Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit beef was good, but...

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
Morning All:

the onions were the star of the show...started with about 3 pounds of "peeled knuckle" that was sliced thin...

Couple of large onions...sliced part way through with a pat of butter in each slice, then topped with a spoonful of beef bullion paste (and some more butter)...

Onto the Egg indirect at 375 to 400...after about 40 minutes add a generous splash of red wine (Merlot this time) and stir up the onions...

after about another 40 to 45 minutes ready to come off...

Didn't take a picture of the serving, but imagine a soft roll topped with copious amounts of sliced beef then topped with several spoons of onion goodness...makes a great open faced sammie meal!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    Awesome!  Adding that to my list to try.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Looks delicious, Jay! Looks like you'll have for later as well. I always call those my make ahead meals - not left overs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That onion looks so good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    Wow those look awesome!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Love that combo... Onions look great!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Bravo......I am looking forward to Vadila season.....great option right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    That looks and sounds awesome, I am going to have to give that a try.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SSN686
    Options

Morning Ron (RRP):

This cook was actually done last Sunday and there weren't many leftovers as our son, D-I-L & 3 grandsons helped eat most of it...I did have just enough left for a small sandwich for lunch this week.

Thanks all...easy recipe and great tasting too!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Don't forget the tiger sauce next time!
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Man those onions look awesome.  Did you do the Pitt beef on the egg as well? I've been meaning to try that...with Tiger sauce of course!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • SSN686
    Options

Morning Robo2015:

Beef was done on the Egg also...not sure what "Tiger sauce" is though...the beef was two pieces one rubbed with DP Raising the Steaks & the other with DP Game On.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• FLgrillinGirl
    Options
    Wow, the onions look delicious, Jay. 
    Happily Egging since 1996, still egging on my original large BGE, along with 6 other Big Green Eggs of assorted sizes.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice cook, Jay. I use onions quite a bit, but I've never cooked them with bouillon paste. Looks delicious!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Robo2015
    Options
    SSN686 said:

Morning Robo2015:

Beef was done on the Egg also...not sure what "Tiger sauce" is though...the beef was two pieces one rubbed with DP Raising the Steaks & the other with DP Game On.

Man that looks good.  I've never made tiger sauce, but here is a receipe for it from a cook book I have:

• Robo2015
    Options

• Robo2015
    Options
    I had that type of sandwich in MD and they serve it with that sauce...so good.  Although, with those onions of yours I'm sure you don't need anything else!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    What did you do for the beef?  Never made it before.  I've done a lot of chuck roasts for pulled beef, tri-tips / flank / flap for phillies, but want to try something for more traditional pit beef or roast beef sandwiches.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Robo's recipe is pretty good. I add a bit of old bay/JOs or creole seasoning. Let it sit for a few hours in the fridge as well.

@stlcharcoal, pit beef is traditionally made with bottom or top round. I like to use sirloin roasts or sirloin cap roasts as well.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I use a 18-20# whole top round when I make my pit beef.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset