Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado Joe vs BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    I'll take two of whatever Ozzie_Isaac is drinking or smoking.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Back in the days, the KJ did not have a spark screen on the draft door; it was a big problem for me as my BGE is used on a wooden deck.  Not sure if they have one now.

edited March 2016
    Options
    paqman said:
    Back in the days, the KJ did not have a spark screen on the draft door; it was a big problem for me as my BGE is used on a wooden deck.  Not sure if they have one now.
    The KJ's do not have a slideable spark screen like the BGE's.

The two larger KJ's (Classic and Big Joe) have a slide out ash tray that incorporates a spark green. The KJ Jr. has neither.

I have a KJ Jr. and have never noticed sparks shooting out from the bottom vent and for me that is of no concern as my patio is concrete.

If one felt the need for a spark screen on a KJ Jr. it is a trivial thing to place a section of mesh screen in the bottom vent.

I own both brands and prefer the KJ's. They are just as well made, have as good a warranty/customer service, and given what comes with them out of the box are a much better value (especially at KJ/Costco Roadshow pricing). KJ's are gaining enough market share these days that aftermarket vendors are also making accessories that will fit them (e.g. Kick Ash baskets).

The one downside may be that KJ has nowhere near the dealer network that BGE has and that may be important/useful to many folks. If they are lucky enough to have a decent dealer.

One other thing I like about KJ is that they offer their two larger models in a version (Stand-Alone) that is meant to be placed into a table or platform. It comes without the net/cart and instead has stainless steel bands and a stainless steel top vent. They look pretty sharp.

Also, KJ is working on a few things that are providing incremental improvements to their kamados. They just released the Joetisserie which will fit a Large BGE and a few folks here have bought and are enjoying. They also are developing a new top vent that should be available no too far down the road. The new vent will look and perform similarly to a Smokeware vent so there won't be any concerns about rain getting in or the problems with the daisy wheel type vent when opening/closing the dome. They are also developing cast iron fireboxes in order to replace the more fragile ceramic fireboxes.That should make users happy as they will not be as prone to cracking and should also lessen KJ's warranty replacement costs.

For some folks the fact that the KJ's are not green is a deal breaker and that's cool - to each their own.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how does the Primo cookers compare?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    on set-ups, we can do more things with the egg than we can with kjoe. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    tjv said:

t
    Not straight from the factory you can't.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    tjv said:

t
    Not straight from the factory you can't.
    I've cooked, owned and sold Kjoe,  know them as well I a know bge.  that's why my comments have we, as in CGS.  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.