Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT 5th wheels RVs

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
I did not want to hijack Mayberry's very cool thread. 
My Beautiful Wife and I are in the market for a RV. We started doing research on the purchase of one. We know what we want, but we don't know the quality of the different manufacturers. Any input wI'll be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've always had a fascination with Airstream. I don't own one, but that's what I would buy if money was no problem. They look like they are premium quality.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Another case of "You get what you pay for". We bought a used 5th wheel a few years back and let somebody else take the big depreciation hit. There's a fairly big used market of lightly used RV's where people get rid of them quickly for various reasons.
    South SLO County
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    Another case of "You get what you pay for". We bought a used 5th wheel a few years back and let somebody else take the big depreciation hit. There's a fairly big used market of lightly used RV's where people get rid of them quickly for various reasons.
    Yes, they are a case of buying high and selling low. Airstream appears to not follow that rule. I've been looking for a good used deal for a long time and can't find one.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

This is mine. It is a 2009 Heartland Landmark. Been very happy with it.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    We have been doing the tour of the local RV Shows in Michigan for the last 2 or 3 weeks.  We are going to move from our Motorhome to a 5th Wheel.  The choices are overwhelming.  We are trying to find the right balance of length and finish while trying to stay in and around 10K pounds.  Decided that it may be better to find my tow vehicle first.

If you find a new/used model, good idea to prowl the user forums.
  • Slabotnick
    Slabotnick Posts: 215
    Options
    RAC said:

I see you take your camping sized egg with you. Gotta eat. 
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    I've had good luck with mine, 28' Glendale. Also in the market for a newer one, maybe a little shorter with different layout. Bunk beds in the back were great when the kids were around but long past that now.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • RMSmithJr
    RMSmithJr Posts: 30
    Options
    We had a Montana 32RLT for 8 years.  Pulled it with a 2005 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado, the last year with the consumer 8.1L gasser. Awesome set-up.  Comfortable to drive from one gas station to the next.

Now we have a 2008 Winnebago Destination Class A RV. Freightliner chassis and Cummins deisel pulling a 2015 Subaru Forestor. This will hopefully be our final RV in the pop up tent trailer X2, travel trailer, fifth wheel, Class A journey. 

It took us twenty years to get here, and there have been no disappointments along the way. 
    SalemsLot, Maine
    BGE.L since December 2015
    Cabela's model 2007-November 2015
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I posted this on @Mayberry's thread, but check out irv2.com. It's a great forum with a ton of RV knowledge on it.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    We used to have a Sunnybrook 36ft triple axle, triple slides. Great RV very well laid out. Pulled it with a 2000 F350 crew cab diesel. With no problems on flat ground.  On grade it had some issues. So I upgraded to the Banks power pak setup with the optional engine brake. Going up mountains is not the problem it's coming down you have to watch out for. Good truck brakes along with trailer brakes is a must. Have fun shopping. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    My wife and I have a 40ft Montana fifth wheel that we love. Plenty of room for us and our 4 legged children. I pull it with a 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins diesel, the truck handles the camper very well.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    edited March 2016
    Options
    We have a Grand Designs Momentum 385TH toy hauler. My advice, go look at everything then start narrowing it down. Your tow vehicle will limit your trailer or it should because a lot of the 5th wheels get heavy, especially the toy hailers. We started out with a 35 foot Fuzion toy hauler then sold it last summer and bought the 43 foot Momentum. 

Airstreams are very nice, almost a cult like flowing, but very expensive for the amount of space in my opinion. They are cool though and well built.  Toy haulers fit our lifestyle and we can just throw whatever we want in the garage. Going camping next week for spring break and my son and I are taking our Hobie fishing kayaks, can't wait. 

I'm thinking I'm going to have to go buy the Mini Max for the RV.  
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GregW said:
    I've always had a fascination with Airstream. I don't own one, but that's what I would buy if money was no problem. They look like they are premium quality.
    Agreed, they look to be put together well of those I have seen. I am not sure there is enough room in them though.
    i appreciate the input, and we will investigate further.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    I have been researching this avenue. I have been in a couple that were used only one big trip and being sold, after the experience was not exactly what they wanted. I may do this, if I find the right one.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

RAC said:

Nice Rig, I have seen Heartland's product and they are impressive. Thank you for sharing. Love the egg!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Sammi said:
    I've had good luck with mine, 28' Glendale. Also in the market for a newer one, maybe a little shorter with different layout. Bunk beds in the back were great when the kids were around but long past that now.
    We will be traveling without children unless we become fortunate enough for grandchildren. I have looked at Glendale's before, and every owner I have communicated with has been very pleased with their decision.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

RMSmithJr said:
    We had a Montana 32RLT for 8 years.  Pulled it with a 2005 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado, the last year with the consumer 8.1L gasser. Awesome set-up.  Comfortable to drive from one gas station to the next.

Now we have a 2008 Winnebago Destination Class A RV. Freightliner chassis and Cummins deisel pulling a 2015 Subaru Forestor. This will hopefully be our final RV in the pop up tent trailer X2, travel trailer, fifth wheel, Class A journey. 

It took us twenty years to get here, and there have been no disappointments along the way. 
    Cool cruiser story. We have always been backpackers, and tenters, and have loved it. My Beautiful Wife and I have been doing research, and we like the idea of pulling the RV and using it as a starting/ending point for our backpacking excursions. With what we have spent on VRBO over the last 10 years, in Europe and here, we could have had a sweet travel set up.
    Thank you for sharing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

jeffwit said:
    I posted this on @Mayberry's thread, but check out irv2.com. It's a great forum with a ton of RV knowledge on it.
    Thank you!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    rv.net
    Thank you!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

We used to have a Sunnybrook 36ft triple axle, triple slides. Great RV very well laid out. Pulled it with a 2000 F350 crew cab diesel. With no problems on flat ground.  On grade it had some issues. So I upgraded to the Banks power pak setup with the optional engine brake. Going up mountains is not the problem it's coming down you have to watch out for. Good truck brakes along with trailer brakes is a must. Have fun shopping. 
    Excellent point and will do. We will be spending much time in the mountains and on the back roads such as the drive through Stanislaugh from Tahoe to Yosemite. Brakes will be very important.
    thank you for the insight.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

My wife and I have a 40ft Montana fifth wheel that we love. Plenty of room for us and our 4 legged children. I pull it with a 2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins diesel, the truck handles the camper very well.
    Some very good friends have a Montana, and praise it. It is roomy comfortable and large. They too are in the three five series diesel, and have told me they forget it is back there. I really like their set up.
    Thank you for sharing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    C130 said:
    We have a Grand Designs Momentum 385TH toy hauler. My advice, go look at everything then start narrowing it down. Your tow vehicle will limit your trailer or it should because a lot of the 5th wheels get heavy, especially the toy hailers. We started out with a 35 foot Fuzion toy hauler then sold it last summer and bought the 43 foot Momentum. 

Airstreams are very nice, almost a cult like flowing, but very expensive for the amount of space in my opinion. They are cool though and well built.  Toy haulers fit our lifestyle and we can just throw whatever we want in the garage. Going camping next week for spring break and my son and I are taking our Hobie fishing kayaks, can't wait. 

Great points, and will definitely research. I recommend the MM. It travels well and the cooks are awesome. Nothing like a very delicious meal and a couple of adult beverages after a long day of hiking and exploring.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    C130 said:

Great points, and will definitely research. I recommend the MM. It travels well and the cooks are awesome. Nothing like a very delicious meal and a couple of adult beverages after a long day of hiking and exploring.

True, we eat very well when we camp! Kids love eating a big breakfast, bacon or sausage most every morning. After buying the large BGE a month ago I'm hooked and want to be able to do the same cooking while camping.  
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    One nice thing about a motorhome is having the interior accessible going down the road. And insurance on one is a lot cheaper than folks might realize.
    Gittin' there...
  • YukonRon
    Options
    One nice thing about a motorhome is having the interior accessible going down the road. And insurance on one is a lot cheaper than folks might realize.
    Very true. Bathroom breaks can be a challenge.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    So Ron, since buying the Newell have you been pleased with the product? Does it meet all your expectations of a decent RV?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I would rent the biggest nicest one I could afford and when finished go put the keys back in the guys hand and let it be his problem. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    So Ron, since buying the Newell have you been pleased with the product? Does it meet all your expectations of a decent RV?
    Very, very funny. I still use a Marmot tent and an antique Ford truck. To quote @SGH :
    "If I had your money, I would buy one of these."

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    For a million bucks, you’d think you’d get a better paint job.