Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New knock off at Costco

Options
13»

Comments

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Costco has a lot of regional variability in what is actually carried in each region/stores. Not sure if those Pit Boss kamados are going to appear nationwide or if this is a trial balloon in a few stores.

The thing that concerns me most about Costco stocking  some less known brand of kamado is if this will mean that they are going to no longer be hosting the Kamado Joe Roadshows.

Great pricing on Joes and lump at those. Would hate to see those go away.

There's a roadshow going on now in my area.  Had two buddies pick up their first kamado cookers this week from there.  $780 for a classic with a bunch of accessories is a hell of a deal.  I'm just happy to have my local network of eggers expanding (there's not many of us up in the PNW) regardless of the color.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    fishepa said:
    Where is Luigi?

exactly what went through my head!  a-hay maahrio, lets hava some bbq!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is just me speaking as one consumer. But for my money, I wouldn't buy a mid priced "bargain" kamado. I would go with BGE or comparably priced kamados (BroilKing Keg, Primo, Kamado Joe, etc) or with the cheapest (Akorn).

My reasoning is this: a couple-three hundred dollars isn't enough for me to accept the risk of the unknown on a product that I am going to depend on almost daily for pleasure and sustenance. $999? $699? I'll take the name I know and trust. The difference amortized over the life of the unit is insignificant.

On the other hand, $700 would do the trick. Akorns are cheap, and cheaply made, but they are still one hell of a value. Were I to get a second grill to use for backup, or for parties, I'd get an Akorn or a Weber kettle.

At the top end, the Komodo Kamado is just too much for me to spend at my age (I'm in my 60s). 20 years ago I'd be all in on that son of a gun, though. I'm a sucker for stuff like that.
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    The ceramics look substantial, but with so many crooks, crannies, and thickness transitions, the opportunity for stress risers looks scary. 

@Jeepster47, I agree completely.  Those corners look like a bad deal for crack initiation...

I don't like that they deviated from the ubiquitous damper configuration of the BGE, KJ, Primo, etc. either...  ;-)

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    KingtUT said:
    If something ever happens to my BGE I will be buying a Vision or whatever that is instead of another BGE as long as all my accessories will fit and work with it.  BGE should be ashamed that they dont offer all of the features of a Vision grill for 3 to 4 hundred dollars more. Love the BGE but the more I see of those Visions, the more I get pissed about not shopping around and falling for the big brand name.

I am guessing that is referring to something self-induced (dropping, using a hammer on it )  and not something generally covered under warranty... I don't see any value to any of the displayed "features".  Just because something has more bells and whistles, does not mean it is any better. Seems like a whole lot more areas to have air leakage around that bottom "drawer"...   I have an XL which has a lot more surface area than this... just sayin... 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Not sure about a Vision, but would definitely by a KJ at the road show. BGE resting on its laurels while KJ is releasing innovations every year. Divide & conquer & Joetisserie. 
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    Options
    OneNole03 said:
    @henapple i dont want to hijack the thread, but i have a lot of family that lives in Murfreesboro. Every time I hear Murfreesboro I think of a small town but it is amazing of how many different people I come across that live there.

My uncle that lives there Qs a lot, but in a way that I have never heard of. Wish I could remember what he called it but says its popular in that area.
    I went to MTSU and grew up east of Murfreesboro, near Smithville.  I have lots of family in the area. 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    If I had started with my medium instead of the XL, I'd be taking a hard look at the Pit Boss 24" at the Costco price for my next cooker.  Nest, shelves, and 2 level grid included at that price.   Add a ceramic stone for a heat deflector and it can do a lot of cooking for the money.  Maybe if I saw it in person, I'd see something that would cast doubt. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Cuzzi
    Cuzzi Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the xl pitboss and I love it. Granted I have never owned a bge but for 600 bucks. I came from a Weber one touch.

I currently have wings on it right now:)
  • mvnole
    mvnole Posts: 54
    Options
    I guess the question is how long will some of these other companies be around.  Hard to get a warranty resolved if the company is belly up.  Kinda why I went with the green egg. Been around forever and not going anywhere. 
    LBGE 
    FWB, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mvnole said:
    I guess the question is how long will some of these other companies be around.  Hard to get a warranty resolved if the company is belly up.  Kinda why I went with the green egg. Been around forever and not going anywhere. 
    I agree but That's the one thing about Costco- you may not be able to get parts if they go out of business but Costco will give you your money back forever if you aren't happy. IF you are going to risk it, Costco is the place to do it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX