Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen butts...

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Placed 2 frozen butts on the egg last night through a haze of Woodford. Woke up, had coffee and suddenly remembered I was egging. No difference in taste or cook time at all. Carolina spicy rub is my new go to. 

Rutland is shot. Dollar bill test? More like a roll of quarters test. Still held 240 with the digiq. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @henapple - great bark right there.  You must have been quite rough to hose up the Rutland.  No worries, the gasket can't communicate ;)  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I cooked three frozen butts for a work picnic last summer and they turned out a bit dry.  A little apple juice & DIzzy Dust made it work.
    Flint, Michigan
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Yeah I tried frozen or almost frozen last weekend. Great bark. Mest wasn't as moist as it usually is. But couldn't tell it it was the difference in boneless or bone in. Normally skip the boneless but price was right 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • W5CI
    W5CI Posts: 6
    Options
    You put Frozen butts on the Egg, or previously frozen
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Last time I did a frozen butt on the egg it wasn't as moist as usual.  I'll defrost from now on unless not an option.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Carolina Spicy rub?  Your own mix or bought?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    The loss of moisture probably migjt have less to do with cooking from frozen than it does how they were frozen

if they were in foam trays and plastic from the meat department, that's probably the problem. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• henapple
    Options
    @W5CI... Frozen. Soaked(in cryo) enough to hold the rub. 
    @tarheelmatt... A gift. It was the best tasting bark I've done. 
    Any moisture loss I blame on Woodford...lol. It was moist as usual although I lost some of the smaller one....again, Woodford. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Bark looks awesome.  What's up with the Rutland?  I thought those were pretty permanent.  Did it burn up or just come unglued? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    What I loved most was seeing an Egg as dirty as mine. Most pictures show really clean Egg exteriors to shame me. You go, henapple!!!!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

So that would be a pair of "Woodford Butts"?

Seems with the right amount of Woodford on hand, who gives a **** on how moist the butts are!!

You da man there henapple........

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Any chance less fat rendering occurs in the middle when you start with frozen d/t less time at a fat rendering temp?

edit - looks great @henapple
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looks solid.  I'd have no problem eating that
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    The loss of moisture probably migjt have less to do with cooking from frozen than it does how they were frozen

if they were in foam trays and plastic from the meat department, that's probably the problem. 
    Cryo pack instantly to foodsaver and frozen quickly. 

I'm gonna assume I like bone in more. I could smoke pork on my sleep. It was drier but better bark so trade off I guess. I get good bark anyway but loved the chunky stuff this last go around. 

Im an outside pull/chop guy 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You know, if you'd have followed the instructions, you wouldn't have a leaking gasket. You gotta bunch it!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great. Both my eggs leak, doesn't seem to matter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    LMAO!!  That's what you get for winging and not following directions.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Did you bunch it up like @rrp suggest? I have a hard time believing that smoke could escape a Rutland 

analyze adapt overcome

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Bunch, bunch, bunch it up.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Bark looks awesome.  What's up with the Rutland?  I thought those were pretty permanent.  Did it burn up or just come unglued? 
    The BGE is not capable of reaching 2,200º at gasket level necessary to damage a Rutland.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options

Did you bunch it up like @rrp suggest? I have a hard time believing that smoke could escape a Rutland 
    Been thru this before, but no he did not buy it from me. I'm kinda anal in my directions about application. Heck - my large Rutland gasket just hit 13 years of age and doesn't leak...but what do I know? LOL
  • Mattman3969
    Options

analyze adapt overcome

• henapple
    Options
    @RRP...   I'm sure it's my fault. There's absolutely sure there's no way a gasket could not work. No, I didn't by from you... Amazon. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm glad the gasket mystery is cleared up now, but it did make for a very cool pic of the smoke.
  • henapple
    Options
    Rutland gunked up..   
  • RRP
    Options
    Rutland not junked up - compare the compactness which still prevents leakage plus spring to the gasket.

• henapple
    Options
    Mine is gunked up. I realize you're defensive of the Rutland. I'm not claiming it's a pos..... Just that mine is full of crud. Yes, I installed it correctly.... It's not rocket science. I used the correct glue and bunched it...not my first. Mine is merely full of ****. 
  • RRP
    Options
    henapple said:
    Mine is gunked up. I realize you're defensive of the Rutland. I'm not claiming it's a pos..... Just that mine is full of crud. Yes, I installed it correctly.... It's not rocket science. I used the correct glue and bunched it...not my first. Mine is merely full of ****. 
    OK! Peace!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    Yes, I installed it correctly.... It's not rocket science. 
    No you didn't and yes it is Unc ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @RRP
    You should whip Uncle Apples a$$ for his insolences ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.