Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOBOT Beta Temperature Controller Demo

Options
reinhart36
reinhart36 Posts: 253
edited March 2016 in EggHead Forum
Howdy,

Here's an introduction to the SMOBOT Beta prototype: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE8YKKz2pp4" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Video</a>

A big thanks to Tom Streeter (Crankybear Media) for trading me a a demo video for a controller!

All I did was send a controller to Tom without any instructions, and he sent me back this outstanding video.

@tom_streeter

Let me know of any questions.

Kind regards,
Eric

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cool video!  Love the different approach to temp control!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    The video shows what it does. Maybe it should be added to your website (with minor modifications)

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Very cool.  I am intrigued and I subscribed for more info. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That's pretty cool.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

Is this the same user that had a prototype last year(ish)? 

I just signed up, pretty cool.

• reinhart36
    Options

Thanks for the compliments and interest!

@stompbox: Yes, it's me.  This was a far bigger project than I anticipated and took about 2X longer than I'd planned..  ;)

It's been lots of fun though.  Just beginning to be rewarded by seeing people use these things.  Very entertaining!

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    @reinhart36 This looks very interesting. Battery powered?
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    @reinhart36 This looks very interesting. Battery powered?
    It can run off 9v battery or be plugged in.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Looks interesting, does it have a AC adapter? Signed up for notices.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That's a cool product idea. Thanks for sharing.
    I haven't been to the website yet (data may be there) but what are thoughts on pricepoint and such?

I would rather use something like this, since as the video points out...it's just a robot doing what I would be doing anyway.  Seems pretty simple to mount and setup.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    tcracing said:
    Looks interesting, does it have a AC adapter?
    yes
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Looks really neat. Nice video by @tom_streeter
    New Orleans LA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Keeping that unit clean will be the challenge. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • reinhart36
    edited March 2016
    Options

Howdy,

Actually, keeping the damper clean isn't a problem, as it turns out.  I used to share your concern, but with 6 years of use of this concept, it's proven just fine.

This video is an extremely heavily used damper cold and stuck.  Just break it loose before starting, and carry on as normal. 

Once things heat up, the funk softens and doesn't cause trouble. 

On one or two occasions, I've been compelled to "clean" my damper either for aesthetic reasons, or because I was paranoid that it _might_ start to have trouble moving (never saw that actually manifested).

All I did was remove that center screw/nut that hold the two plates together, allowing them to swing apart (still connected to the servo linkage), and I took a couple scrapes with a putty knife.  Ten minute round trip, at most.

Also, see the last FAQ at http://www.smobot.com/

Thanks, 
    Eric

• tom_streeter
    tom_streeter Posts: 8
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Thank you!  It was a lot fun to make. Any time I can work "robot apocalypse" into a piece I'm happy. I'm easily amused. Oh, and this thing is a joy to cook with.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Thank you!  It was a lot fun to make. Any time I can work "robot apocalypse" into a piece I'm happy. I'm easily amused. Oh, and this thing is a joy to cook with.

The video was really cool.  Very well done :)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Perhaps a stupid question....but, I'll ask anyways. Can it be used &/or modified for use with a Smokeware cap vs DFMT?  I remember when you first started tinkering with the idea. My how it has evolved. Glad to see it coming together for ya Eric.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I see the wheels spinning. Such an engineer. :wink: (This is a compliment). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Seems like a cool product, I'd be interested in buying one when available.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• reinhart36
    Options
    Thanks guys.

We'll be emailing a survey to everyone who signed-up (or who still will) for more info on smobot from the website. www.smobot.com 

Sadly, since there are more interested parties than hardware sets, we're in need of down selecting some.  Basically, we'll be picking people who are apt to grill the most.  ;-)

Thanks to everyone for all of the complements and interest!  Been a lot of fun. 

Eric