Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart RO Sale

Options
Tak
Tak Posts: 145
Does anyone when Walmart does their annual sale on RO?...hoping to stock up as the weather is getting warmer

Comments

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I was hoping this was a heads up on RO going on sale. I have 2 bags in the garage which will buy me some time.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Normally for me, Menards has a big sale in the spring time.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    Bought some 17lb bags a few weeks ago for $9.84. Thought that was pretty good.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

I just found a place local last week that has RO 17# bags for $8.80 as the normal price.  I about fell over, that is $3 or $4 less than home depot I think.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    stompbox said:

I just found a place local last week that has RO 17# bags for $8.80 as the normal price.  I about fell over, that is $3 or $4 less than home depot I think.

That is a great deal.  Where did you find that @stompbox

@Tak - if my memory is correct I think the Walmart RO sale is usually memorial day and labor day.  They might do one during spring as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• stompbox
    Options
    stompbox said:

That is a great deal.  Where did you find that @stompbox

@Tak - if my memory is correct I think the Walmart RO sale is usually memorial day and labor day.  They might do one during spring as well.  
    The Restaurant Store... I just looked at their website and it says $11 and change, but the tag at the store says $8 and change.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Looks to me like walmart no longer carries RO. I saw one listing on their website, ridiculous price and shipped/sold by someone else. I haven't seen any in my store in a while now, though I haven't really looked (or asked). Didn't think much of it since it's winter in new england, but now... Yet another reason to avoid wm!

SmokeyPitt said:
    I think the Walmart RO sale is usually memorial day and labor day.  They might do one during spring as well.  
    @SmokeyPitt... Memorial Day IS spring. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Home Depot for me has gone to 15 lb bags as opposed to the 17 lb ones. Haven't been to wally world's or Menard's yet.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mikee
    Options
    I just checked Restaurant Store's website and added a bag of RO to my cart. Came up $12.59; which is what they were charging several months ago. If you have a business license, you get the lower price of $11.99. I did pick up a couple bags while there several months ago and it was the 2 worst bags of RO I have ever gotten. Nothing but small pieces. I did try the Laredo brand which was $2 less and that lump seemed fine.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks to me like walmart no longer carries RO. I saw one listing on their website, ridiculous price and shipped/sold by someone else. I haven't seen any in my store in a while now, though I haven't really looked (or asked). Didn't think much of it since it's winter in new england, but now... Yet another reason to avoid wm!

SmokeyPitt said:
    I think the Walmart RO sale is usually memorial day and labor day.  They might do one during spring as well.  
    @SmokeyPitt... Memorial Day IS spring. =)
    Doh!  :grimacing:  You are correct sir.  It feels like summer here in GA! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I'll check the Augusta store this afternoon.  I cant remember the exact date when I loaded up on the $8 16 lb bags last year...but it was in March.
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • stompbox
    Options
    Mikee said:
    I just checked Restaurant Store's website and added a bag of RO to my cart. Came up $12.59; which is what they were charging several months ago. If you have a business license, you get the lower price of $11.99. I did pick up a couple bags while there several months ago and it was the 2 worst bags of RO I have ever gotten. Nothing but small pieces. I did try the Laredo brand which was $2 less and that lump seemed fine.
    I will swing by sometime soon and take a photo if it is correct.  The odd thing I noticed is the price tag on it was not above it or below it, it was sideways on a post next to it. 
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    Just checked my photo stream, and the picture of when I filled my pick-up bed full of RO was dated Dec 15. I hope they have another sale in the spring, but the Rockwood has spoiled me a little...
  • Mikee
    Options
    stompbox said:
    I will swing by sometime soon and take a photo if it is correct.  The odd thing I noticed is the price tag on it was not above it or below it, it was sideways on a post next to it. 
    I was just there on Tuesday looking for a carbon steel fry pan. Since I'm still ok on lump, I didn't bother to walk where the lump is located.
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    My local Menard's has RO going for $5.99 for 8.8 lb bag. 
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    Please sound the alert when the sale happens in your area....I use RO for my fast cooks like burgers, wings and stuff like that....try to save my RW for low and slow cooks
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Home Depot for me has gone to 15 lb bags as opposed to the 17 lb ones. Haven't been to wally world's or Menard's yet.
    I picked up a few bags from HD recently and realized the different bag size yet the price did not change.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Nuts, I just checked Menards and saw 18 lb bags for 5.97.... then realized it's briquettes. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    edited March 2016
    Options
    None at the Augusta Walmart. 

EDIT:  I looked back and saw I picked it up March 15 last year. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    Options
    blind99 said:

Nuts, I just checked Menards and saw 18 lb bags for 5.97.... then realized it's briquettes. 

I grabbed a handful of the Oklahoma Joe apple shavings that they have on sale now for $2/bag for my virgin MM cook and soaked them. It seemed to smoke fairly well yet I have no idea if it's a value or not. Used the same RO on sale that Chris8938 mentioned. It may not be the best yet it's fairly consistent and I've yet to come across what I would consider a bad bag (green in color). Small pork tenderloin cooked direct on a GG turned out pretty good for not really knowing what was going to happen.