Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs???

Options
toomsdpt
toomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Celebrating Father's Day on Fri and plan on doing some thighs. In my opinion no better BBQ chicken then thighs. But I have some Dizzy Rub and some of my own rub that I made ready to go and I was wondering what is best to put on the thighs before the rub....Veg oil? mustard? [p]any suggestions?

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    I agree about the thighs. There must be a million ways to cook chicken, so I would experiment. Last night all I did was coat with EVOO and then dust with regular ole greek seasoning and they were great. Although you might try an Asian taste by brushing with a little sesame oil or teriake(sp?) I've also tried truffle oil, and on and on. Now that you mentioned mustard I guess I'll have to try that too.

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    toomsdpt,[p]I use a bit of olive oil and Raging River Rub for most of my cooks. Other times just a bit of salt and pepper then at the end I brush on some of D.L. Jardines Orange Zest BBQ sauce to make 'sticky chicken' that is finger licking good. It has a slightly sweet start and a bit of a pepper kick at the end. Very good on pork as well.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Wyldwood
    Wyldwood Posts: 84
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    Try "BEST cajun chicken ever!!!" posted by PICK on May 18, at 11:52. Use the search at the bottom of the forum. It's great chicken!

• Wyldwood
    Wyldwood Posts: 84
    Options
    Cook at 350 direct.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    toomsdpt,
    Depending on how many you are doing, I would think about going indirect with a drip pan. I did a dozen the other night and so much fat dripped into the coals that the smoke left a nasty flavor on them. The meat was fantastic but the skin tasted bad. I did some legs a few nights ago, indirect, drip pan, 400 dome, and cooked to 185 internal. Crispy and delish. -RP

• T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    Have you tried Nature Boy's Tangy Chicken Thighs recipe in the forum here? They are awesome!
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    Pc140118.jpg
    <p />toomsdpt,[p]I really like Grill Creations "Citrus Grill". Or really any citrus flavored spice (e.g. Lemon Pepper, Lime Pepper, etc.) I wash and dry the thighs, pierce the skin many many times, spice generously, and give a light dusting with corn starch. I cook direct on a raised grid at 350 for about an hour. At the end of an hour I let the temp creeps up until the skin crisps up. I use no smoking wood. I think I might make some this weekend too! [p]Ok, ok so they aren't thighs but they end up having some really crispy skin[p]E