Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chicken Thighs???

toomsdpttoomsdpt Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Celebrating Father's Day on Fri and plan on doing some thighs. In my opinion no better BBQ chicken then thighs. But I have some Dizzy Rub and some of my own rub that I made ready to go and I was wondering what is best to put on the thighs before the rub....Veg oil? mustard? [p]any suggestions?

Comments

• ronbeauxronbeaux Posts: 988
    toomsdpt,
    I agree about the thighs. There must be a million ways to cook chicken, so I would experiment. Last night all I did was coat with EVOO and then dust with regular ole greek seasoning and they were great. Although you might try an Asian taste by brushing with a little sesame oil or teriake(sp?) I've also tried truffle oil, and on and on. Now that you mentioned mustard I guess I'll have to try that too.

• EggRacerEggRacer Posts: 400
    toomsdpt,[p]I use a bit of olive oil and Raging River Rub for most of my cooks. Other times just a bit of salt and pepper then at the end I brush on some of D.L. Jardines Orange Zest BBQ sauce to make 'sticky chicken' that is finger licking good. It has a slightly sweet start and a bit of a pepper kick at the end. Very good on pork as well.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • WyldwoodWyldwood Posts: 84
    toomsdpt,
    Try "BEST cajun chicken ever!!!" posted by PICK on May 18, at 11:52. Use the search at the bottom of the forum. It's great chicken!

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    toomsdpt,
    Depending on how many you are doing, I would think about going indirect with a drip pan. I did a dozen the other night and so much fat dripped into the coals that the smoke left a nasty flavor on them. The meat was fantastic but the skin tasted bad. I did some legs a few nights ago, indirect, drip pan, 400 dome, and cooked to 185 internal. Crispy and delish. -RP

• T-47T-47 Posts: 84
    Have you tried Nature Boy's Tangy Chicken Thighs recipe in the forum here? They are awesome!
  • EggecutionerEggecutioner Posts: 628
    Pc140118.jpg
    <p />toomsdpt,[p]I really like Grill Creations "Citrus Grill". Or really any citrus flavored spice (e.g. Lemon Pepper, Lime Pepper, etc.) I wash and dry the thighs, pierce the skin many many times, spice generously, and give a light dusting with corn starch. I cook direct on a raised grid at 350 for about an hour. At the end of an hour I let the temp creeps up until the skin crisps up. I use no smoking wood. I think I might make some this weekend too! [p]Ok, ok so they aren't thighs but they end up having some really crispy skin[p]E