Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh h*ll, my charcoal grate broke. New grate, or that other thing?

Options
Yeah, after 5 years the crack it developed a while ago finally found the other side, and it isn't straight across, so the smaller piece falls down into the ash basin.

My rationale for replacing it with the same piece is that IMO there's nothing really wrong with that design. I can hold 200* on my egg, and I can spin the needle to 800* and beyond. And the key to having a successful tool is knowing how it performs, and with the original charcoal grate I know the settings and hot spots.

The argument for replacing it with that other thing, the name of which I do not know, is that it is probably less likely to crack, and probably won't cost as much, and I can always learn new stuff. And of course there are people who have used the replacement thing and think it works better.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I went hi que and never looked back. My
    stock grate folded like a Pringle. Hi que going strong for a few years so far
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Like a Pringle? You are on fire tonight.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bottom grate has a limited 5 year warranty. Get a replacement grate if still within your warranty. That's what I did. I still use my cracked firebox grate but have a backup knowing I can't replace it under warranty anymore 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    HighQue in my small & large.  Much more air flow in each. Haven't put one in the mini yet but that thing in an inferno.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I'd replace with a Kick Ash Basket

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    This.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I went with 2 weber grates set 90° to each other and wired together. I will replace them with the same if they fail in the future. I think they were about $15 each. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Bottom grate has a limited 5 year warranty. Get a replacement grate if still within your warranty. That's what I did. I still use my cracked firebox grate but have a backup knowing I can't replace it under warranty anymore 
    Well, it will be five years in May, so I guess I'll make a phone call to my dealer tomorrow.
  • Mosca
    Options

HighQue in my small & large.  Much more air flow in each. Haven't put one in the mini yet but that thing in an inferno.  
    What is the benefit for you, with the extra airflow? I'm not being argumentive, I want to know your reasoning.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I've gone through the original ceramic grates - yes Virginia, originally BGEs came with ceramic ones! Then I followed the trend to using Lodge brand cast iron trivets. Those didn't work well and then a friend had a cool one custom made for me for my Large, but my small was still evolving. In that small I tried a Weber grate that rusted and then I switched - and paid for - a BGE grate. That POS didn't last long and I upgraded to a KAB. I loved the KAB so much I also bought one for my Large. Don't fret - go KAB and you'll be happy you did!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Mosca said:

What is the benefit for you, with the extra airflow? I'm not being argumentive, I want to know your reasoning.
    I used to have clogged air holes on LnS cooks but no more.  The get up to heat speed decreased a significant amount.  The only downside is I had to relearn my vent settings.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    hi que on large, med, Kamado Joe Jr. In my opinion this should be standard equipment 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    The Kick Ash Basket is the way to go, Hi Q would be my second choice.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My bottom fire grate exploded during a cook, chipping and cracking the dome.
    Since that day I have used a KAB. For every new BGE I order the KAB for it prior to the first cook.
    i am extremely pleased with the performance and the added ease of use. Control of temps seems to be better, faster heating, and lump usage has not significantly increased per cook. 
    Buy the KAB.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I am also a KAB convert. Airflow is great and so easy to clean and add lump for cooks..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    For my Large I purchased the Hi Que before I knew about the KAB, so I got that also. Unbeatable combo, but not the way most would go. On the MiniMax I have the KAB and use it with the stock cast grate, works out well.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The open fire grates lessen the chance of blocked air flow. Small pieces of lump can fall through into the ash pit, so a bit of lump is wasted. The original fire grates do provide a thermal buffering between the fire and the egg's bottom shell.  The open fire grates allow direct heat to hit the egg bottom, putting it under more thermal stress than when using the OEM grate.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    Options
    @Mosca - What size egg? I've got one for a large I don't use. I'll ship it to you if you want it.
    Austin, TX
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I have the hi Que and KAB. KAB is nice don't have to clean out nearly as much.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • roadglide
    Options

I find with the hi que I cannot keep the temp as low as I want it at times. Probably going back to my original.

• Mosca
    Options
    @Mosca - What size egg? I've got one for a large I don't use. I'll ship it to you if you want it.
    It's a large, I'll PM you! Thanks!
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I agree. If you ever get a Kick Ash Basket, you will never want to go back to the charcoal grate. It makes cleaning the fire box so much easier.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just went digging around in my deck box and realized it is the grate to my KJ Jr, not my large egg. 

Sorry for offering it and not coming through. If I do come across it I'll shoot you another message. 

Fwiw, I have a high que and really like it
    Austin, TX
  • Mosca
    Options
    Just went digging around in my deck box and realized it is the grate to my KJ Jr, not my large egg. 

Sorry for offering it and not coming through. If I do come across it I'll shoot you another message. 

Fwiw, I have a high que and really like it
    Thanks for the offer anyhow, it's all good because my dealer is getting me a replacement under warranty!
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    is it easy to keep the temp low (250ish) with a KAB?  I'd be afraid that the extra air flow would cause the fire to grow, but I may be wrong.  
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    No problems holding 250º.  Airflow is controlled at the bottom screen or top daisy wheel.  The KAB just helps reduce the chance that you might get an internal blockage that could impact proper air movement.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.