Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd cook: Chicken Wings

Options

Wing are one of my favorite foods, I couldn't wait to try smoking my first batch of wings. This was a first of many things on the BGE -1st time cooking chicken, 1st time smoking, first time using the plate setter. Overall, it was OK. 

I was excited to see the temp hover between 275-300 for the entire cook. I played around for about an hour or so just playing with the temp by adjusting one variable at a time (thanks for the tip!). I used apple wood for the smoke and threw on the wings for about 45 minutes. The grate sat on top of the plate setter and I only opened it once at the finish, the color was amazing. I then opened the vents and fired them up for a bit at 550. I wish I would've tried them before I set it on high heat to get that experience. The wings were a bit tough for my liking. I usually brine them first to keep them moist but I was too excited, I wanted to cook so bad. 

Based on my methods, any suggestions from the peanut gallery on what they would do differently regarding the cook?  I'm shooting for juicy and crispy.  Almost but not enough for my first try. 

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    If you want crisp skin crank up the heat. I cook indirect at the felt line about 450 and flip a couple times. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • chuck0531
    chuck0531 Posts: 11
    Options
    I cook wings over indirect heat at 375* for approximately 40-45 minutes.  I flip them them 20 minutes into the cook and cook for an additional 20-25 minutes. Turn out fabulous!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The boys above offer a good option. Raised direct 400 is my go to. Hard to beat. 40 -55 minutes and done.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I usually do mine at 400-425 indirect. 30 min then flip. After another 30 I flip again and sauce. For me the skin is crispy enough at that one hour mark that the sauce will set and the skin doesn't get soggy. I've had the juiciest wings when I put them on slightly frozen. Lots of ways to do it. Just find your favorite way.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Dusting the wings in corn starch is the key to super crispy skin. Looking good there. 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @DoubleRay415 you said the wings were a bit tough, when using wood chips make sure you use just a handful for that many wings, a little goes a long way! Throw them on the fire and let the smoke clear as much as possible, remember "smoking" something does not mean it needs to be doused in smoke, when the chips start burning properly you will still get a good smoke flavour even though the chimney shows no signs of smoke. Biggest mistake people make is throwing the wood chips/chunks on and then putting the meat on instantly! 

I usually start my fire once it's going I would throw the wood chunks on and let the smoke clear.

Here is an example of what it should not look like and is not ready for the meat.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • DoubleRay415
    Options
    I like how y'all use different methods to achieve positive results, thanks for the advice. 

@1move Are you suggesting that smoke toughened the wings?  
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    The boys above offer a good option. Raised direct 400 is my go to. Hard to beat. 40 -55 minutes and done.
    Pretty much the same here.  350ish, slightly raised grid, direct.  Usually about 45 mins.  Turn once about 1/2 to 2/3rds through the cook.  My wings are ridiculously good.  But I almost always do dry rubbed lemon pepper wings.  No sauce.
  • 1move
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like how y'all use different methods to achieve positive results, thanks for the advice. 

@1move Are you suggesting that smoke toughened the wings?  
    @DoubleRay415 yes I am! And if you don't believe me try using a stronger smoke wood next time like a mesquite or hickory and the skin of the wings will taste like you are eating leather! Too much smoke will also do that to the wings
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Cooking chicken for tenderness and crispy skin is a topic where you'll get a lot of different answers.  Depending on my mood, I'll do it one of a couple different ways. I typically cook direct for best results or indirect if I'm feeling lazy.

direct- I'll go 275ish for about an hour.  At the lower temps you're not in a ton of danger of burning the wings, but the direct heat Browns the skin really well and the Maillard reaction lends itself to flavors that can't be replicated indirect. For crisp skin, that just takes time

indirect- 350 for an hour.  Fool proof.  Maybe a slight notch down on the flavor totem pole because of the lack of a Maillard reaction, but still very good.

pro tip:  when loading your egg up with lots of wings, take your grate out of the egg.  You don't have to keep the kid open and screw up your temps.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DoubleRay415
    Options
    @1move thanks for the heads up, I'm a newb when it comes to smoking. 

@johnnyp I had to look up "malliard reaction", good stuff. I'm going to give it another try tonight, hopefully I get better results. 
  • 1move
    edited March 2016
    Options
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • DoubleRay415
    Options
    @1move I forgot about this site, thanks for this!