Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looftlighter, starter cubes, or electric starter?

Options
Before i was given an old electric circular shaped electric starter that turned red hot and started the coals, i used my chimney starter with starter cubes. Before that i used lighter fluid. And so forth. The old rusty starter i had actually melted and broke itself after many years of use and i was wanting feedback from the looftlighter. I dont want starter cubes as they cost money everytime you run out and the electric starter i had worked just fine and only 1 cost intitially when buying it. Technically the electricity spent is a cost but its very minimal. Any recommendations? Looftlighter is kinda pricey tho ($65-$100)
Austin, Tx

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Get a jar of used cooking oil and soak some folded paper towels in the oil...

Great way to use the old oil
  • the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    Weed burner with igniter from Harbor Freight.  Around $25 and works like a charm. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    None of the above. Mapp torch is the ticket. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I use a chimney starter on my gas grill's side burner.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I abandoned my looftlighter for a mapp torch. Much faster, has multiple purposes, and its kinda fun.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Trying to avoid oil soaked paper towels everytime...or having butane/propane torches. Yes its quick and easy but i dont want those methods. Prefer quick, chemical and gas free. Anybody ever rig up a computer fan as a stoker? Tempted to order a $10 fan to install with a toggle switch
    Austin, Tx
  • schafe98
    schafe98 Posts: 46
    Options
    Acn said:
    +1 For the chimney and side burner
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Looflighter for me. Love it. It's quick and easy and has worked like a charm for over a year now out in the elements 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have made a point to light my egg many times in many different ways just to answer this question for customers. They all work quite well and you become more proficient as you repeat the processes. Paper towels and oil is the likely the least expensive, but a pita as far as I am concerned. The electric lighter works well as long as you attend to the lighter and don't allow it to get burned up. My BGE electric lighter lasted 8 years. I am partial to the torch or the starter cubes. You will not like them, because they are the easiest and most expensive IMO. Hey, pick one you like and move forward. Don't sweat it. Enjoy!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Don't get liquored up and forget the electric heat gun..... 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Thats what i was trying to remember the name of! Used it last weekend bending PVC and couldnt remember the name of it. Anybody try that? First thing that came to mind after seeing a looftlighter. Thanks for the input guys!
    Austin, Tx
  • miniMAXd
    miniMAXd Posts: 22
    Options
    I went from starter cubes, electric starter, looftlighter, and currently my favorite method is the rechargeable Bison.  Got it on sale at Costco for $20 last year and wish I would have got 2. Shoots a flame, has a fan, and is cordless. Love it!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use a chimney with 91% rubbing alcohol on some charcoal at the bottom.  Very fast and clean.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    I saw the Bison on youtube but havent found any online. I just got the regular coil that heats up again. Also saw a universal rotisserie for $30! Wifey said no because i just got a pizza stone and peel but i will return tonight at some point to get it  ;)
    Austin, Tx
  • DrK
    DrK Posts: 2
    Options
    I was an oil and paper towel advocate until my daughter and son-in-law gave me a Looftlighter for Christmas.  I love it!  Quick, easy, fun, and no oily mess on your fingers.  My 2 cents.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Isopropyl alcohol work great when no power available for the electric starter.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    I keep 2 or 3 electric starters on hand along with a chimney and cubes just in case...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    MAAP torch

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    1 cube cut in quarters placed at 12-3-6-9 is what I use for a hot fire.  1/2 cube front of center for a LnS. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dos_Eggys
    Dos_Eggys Posts: 31
    Options
    MAAP torch...push button. I use Propane in lieu of MAAP. Although both will work just fine.
    KAB, DOT, Grill Grates, Smokeware Cap
    Picnic Shoulder Addict - Huntley, IL
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I used the starter cubes from the get go and then, after running out, remembered someone on here touting the oil-soaked paper towel. It worked great and it's been my method ever since. It may lead to the suspension of my man card for not using a flame thrower, but it's simple, cheap and works great for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited March 2016
    Options
    M-80 under 3 inches of lump. Light, close lid, and take cover.  Proceed at your own risk and level of common sense.  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Bernzomatic doesn't make MAPP gas weed burners anymore.  So, buy their model JT850 propane weed burner instead. Amazing how little time it takes for 20,000 BTU to light your fire.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I used the paper towel and oil until I received a looftlighter for a gift as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    schafe98 said:
    Acn said:
    +1 For the chimney and side burner
    +1 More, I am becoming proficient at this method
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Gdfein
    Gdfein Posts: 60
    Options
    I had a loft lighter and the aluminum shroud melted. I got a map torch and it works great when I need to start things pronto. Otherwise I prefer the starter cubes. 
    BGE XL Woodlands, TX (Originally from Buffalo, NY but I got here as fast as I could)
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So many ways to light your fire.  I've tried most but I like the MAP torch best.  It's fast and dare I say fun.  Just gotta watch out for the sparks on your clothes and eyes (I keep a pair of goggles with my torch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9laOl7cqR4

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I use electric and mapp to start crazy fast...mapp in one spot for LnS...electric when 350° plus and I'm prepping at the same time. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have used starter cubes, chimney and paper towel with oil.all work very well. I like the towel with oil method. I use an old mason jar with used cooking oil for the soaked towels. I cook with a kitchen towel over my shoulder, and use latex gloves, so oily residue on the hands is not an issue.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    I like the idea of a looftlighter, but I don't have easy access to an electrical outlet close to where I egg.  It would involve me getting out an extension cord which I don't want to do.  I'll stick with starter cubes.
    War Damn Eagle!