Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which wok handles?

Options

I want to buy a wok but I am not sure what type handles to get.  I have an XL and plan to use the Woo with a round bottom wok.

1.  Most photos I see of wok + egg are using loop handles. But, a lot of the photos show the loop handles down inside the egg, not conducive to the continue stirring/flipping that is required.  When I looked at CGS, all they have is double loop handle woks.

2. I would like a handle to quickly pick it up and flip the food, but will the handle be in the way?  I.E. can you get it to sit on the Woo or will the egg walls be in the way?

3. I don't want wooden handles, this just seems like a hazard and possibly make your food smell from them burning/smoking.

Thoughts?  I don't want to buy something that won't fit in it.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i would call tom and ask. my setup is large with the spider upsidedown, long handle. i have both style woks, the long handle is just easier to cook with
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mine have the metal loops and I just wear a grilling glove to stabilize while stirring.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mine have the metal loops and I just wear a grilling glove to stabilize while stirring.
    the handle makes it easy to flip food without stirring, say you cook some shrimp with butter garlic parsley and lemon, toss in some cooked pasta, grab handle and give it a fast back and forthe, the food jumps up and flips and mixes, then you slip it all in a dish. it works very well with a wok with a handle, you have the wrong grip to do it with hoops, just a different technique
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If you want to toss (and you should) get one with a hollow steel handle.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    If you want to toss (and you should) get one with a hollow steel handle.

I saw the wokshop have ones like that that are called pow woks....   I am not sure what pow woks are. ?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never could see the benefit of wok cooking on an egg, other than the high temps. The dome doesn't lift up as high as I would like, the wok has to be down in a hole where the fire is and it just seems awkward.

The benefit is getting a hotter fire than you would get in your kitchen. I would much rather use a Weber kettle where you can completely remove the lid and the wok is not so far down. Just remove the dome and grid, set them aside and place the wok on the coals.

Personally, I prefer my ratty old chimney starter with wok ring attached. Makes a great little wok stove. Uses less lump too. I usually set it on my old Weber so I don't have to squat to cook. I could use any size wok or type of handle too (even wood). 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stompbox
    Options
    Oh, wow... That ^ looks like a fire hazard in all that mulch/whirly birds. LOL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Umm, that's what it's FOR. When the kids were still at home, we'd build fires there and do hot dogs or marshmallows. Or just sit around enjoying the fire.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    About anything will work.  I use my wooden handled wok still!  Just cover with foil.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Over the years on my small, med and large have used woks with wood handles on one side and a holding handle of wood on the other side.  I eventually cut off the small handle. I have found that with a 12/14/16" wok flat bottom works well on the stove and also on the grate.  If I am using my bamboo steamer I will go to a "D" type that sits on my woo ring and allows me to close the top for steaming. 
    4-5 years back I was introduced to an oriental Tao which is the preferred method of cooking with a wok in the Orient and since then  I use a wood handle for better control on my Tao.  Most oriental restaurants use a metal handle with a towel to keep from burning themselves.

If you look around they can be had for $30-35.

http://www.templeofthai.com/cookware/thai-bbq-stove-6200000562.php
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    The thread has somewhat morphed into also recommending what type of cooker to use when stir frying.  I really like using a turkey fryer (propane).  It gets hotter than a BGE and temperature adjustment is instantaneous.  You're not looking for a smoky taste anyway.  As for wok type, I started out with D handles, but Richard Fl finally convinced me to use one with a handle.  My second stir fry burned the wood on the opposite side, which was no big deal.

wok.jpg 404.2K

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• HeavyG
    Options
    I never could see the benefit of wok cooking on an egg, other than the high temps. The dome doesn't lift up as high as I would like, the wok has to be down in a hole where the fire is and it just seems awkward.

The benefit is getting a hotter fire than you would get in your kitchen. I would much rather use a Weber kettle where you can completely remove the lid and the wok is not so far down. Just remove the dome and grid, set them aside and place the wok on the coals.

Personally, I prefer my ratty old chimney starter with wok ring attached. Makes a great little wok stove. Uses less lump too. I usually set it on my old Weber so I don't have to squat to cook. I could use any size wok or type of handle too (even wood). 

I agree. I never liked trying to wok on an Egg for the reasons you describe.  

I've used my trusty old Weber kettle. Weber sells a replacement grid that has a removable center section. Just remove that section, dump a chimney of coals right thru it and a wok works perfectly.

I much prefer my "jet engine" gas burner but definitely no wooden handles on that. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Guess I just don't know better, but I use a "spider" from CGS with the legs down.that raises my wok top to slightly above my large egg's base. After getting my temperature stabilized around 325 to 350 I insert my wok and close the dome. In just a few minutes I close my bottom vent entirely and open the dome and start my cooking. What others have said they don't like about being down in the egg I like! Just like everything else we have differences of opinions and likes and dislikes.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ron
    i use the same setup, its the flipping technique that needs the longer handle. watch this youtube. cooking biker taught me this with a castiron skillet in another post. it will impress people at your wok demonstration but needs a little practice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG2i2V8udmE

fukahwee maine

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The thread has somewhat morphed into also recommending what type of cooker to use when stir frying.  I really like using a turkey fryer (propane).  It gets hotter than a BGE and temperature adjustment is instantaneous.  You're not looking for a smoky taste anyway.  As for wok type, I started out with D handles, but Richard Fl finally convinced me to use one with a handle.  My second stir fry burned the wood on the opposite side, which was no big deal.

Glad you posted on this on VI.  I use your old threads for wok education and menu ideas.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • stompbox
    Options
    I always wondered about turkey fryers as I have several of them for beer brewing.  Good to know! Thanks!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Turkey fryer burners are a blast (so to speak). This is the one I've been using for a decade or so with my 22" woks:

The burner on this one is not shielded very well so smaller woks with wood handles will burn but easy to avoid by just using a metal handled wok.