Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How did you first learn about the BGE???.....................

2»

Comments

• GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    DobieDad,
    car accidents can do that. My wife and I survived a bad wreck and the RV that we had planned to buy AFTER retirement was bought right after the wreck. The only "toy" I enjoy more than my egg is my Pleasureway Excel RV.............

• eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    GenesGrill,[p]A friend of mine invited me over and fixed some ribeyes, they were "insanely great".. I was hooked![p]Phil
  • GenesGrill
    GenesGrill,
    thing is that (with the exception of some of you Hotlanter eggheads) most BGE buys never saw an advertisement before buying and came across the egg by fate/accident.........

• GenesGrill,[p]A few years ago the Globe & Mail (a national newspaper in Canada) wrote an article comparing various barbecues. The article was a taste test between small-ish barbecues/grills for people with small patios and decks, like those of a small apartment. The Egg was one of them, and they raved about how good it was. Every judge for the taste test ranked the BGE as the best, by far. It was a year later when I got motivated and tracked down the nearest distributor and picked up a large. No regrets, it is every bit as good as they said and more.
  • Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    GenesGrill,
    My best friend said get one. That was all I had to hear. I picked up the phone and ordered one from the mother ship and had it a few days later. I called him and said "what now?" and he walked me through a few cooks, and the rest is history. He didn't even know about the forum at the time. I actually had to tell him about it. To beat it all, he never even owned one! He just cooked with his neighbor all the time on his! Still does not have one to this day, but loves to eat great food off of mine when he is in town.
    Seth

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    GenesGrill,[p]About 3 years ago there was an article in the Wall Street Journal about BBQ cookers. The Big Green Egg was mentioned as having a "cult" following. That's all I needed to hear.
    Bought mine from Julie /KD Feeds Sioux City.
    Chuck

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    GenesGrill,
    My wife and I were at a Home and Garden show in Baton Rouge and me being the designated outdoor cooking fanatic, steared her over to the outdoor cooking stuff area. Vikings, Webers, Ducanes, stainless, cast iron, 1500 degrees, Oh ah ah ah! Then I saw the green thing and asked "What's that?" The salesman went in to this gigantic spill about it being the best of the best of the best, no way anything could cook any better! So being conservative and suspicious, I asked "then why are you selling all of the other brands?" Stumped him. 2 years later we gave one away at a company Christmas party and I found out about the forum and heard from co-workers how good it really was. So as Paul Harvey would say-- "And now for the rest of the story." A Large and a Small have a new home.

• BunkyRub
    BunkyRub Posts: 52
    GenesGrill,
    A friend, who was also a chef/restaurant owner, had some of the guys over for boys night out. As I recall he had the older bright organge egg... I was interested after he cooked a fantastic beef tenderloin. The rest is history.

• GenesGrill
    ronbeaux,
    I'll be passing through Baton Rouge on I-10 in a few months...any really good down home cajun places you would recommend that's not far off I-10??? I love gumbo!! Gene

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Gabe.jpg
    <p />RRP,
    Purchase? No, more like an on-going expense for the next 20 odd years! LOL[p]As for the 3 gallons a day I do believe the chunk would do that now if it wasn't for day-care. 37" tall and 40 lbs...

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    GenesGrill,
    Try Mike Andersons. Take the College drive exit and go left (that is if your coming from the east) under the freeway for about 2 miles. It's on your left. College will change to Lee. [p]E-mail me and I will print a Delorme map you can open in your e-mail to three other places as well. They are all good but my personal favorite for gumbo is Pat's in Henderson which is the first exit(115) after crossing the basin bridge, turning south to the first light and then turning left and going three miles to the leve with Pat's on the corner. They have the darkest reaux and a good view of de biyou! And if it's a Friday evening or Saturday you can kick up heels to some local Cajun music from the band.

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    GenesGrill,
    In 1998 I saw an ad in the Turkey Federation of America magazine. One of the testamonials stated the you could do ribs in 45 minutes! I knew I had to have one. Thank God for the Forum. Reading it daily straightened me out on alot of things. tstick

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Kelly Keefe,
    37" and 40# huh? same as a wildcat!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • We lived in the Philippines when I was in jr high (late '60s). I loved it. We lived in San Miguel Village ourside of Makata/Manila. I'd love to go back and visit. We went to Subic Bay many times. My favorite memory of that time was shooting the rapids at Pagsanjan Falls. Did you ever do that?

My dad used to take us on long car rides out to the provinces on weekends. It was so scenic. I just loved it. Loved the weather and everything about it. I've always felt that people who get to go off and live in a foreign country for a few years are so lucky.

Gwen
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    tstick,
    Ribs in 45 minutes....... Well I guess it is possible just not sure if I would want to eat them. :-)

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    GenesGrill,
    I didn't have a clue what it was, but 4 years ago, bought a twice used large and Redwood table at a garage sale at the house we were buying for $200. I then learned everything I do, and don't know, right here on the Forum....What a blessing that some people just don't get it. [p]Mike

• GenesGrill,
    About 2 1/2 years ago my wife and I were looking too get another gasser to go with my Ducane. Now I wanted the big gas eating stainless steel monster. The one that can cook burgers and steaks for 30 people or so. We wnet to the big box stores but we were not happy with what we saw. We finally went to a local propane dealer that sells high end grills and believe it or not they also sell the Big Green Egg. The saleslady mention ed it to me and I looked at her and siad "A Big Green What!!". The saleslady let us take home the Big Green Egg video to watch. After viewing he tape I did a Google search found this forum and the rest is history. Seven months after getting my large my wife got me a small for our anniversary. Now my eggs are always going and my Ducane has been fired up maybe 4 times in the last 2 years and that was because I needed the extra roome to cook some veggies during a large party. Buying a BGE has too be the hands down best money we spent!!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • GenesGrill
    ronbeaux,
    my email is geneinmurphy@yahoo.com....thanks!!!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    GenesGrill,
    I wanted to build a brick oven and ran across brick smokers, kamado's and then the egg. I was first attracted to the tiled kamado. This forum and the egg changed my mind.
    Clay

• I'm fortunate...my dad bought, what I think was a medium, in the early 80's. He didn't use it too much, but I remember always loving everything he cooked on it. My fave? Chicken wings. I don't yet have one, but look for that to change as soon as I can get to Carpets of Dalton and buy one(lge $599)...probably in about 3 weeks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishlessman,
    ten bucks it was "the Stove Shoppe", and not just a Stove Shop.
    ...I designed the addition to that place, by the way. pretty fancy shiznit, huh?[p](just like you Massh*les to come up to Nah Hamsha to buy your stuff tax free. bet you got some cigs, scratch tickets and a case of beer too.)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggineer
    Eggineer Posts: 30
    GenesGrill,
    Check out www.crowdpleezer.com .....
    I was on a business trip to Mobile when a friend of a friend sailed her into port on her maiden voyage from Panama City, FL. She was beautiful and had this funny looking green thing built right into the back on the fighting deck. It was love at first sight! I hope to charter her and to sample some gulf sushi and egg treats.

[ul][li]http://www.crowdpleezer.com[/ul]
  • QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    GenesGrill,[p]I had seen the infomercial for one on TV years ago, and wanted one then, and then forgot completely about it. Years later, I bought a Ducane gasser, which was piped it the the natural gas at our old house. When we moved, I couldn't take the Ducane (only LP where I live now, and Ducane says it is not a simple conversion). I was in the local Patio and Fireplace store, and saw this funny looking gray thing in the corner (yes, a Primo). After asking the dealer about it, I decided I wanted it.[p]Tonia didn't care, it was just another in a long line of "this is going to be the greatest grill ever", so we bought it. On the first cook, we realized that ceramics were something special. We got on the 'net, and rediscovered BGE, and the rest is history Tonia became QBabe, and our patio started sprouting green stuff. Now we have a whole stable of them 1 Primo, and 5 BGE's!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    GenesGrill,[p]Three summers ago I was googling on "barbeque temperature" and came across a site where an engineer in Silcon Valley had rigged a temp-probe and some motors to regulate the air flow in a kamado. So I started reading around about ceramic cookers. As a group they seemed fantastic, but really expensive, way more than I thought I could afford.[p]So I spent that summer still grilling, but looking for an indirect smoker. I occassionally see home-made ones around town, but had no luck that summer.[p]Last summer I strongly considered getting an Egg, partially because there is a local dealer. I still balked at the price. So I got a Brinkman smoker. Made some of the best chicken I'd ever had, but still could not do ribs that were comparable to an excellent local BBQ. And it wouldn't get hot enough for Thanksgiving cooking.[p]So this summer, I decided the Egg was the way to go. I rationalized that having a grill that wouldn't burn-out/rust-out every few years was a good thing, and that I might not have to visit the above named BBQ every few weeks for a good dose of ribs.[p]After my first cook, I wanted to kick myself in the rear for not buying one sooner. And tomorrow, I may want to kick myself again for only buying a medium, because I'm having a bunch of folks over who really appreciate a good rib, and I'm uncertain that I can do enough to satisfy, especially because I'm just one dash of salt and pepper away from matching the best commercial offerings in the area.[p]gdenby
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    stike,[p]Don't forget fireworks!

• Julie R
    Julie R Posts: 39
    I started working for an animal feed & fertilizer company in the pump & pipe fitting division. It happens that this company also sells the BGE (I know, this doesn't fit into that world without a long story) and I was told I was the new BGE sales rep. Of course, I had to have a practice model at home and have lots of demonstration and instructions at work from the rest of the staff (in other words we cooked lunch a lot for a while). I have sold lots of BGEs in the Sioux City, IA area in the past 6 years and still have my practice model at home.
  • Julie R
    Julie R Posts: 39
    I started working for an animal feed & fertilizer company in the pump & pipe fitting division. It happens that this company also sells the BGE (I know, this doesn't fit into that world without a long story) and I was told I was the new BGE sales rep. Of course, I had to have a practice model at home and have lots of demonstration and instructions at work from the rest of the staff (in other words we cooked lunch a lot for a while). I have sold lots of BGEs in the Sioux City, IA area in the past 6 years and still have my practice model at home.
  • penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    GenesGrill,
    This Old House magazine rated it as the best charcoal grill a couple of years (maybe three) back. I googled BGE and the rest is history. The day the dealer delivered it I rolled that Weber out to the curb and have never looked back.

• Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    GenesGrill,[p]The local pool & spa dealer was holding their annual Easter-week sale three years ago and I was curious, so I went in to see what they had. I'd just about reached the limit of what I could do with my Weber kettle, so I looked at their big stainless gassers -- and this little green thing.[p]I got home, did a google on big green egg and ended up here. I wrote them a check the next day; seems I was their very first BGE sale. Two years later, I was the first to get a second egg from them . . .[p]Tom
  • GenesGrill,
    back in 96 my g/f and i wanted a grill for our new apartment. being a research freak, i bought a barbeque mag (out of print, i believe) and saw the add for the egg and loved the look. called the nearest dealer (over an hour away), we drove out and bought it without ever tasting anything from an egg before (egg faith!).
    best purchase i ever made and two of my relatives now own an egg too. 10 years and still going strong!