Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In a pickle - trying to reattach my BGE lid and screws won't match up

Options
I've had my BGE for years and always had issues with the lid staying open. After getting frustrated enough (apparently it takes a LOT to get me that frustrated) I found a post here that advised checking the hinge to make sure the flat black bar is on the top. Low and behold - it was not. So I tried zip tying the hinge together (I don't have the plastic pieces that came with it) and I unscrewed the 8 screws holding the springs/hinge with the objective of just flipping it over and screwing it back on.

Unfortunately the zip ties didn't work so well and the screws don't seem to want to line up again (even though it was attached for years). I could screw the bottom set on fine and secure them tightly but then when attempting to get the top on, I could only seem to ever get one side to line up, leaving the other side ~1/8 of an inch off. I've created an image gallery of what it looks like here:

http://imgur.com/a/VOUmq

So how bad is it? Does anyone had advise on aligning the screws so I can reattach my lid? The weather's warming up and I want to be out grilling on the Egg!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am having the same issue with my dome wanting to close on its own. I just chalked it up to a ton of use and needing new band assembly. I am following this in hopes someone has a fix. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I'd take the lid off and get the bands assembled and start from scratch.  Just like the first day you setup your Egg. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    For my large I had the same issue. I took the springs off, got everything in spec, and slipped them back on. Can't vouch for any other size.
  • json2001
    json2001 Posts: 22
    Options
    @Elijah do you mean you literally unhooked the springs from the hinge? Or did you take the whole hinge/spring off?

@4Runner I think that might be what I'll need to do. 

Thanks for everyone's advice!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    This is odd as the bands are punched identically. The top and bottom bands are in fact the same. In addition, I think the top hinge holes are oval to allow for movement side to side. I wonder if the whole band assembly is messed up somehow. Are both of the band tightening bolts on the same side of the hinge? If you can't get it on, do as stated above and loosen the entire band asset top and bottom. 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    As 4runner mentioned, take the band off (keep springs on) and get it closed and zip tied, then re-install.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    I had this same problem yesterday. I unscrewed the dome from the band and then had about 1/8th of an inch short to slide it back in the screw hole. I banged it with a hammer and nugded it back in.
    Austin, Tx
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There should never have been a reason to remove the hinge assembly from the bands in the first place. All you had to do was remove the dome from the band and set aside. Then remove the band from the base and flip the whole assembly over and re-tighten the bands back down. Now that you have done this, here is what the problem is as I see it. The band does not want to be in a curved shape and tries to become the flat piece of metal again as it once was, putting the holes out of alignment. You are going to have to flex that band (without bending it) back into the curved shape to fit the curvature of the hinge assembly, thus once again aligning the holes and allowing you to fasten on the nuts. Also make sure that the bands are both on the same way by insuring that the tightening bolts are lined up 1 above the other and not on both sides of the hinge. FWIW IMHO.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    when the hinge is in the open position the springs can easily be popped off with a screw driver. assemble the hinge, hold dome open and pop the springs back on. ive done this dozens of times moving my egg, wear sunglasses for safety when working with springs. the bolt that attaches to the lower spring mount works loose sometimes as well, tighten that bolt if needed if the dome still drops
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it