Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I pull the trigger on a Minimax?

Comments

• reload
    reload Posts: 267
    YukonRon said:
    Four pages of posts and nobody picked up on the fact that the OP's wife gave him cash for Valentines Day?  :o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQlhrrqTQmU
    She must be his uncle too? I got a bad, bad feeling, the worst is yet to come.
    If you only knew the reason why my wife gave me cash as my gift this year...you wouldn't get shuch a kick out of being an ass.  SMH
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Wow lots of fuss over the grills. My mini has been used way less since I've owned the MM. Use both but man that mini sits idle alot.
    Seattle, WA
  • My wife calls me her mini...but anyways...I love my MM. 
  • @clikincaid at least she still acknowledges you. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    @Eggzellent ... you've got to stop looking back at what you paid for something years ago.  Two points:

1)  If you include the nest, the MM has the same number of parts as the XL ... almost the same labor costs to produce them ... almost the same cost on the BGE truck to ship them.  The only savings is a little on basic materials ... not much in the scheme of things.

2)  Bought a Valentine's day card for my wife earlier this month.  Told the gal at the counter that the card cost about what my marriage license cost.  Stuff just plain costs more today than yesterday.

Cheers ...

"..If you can get the Conveggtor thrown in with the MM at what is a $100 list difference (without it) it seems to me that you are getting your money's worth for the price difference (YMMV).... like it a lot yet it's hard to believe what I paid for my XL (years ago) as compared with what the MM is going for now..which I will instantly forget the first time I fire it up." 

"Hard to believe" yet and still. "Instantly forgotten" should have been emphasized.
    Again, we aren't seeing to date (and I may have missed them) detailed side-by-side reviews of the MM/Jr. in terms of heat retention, ceramic quality. weight/mass or any other physical factor. I believe that the BGE is a superior product to the Jr. (save the size of the firebox) regardless. Do I believe that it is  a $600 plus tax (w/o PS) value over the jr.?..probably not until those comparisons are reliably made. As far as equating the MM and XL to support an even near equal cost of raw materials, shipping or showroom cost/space between the two?..I understand the basic premise yet feel that the MM price reflects more of a "we can do it because we can" reality.
    Thank you for your opinion as I'm a big fan of the "it just does" and the real world. I just wish that more physics-based side-by-side comparisons were made at the (basic) XL and MM level to put some of these comparisons to rest as even more designs/price points flood the market. 

Why do you think the BGE MM is superior to the KJ Jr.?

Brand loyalty? Just because it costs more? The color? Because it's made in Mexico and not China?
    Since we can't seem to locate a forum member with a thermal engineering or materials background to compare apples to apples...I made my $100 MM decision (PS incl.) on something pretty simple..weight ('hopefully' mass as related to material as well). The Jr. is significantly taller in such a squatty cooker. Whether it is 'less squatty' (diameter-wise; all the way to the top) I have no idea. The weight difference for a shorter/squattier Kamodo with known performance and (from what I could see) even a better gasket was 18%.

18% was worth $100 to me when my dealer threw in the PS and even more when someone (finally) comes on here and explains what !8% (also) really means in relation to materials and/or thermal mass as related to heat retention.

Mexico vs China vs US (even) means little to me anymore unless I know what the owner of any company will settle for...and there are a lot more 'settlers' around this country and elsewhere than ever before.
    Ahh...so you're of the "if it is heavier it must be better" school. Gotcha!

Not sure about your 18% weight difference. KJ Jr. = 68lbs vs BGE MM= 76lbs. I also have no idea (and couldn't care less) whether those published weights reflect the total weight in the cradle with all parts inside, the ceramic parts only, whatever.

The gaskets on KJ's do seem kind of thin which I'm guessing is the opposite of your "a thicker (heavier) gasket is a better gasket" school.

Don't really think the BGE gaskets are better tho. Everyone that I know that owns or has owned both BGE and KJ (myself included) think the KJ gaskets hold up better. Not really that important tho cuz they all need to be replaced eventually.

There is one thing about the KJ Jr. that is clearly far superior to the BGE MM - the handle. I hate that crappy little wooden grip on the MM.
    Memory didn't serve (76 vs 80lbs. is correct) and yes..8 lbs. 'more' for a smaller diameter/shorter ceramic is still swaying me. I do recall saying that "heavier just might be better" in the absence of someone who could educate us all as to the difference between the two physics/cooking-wise and prove it. I've always believed that the fire in relation to the size of these things (physics-wise) is discussed about as much as what/how much we burn in them and exactly how when they get this small. And yes, I also believe that most will pay 'x' amount of dollars to match the color and style of the egg that they have because..well..it just looks better.

Knowing that both gaskets will need to be replaced sooner than an aftermarket one will anyways?..I'll take the 'cushioned' (vs almost non-existant) one where two fragile pieces meet that you're trying not to smash. As for the handle, to each his own obviously..yet I'll take the natural look which matches what I'm cooking with and my house/surroundngs.

We can only hope that someone comes up here and puts this to rest as I do believe that one of these can realistically be declared 'better' than the others. It may not 'seemingly' cook any better or that fact might jerk some people's chains..but at $500-$600 and obviously more with accessories for what you get?..linking that argument would save a lot of time later and educate at the same time.

If I had a Joe Jr. right now? I'd feel just as blessed/thankful and could care less about whether I made the right choice. Last week was another story in terms of not seeing those thermal/material comparisons.

• HeavyG said:
    Chill folks.  Be happy we have so many cool options out there.  Good time to be into kamodos right now.
    Not trying to butthurt anyone about this. I wouldn't say one is superior to the other in any practical physical/performance measure. I think the KJ Jr. is clearly a better value and am just curious what would lead one to believe a BGE MM is superior to aKJ Jr.

Apparently a MM weighing more is definitive for someone. That's cool - we all have our own decision matrix.
    No ill-will intended here either. This will never be decided until the exact same fuel source is burned in both side-by-side with good gaskets/alignment and/or an unbiased 'egghead' schools us all on small scale thermal dynamics/material characteristics.
    Some like those discussions, others could care less and even more are in-between.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    reload said:
    YukonRon said:
    Four pages of posts and nobody picked up on the fact that the OP's wife gave him cash for Valentines Day?  :o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQlhrrqTQmU
    She must be his uncle too? I got a bad, bad feeling, the worst is yet to come.
    If you only knew the reason why my wife gave me cash as my gift this year...you wouldn't get shuch a kick out of being an ass.  SMH
    @reloadI gather a nerve was touched by your response. If that was the collective "you" to all, that is fine.
    I have been called much worse, by many, however, none as fortunate as you.
    Nickel's worth of free advise, and it took me a couple of times to figure it out, (which made me the true and ultimate ass, of which, I am hoping to be forgiven) when people make a comment on here at another's post, in fun, it is not intended as anything more. They like you, they were not trying to be an ass, mean to you or your wife. Or at least it was, in your case, by my comments.
    Once you understand that, then the ass meter goes down for you and I and the collective "you" if so designated.
    Anyway, I have enjoyed the thread, no harm was intended, and if you took it as such, I will assure you it truly was nothing personal, just stupid, likely drunken, attempt at humor.
    I am sure you have a wonderful wife. My Beautiful Wife bought my MM for me for Father's Day. I have really enjoyed cooking with it home, tailgating, and while camping. (In fact we took the 90 pounder with us this weekend camping, worth all the trouble in logistics, guaranteed)
    Feel free to add "wife buying me the MM jokes" here: _____________________________________________________________
    I am already an ass, that is fat, drunk, slow and stupid (of which, are amongst my best features) adding to that list won't bother me. It won't harm My Beautiful Wife either, as we both laugh at ourselves more than at others anyway. 
    Onward.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SkinnyV
    Turned this little 4lber out today on the MM 
    Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    edited March 2016
    @skinnyV post it in the competition thread!  Brisket is main course and dessert in my book!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @SkinnyV Dude! That's amazing! Well done.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @SkinnyV  HELL YEAH!!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Will someone please quote me?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    You got it buddy
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    What did I win?  ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984

This was important to me, especially helping out in the BGE forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Why did everone quote me?
    Bam!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    @HeavyG I'm not sure what "small handle" your talking about, but my 2009 era LBGE has about 1/3 the handle of the MM, so I'm quite content with the MM.
  • Terrebandit
    You got it buddy
    Oh yeah.  This feels good. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    You got it buddy
    How about a double quote?  How's that feel?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    You got it buddy
    You got it buddy
    You got it buddy

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You got it buddy
    Nirvana 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Terrebandit
    bgebrent said:
    You got it buddy
    Nirvana 
    I wish I had a MM to celebrate this moment. Or should that be a KJJr?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would be more inclined to tout the quality of Big Green Egg ceramics if I didn't find a huge crack in my base this weekend.  :angry:.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited March 2016
    SmokeyPitt: Sorry to hear that. MM base? How'd it happen (please) or did you just notice it?
    SkinnyV: Could you please give some details as to how your MM was set up or any basic timing/temp. info? I would be very happy with that result and appreciate the pic.
    Ozzie_Isaac: Any chance of asking for the same set-up info/temp. info on your MM thread?
    Thanks.
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Well I pulled the trigger on a mini max. Should be here Friday my dealer ordered today should have it by Friday. It will compliment my XL beautifully 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    SmokeyPitt: Sorry to hear that. MM base? How'd it happen (please) or did you just notice it?
    SkinnyV: Could you please give some details as to how your MM was set up or any basic timing/temp. info? I would be very happy with that result and appreciate the pic.
    Ozzie_Isaac: Any chance of asking for the same set-up info/temp. info on your MM thread?
    Thanks.
    @Eggzellent - it is the base on my large egg.  I just decided to inspect it for for cracks and found it.  After reading about many cracked bases I just check it every so often because my eggs are on the deck.  It is not a terrible crack but bad enough that I won't use it until I get a replacement.   I don't mean to sound negative but I just don't see any real evidence that BGE ceramic is superior to any others because they crack all the time under normal use. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    @Eggzellent used the platesetter in the PS woo legs up. Temp was 250- 275degrees roughly 6 hours for 4 lb brisket.
    Seattle, WA
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    SmokeyPitt: Thanks. I obviously need to check my XL as I never have. It is not an everyday cooker (or even weekly) and sits outside as well in a wide range of temps. I've cracked a CI grate and chalked it up to negligence(?) yet a bowl would make me believe (as well) that there's a reason nobody is (apparently) doing these ceramic comparisons side-by-side. If one retained heat better than the other and still broke just as easy..
    SkinnyV: Just what I need to know (thanks).
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    ...   I don't mean to sound negative but I just don't see any real evidence that BGE ceramic is superior to any others because they crack all the time under normal use. 
    Devils advocate for a minute.  We see a lot of evidence of cracked ceramics on the forum, but most folks on here probably use their eggs more than the general public.  The general public probably doesn't see a crack during the time they own it.  Even if it cracks, they probably don't know it until something falls off.  Yes/No?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Ozzie_Isaac
    ...   I don't mean to sound negative but I just don't see any real evidence that BGE ceramic is superior to any others because they crack all the time under normal use. 
    Devils advocate for a minute.  We see a lot of evidence of cracked ceramics on the forum, but most folks on here probably use their eggs more than the general public.  The general public probably doesn't see a crack during the time they own it.  Even if it cracks, they probably don't know it until something falls off.  Yes/No?
    I would guess either Yes or No, but would leave room for a maybe.