Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg table question

icemncmth
icemncmth Posts: 1,165
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking at the BGE wesite I notice that it recommends to put something between the egg and the wood...[p]Wouldn't the feet work? That would give you some air space..If I put slate or bricks under the egg it seems like that the egg would heat up the stones because of lack of air flow?..

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    2005_0104Image0008.jpg
    <p />icemncmth,
    this is with the egg sitting on feet on wood. you still need a barrier even when using the feet. ive seen stones crack when the feet were not used. if you look you can see where the feet were on my 2 inch thich pine table

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks for the picture...I think I will put mine on feet and on a stone. It just seems to me that if you put the egg flat on the stone the heat will transfer to the stone...
  • fishlessman
    icemncmth,
    ive used three quarters between the egg and stone and it worked well.

fukahwee maine

• icemncmth,[p] Another thing that can help is to make sure you keep a reasonable layer of ash in the BGE bottom. I never remove all of it, but leave almost an inch across the entire bottom. My Large BGE now sits on a husky SS rack (Costco extra shelf) which sits on a faitly thin piece of pressed wood. There is no hint of heat reaching the pressed wood even though the BGE is only an inch or os above it. The airspace and ash layer seem to be doing a good job over several hot and long cooks with lump and wood chunks.[p]Tom B (EggSport)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    fishlessman,
    Each time I see this picture I think of Stumpbaby's outhouse. I'm corrupted.

• fishlessman
    ClayQ,
    notice to the left of the burn hole, you can see where i started a two seater

fukahwee maine

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Tom B. (EggSport),[p]Those are principles also used with woodburning stoves. My 30-year old Vermont Castings (no longer the same as they were then) is exceptionally hot immediately under the chamber even with a couple inches of ash. But with a sheet metal shield beneath it, the bricks below are cool even tho' the ones beyond the shield are fairly warm. Despite all that my local codes called for 1/4 inch asbestos cement between the bricks and the plywood subfloor. I'd certainly apply these same ideas to any Egg installation.
  • fishlessman,[p]OK, Now I am worried about my table after seeing that photo. I just finished my table (will post pic soon). I have my large sitting directly on a 1.25" thick piece of granite. The granite is sitting directly on the wood. Do you think I will have a problem?
  • skahre,[p] Maybe not, but knowing what I have seen and heard todate, I would consider using the 3 provided 'feet' on top of the granite, or some other way of creating an air space between the bottom of the BGE and the flat granite surface. Then you will have protected the wood and also limited the heat transfer from the BGE to the granite. As I mentioned in another post, leaving a full layer (apprx 1 inch) of ash in the bottom of your BGE will also help the heat transfer problem.[p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)

• skahre,[p]I've had my large BGE sitting on a 2" paver stone that I bought from Home Depot and that sits on my cedar decking for my table. I've had no problems..so far...better knock on wood huh? As far as the ash, typically high temperature ash comes from real high temp cooks such as with steaks and those cooks don't usually last long. You end up shutting the egg down after 30 minutes or so and that should not allow the bottom of the egg to get too hot. Hope this helps.
  • icemncmth, Another reason to use the feet is that it leaves a space to slide your metal dustpan or whatever you use to catch you ash when you scrape it out.[p]CB

• fishlessman,
    Big Green Eggs & Ham Competition cook team has purchased two mats from Home Depot to prevent this from happening. They don't work either, at Tryon halfway through our brisket the wood platform the Eggs sit on started smoking. Guess we need a 1,000 degree guarantee.[p]Dennis