Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anxiously waiting !!!!!!!!!

jarc
jarc Posts: 241
edited February 2016 in Off Topic
Come on crawfish season.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Looking good
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Crawfish, one of my very favorites. Looks great buddy. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Haven't ate any in years. :bawling: 
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I ended up down in Biloxi, Mississippi helping out with a camp for Hurricane Katrina and when down there we ended up at one of their local restaurants for dinner. I ordered a crawfish poe' boy as this was my first time having a poy' boy sandwich. If I could ever go back in time and eat one thing again this very meal might be it! Soooo good. You guys are lucky sob's! =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    jarc said:
    Come on crawfish season.
    Me, too. They are currently a small to medium size here in metro Atlanta. The pricing as of yesterday was $5.89/lb boiled and $4.99/lb live. I'll keep waiting for them to get larger and the price drops a bit.

On another note, @SGH turned me on to the Cajun Rocket Burner and I have not looked back. The BTU output is YUGE!

http://stores.cajunrocketpot.com/super-hi-performance-multi-oriface-250-000-btu-propane-jet-burner-new-for-2015-2016-not-for-turkey-frying/
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• jarc
    That Cajunrocket looks sweet. This is the one I use. Brings water to a boil in no time.

Dual Jet Burner - Bayou Classic Model SP2

LBGE

• SGH
    @nolan8v
    Just a tip on the Cajun Rocket Burner. As powerful as it already is, you can increase its power 2 fold by switching to a 100 PSI regulator. You can increase its power even farther by using a ball valve instead of a regulator. Not that its output needs to be increased, but thought I would share the tip just the same in case you ever wanted to boil 100 gallon pots with it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I put the high pressure regulators on everything propane.   You'll need to put them in a tub of water when you're boiling or the pressure will drop tremendously when the propane gets cold (frost on the tank).
    Some folks look at me kind of odd when I tell them that I use lingerie mesh bags to put my veggies/sausage in. I find it makes it easy to add when I want and keeps them together nicely.

LBGE

• SGH
    jarc said:
    Some folks look at me kind of odd when I tell them that I use lingerie 
    I hear ya brother. Sometimes when I have been drinking heavy I wear lingerie when cooking. As sexy as I am, the neighbors give me odd looks as well =)

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @SGH - time to give up on the crotchless lingerie.  Give them a tease  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    For those of you in Austin- Infamous Brewery in Hudson Bend will be having a crawfish boil tomorrrow

https://www.facebook.com/events/805589289568092/
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • jarc
    @SGH - trying to get the picture out of my head.

LBGE

• SGH said:
    jarc said:
    Some folks look at me kind of odd when I tell them that I use lingerie 
    I hear ya brother. Sometimes when I have been drinking heavy I wear lingerie when cooking. As sexy as I am, the neighbors give me odd looks as well =)
    Pics or it didn't happen. You know the rules. :fearful: 
  • SGH
    edited February 2016
    jarc said:
    @SGH - trying to get the picture out of my head.
    It's a beautiful site my friend. My nakedness is truly magnificent on a grand scale ;)

Status- Standing by.

• jarc
    Lol

LBGE

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    todays boil

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • jarc
    @xfire_ATX--- That a great looking basket of crawfish. Looks very tasty. Nicely done.

LBGE

• Man does that shizznit look good. That's on my food bucket-list. Never had/been-to a crawfish boil. 

Funny, these regional foods. We all (locals) take them for granted. Can have them whenever we want. 

Sure, we love them. But even then we get blase'

but step outside your area and there are certain foods you (I) have always wanted to try but never had a chance to 

with us, in new england, we have clams and lobsters and fish so often the kids complain. But crab. Or crawfish...

For a long time, i always wanted crab. Now, sure,  i can buy it at my grocery store. But i dunno what to buy. Legs, blue, sone, soft? or when. Is it in season. Is there a season? Or how to eat it. A lobster i can tear thru barehanded. Crab? Crab (for me) is like your first time in a tree fort with a girl. Always wanted to be in this position. No idea what to do though once i got there. 

But then i go visit a buddy in Baltimore, and we order up some crab, and plow through them (with his instruction and much beer), and it was fantastic

which is a long way of saying, i could probably order some crawfish and get it delivered. And google a recipe. And scratch it off the bucket list. 

But i'm gonna wait until i am sitting at a picnic table with a local who's gonna show me the ropes. 

that stuff looks fantastic

Unrelated fun fact: crawfish and lobsters are unrelated. Convergent evolution!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    Im shocked to hear that you have never had crawfish. With that said, if you ever find yourself just this side of Back Bay Biloxi, give me a shout. I will treat you to some of the finest crawfish and blue crab that you will ever eat my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Crawfish boil is top of the mountain.  Right on par with low country boil, both rock!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    SGH said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    Im shocked to hear that you have never had crawfish. With that said, if you ever find yourself just this side of Back Bay Biloxi, give me a shout. I will treat you to some of the finest crawfish and blue crab that you will ever eat my friend.  
    Can I come? 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • I envy you folks in the southern regions and some of the fare you have available.  Had crawfish etoufee when visiting our daughter in Houston.  Oh WOW, that was good.  She gets to go to several crawfish boils each year, but we are never able to go there during the right time of year.  I love my old home in Ky., but you folks need to realize how fortunate you are when it comes to the food you can choose from.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SGH
    jabam said:
    SGH said:
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    Can I come? 
    Absolutley brother. The only people not welcome at my place is Obama and Hilliary supporters ;)

Status- Standing by.

• I like them well enough IN things (etoufee is a particular favorite) but on their own in a boil they just taste sort of muddy to me. Maybe I just haven't had them prepared well??? They sure look awesome!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • I would love to come down some time, partake of your fine cooking and conversation.  Could send the wife over to visit your long haired hippy friend and all would be happy. (We don't talk politics, learned that was a no-no long ago)

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SGH
    @Black_Badger
    If they tasted muddy, they were not properly washed and prepped. They should be washed at a minimum of 3 times in clear, cool, belly water.  Preferably until the water runs clean. If washed until they run clear, there is no way that they can taste muddy my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    We have a couple of boils every year. My BIL is a tug boat captain in NOLA, when his shift is over, he goes right to the docks, picks up the shrimp, etc., brings it right on up to Louisville and we are cooking in the big pot, within 24 hours. Last boil we had 40 people to feed. It was awesome.
    Anyone wanting to attend our next, we would be happy to have you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Had crawfish for the first time ever last night. Was pretty good.  Lots of work but good eats. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • SGH said:
    @Black_Badger
    If they tasted muddy, they were not properly washed and prepped. They should be washed at a minimum of 3 times in clear, cool, belly water.  Preferably until the water runs clean. If washed until they run clear, there is no way that they can taste muddy my friend.  
    Yeah, that's sort of what I thought might be the case. I need to find my way down to the part of the world where folks know how to do these things correctly, not just as a novelty. It's just one of the best LOOKING meals I ever see.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI