Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need pizza advice - transfering pizza from counter to hot BGE

2»

Comments

• Parchment paper or a Super Peel! The Super Peel works great when transporting a pizza that's heavy with toppings. https://superpeel.com/
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Lit said:
    Use a pizza screen. Build your pizza on it and put it right on your stone and cook the pizza on it. Nice and simple. http://www.amazon.com/Update-International-PS-14-Pizza-Screen/dp/B0029SXJAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456703213&sr=8-1&keywords=Pizza+mesh
    I have not idea why I didn't think of this.  My buddy owns 5 pizza shops and a few of these have wound up in my house over the years.  I already have a few!  I guess I might question whether there would be some cooking / crust difference compared to cooking directly on the stone or steel.  But it is definitely an option and something to try!

Gonna try the parchment paper trick first though.  Or maybe one of each when I do pizzas tomorrow.
    The will be some difference in how the crust cooks. When in contact with the pizza stone/steel the dough receives heat by conduction.  The pizza screen raises the dough above the stone a bit and the dough will receive heat by a combination of conduction (through the wires) and radiation. It will impact the oven spring and the browning of the crust.

I don't think the difference will be that noticeable at moderate temps (~500º). Differences should be more noticeable when cooking at high temps.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I put nothing between the dough and the parchment, build the pizza on the parchment covered peel and pull the parchment after two or three minutes.  No shaking involved.

Gerhard
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

blasting said:
    .......   Build pie on the peel, wiggle the peel after each step to make sure it's sliding well.  Once pie is built, ..........

The problem with building your pie on the peel is that if you are making more than one pie, you need more than one peel.  If I'm making 4 pies for the family, I can't wait for the peel to be done removing the first pie from the egg before I begin even building the second pie.  That would take forever.  I guess it works with one pie.  Or multiple peels.

The one at a time issue was resolved for me by having a pizza making station out by the grill. Build one on the peel, slide it onto the stone and get another one on the peel ready to go. If you have one peel use a spatula or tongs to pull the cooked one off the stone and slide onto a cuttimg board or platter.  You have to work fast but by the time your next one is ready to go on, the one thats on is about ready to come off.      With a little advance planning having a pizza assembly line station by your grill is pretty easy to work with and it is an efficient operation.    At restaurant supply stores, wooden  short handled peels are $15 so if you can find another it is a good idea.  

I use the one at a time assembly on the peel method for pizza parties and over about 90 mins to 2 hrs, i crank out ten to tweleve pies.    Parchment has worked well but when i was going with higher temps, the parchment would burn so i developed the alternate method of a flour dusted peel and assembly of pies on it, making sure to shake the peel and ensuring the dough slides freely.   
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    @westernbbq   Funny you would mention a pizza making station.  I just picked up a 6'x3' table two weeks ago for this exact purpose.  Keeps the mess outside, and me outside as well - instead of 20 trips in and out
    Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    blasting said:
    @westernbbq   Funny you would mention a pizza making station.  I just picked up a 6'x3' table two weeks ago for this exact purpose.  Keeps the mess outside, and me outside as well - instead

Yo
    u're a lot smarter than i am blasting!  It took me four pizza parties to realize staying out by grill was key.  A 6' stainless table for about $150 new on ebay  did the trick.  I gotta take picts of the setup the next time i do it and put them here.    Kids make their own za and i put them on the BGE.   It is right next to the pool so when everyone is swimming and having pizza off the Big Green Egg, well it is about as good a time as you can have.   
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    I've never seen this mentioned here before, but I saw it in a pizza making video.  Shape the dough and lay it out on the counter.  Before putting anything on top, lift the edge of the dough and blow air between the dough and the counter.  Do it right, and the dough is only touching the counter on the edges.  The center is suspended by air.  Top the pizza, then quickly slide the peel between the counter and dough.  I think this probably only works with lightly topped pizzas...