Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How did you first learn about the BGE???.....................

GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
just curious.....BGE doesn't seem to advertise a lot, and I had never heard of them until about a eight months ago when I saw one at the house of a Mennonite couple who ran a campground I stayed at. They had two of them and ranted about their qualities. Now I know why.......

Comments

• pipedream
    pipedream Posts: 58
    First time I saw a BGE was on a Charter Fishing Boat in Orange Beach, AL. The captain had one mounted in some custom chrome tubular railing on the back of the boat. We grilled bluefish and snapper right out of the water and I too was hooked! My wife gave me a Large BGE for our first anniversary, May 9, 2005.
    Since then I have talked two of buddies into getting one and we have given two to family members as Christmas gifts - we are getting fat together!!!
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    GenesGrill,[p]I saw a couple at the Harpoon BBQ Championship in Vermont a couple years ago and was intrigued. Read this forum for at least a year and finally got one a couple months ago. And now I think it's even better than I thought it would be.

• GenesGrill
    Herm,
    sounds like me...I lurked on the board for a few months first before getting up the nerve to tell my wife we needed a $500 plus grill..........eheh....

• GenesGrill,
    first time that the virginian and i competed up in new holland pa about 4 years ago. ..our third teammate was/is Mr. earl. ...went to pick him up at his house and saw his egg....then went over to new holland and met nature boy and woodoggies and saw their eggs, and after spending 24 hours with the bunch of them, i knew i was one of them .. ..got my first egg a few months later. .. .

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Herm,[p]i built a website for a friend who's a dealer. my payment was a bge (small). had no idea what the things were till he told me about them. anyway... i've never looked back. upgrading to a large next weekend!
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    GenesGrill,
    I found out about it through web-searches on smokers. We bought a house and the previous owner had a smoker tucked away in a nook on the patio. He said "I'm taking that with me, you'll need to find your own".
    The forum is what sealed the deal for me as I bounced back and forth between a K and the egg.
    The egg really has become more than a cooker for most of us here.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    GenesGrill,
    saw one in a stove shop, they wouldnt answer my questions and didnt want to sell it. i went home found one online and ordered it for about 200 dollars less delivered. i just thought it was a fancy kettle.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    GenesGrill,
    The wife ran across one at a local Patio/Hearth store.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning GenesGrill:[p]From my younger son. We were remodeling our patio and I was looking for a new grill. Figured I would install one of those JennAire downdraft type. My son told me to check out "this egg thing Harry has". Harry was a friend of ours in Tallahassee. I went on-line to the EggForum and as they say "the rest is history". Initially, Janurary 2002, got a medium as that was all the budget could handle. Added a large in March 2005, won a mini at a raffle in Sept. 2005 and added another large in March 2006 (gave my younger son the used medium). Finding out about the BGE (and especially the BGE FAMILY) has really changed our life. As my much better half says about the EggHeads at EggFests "I've never seen so many people who buy and cook food, just to give it away".[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    GenesGrill,[p]I knew absolutely nothing about them until I went to my local dealer looking to replace my aging Ducane gasser. I was interested in getting another gasser of some type as cooking with charcoal briquttes on a Weber or somesuch brand didn't interest me at all. My dealer showed me the BGE and said it could get up to cooking temps fast and the food just tasted better. No briquettes just lump charcoal. Well after I stopped laughing at it and thought about it some, it did make sense. I looked it up on the web and got more interested. Mentioned it to the wife who was having none of this crazy notion of mine to get an egg, so we took a field trip over to the dealers one day when refilling a tank. Our saleman at the dealer started talking to her, answering questions, showing other options and loaded us down with literature. Once she had actually seen one, read the literature and all, she decided this would be the thing to do. So we trekked back over and made our purchase. We have never looked back or regretted buying that strange looking smoker/griller/baking thingee with the green color. In fact we wish we had found it quicker.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    GenesGrill,
    There was an old US publication called 'On the Grill' and their Apr '97 issue featured the Egg on the cover. I was intrigued and researched the product at that time. The following summer we bought our first house and at almost the exact same time the first Canadian Egg dealer introduced them. Little did I know I'd be one of, if not the first, to buy an Egg from a Canadian dealer!
    Enough about me though... tell me more about these 'ranting Mennonite' friends of yours! LOL
    Qfan

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    GenesGrill,[p]My at-the-time fiance mentioned the BGE as we passed the original Mothership location. She said a few of the guys at worked always talked about them. At that point I had never even heard the name! A few weeks later we attended a party with a BGE and I was hooked. Luckily a Large BGE was presented as a wedding gift only a few months later!
  • GenesGrill
    BBQfan1,
    This past October my wife and I took our Pleasureway RV to the Amish country of Ohio (Holmes County, OH) and stayed there for several days. The owners of the campground, who had their home on the site, had two strange looking green cookers on their patio. The couple had owned them for several years (a small and a large BGE) and loved them....I have never seen anyone so enthusiast over a BBQ grill before. He said he normally used the small one to cook on except when they had family over or were cooking a turkey, they they used the large. Soon as I got home from vacation, I started lurking on this forum and bought a medium egg a few months later..........

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    GenesGrill,
    My half brother (much older than me) brought one back for my dad after the war in the 60's (Actually, it was a Kamado, but you know what I mean) and it was broken in the move to my current home town in 1967. Ever since then I've wanted one, but couldn't afford a Big Green Egg. Last August I convinced that better half to break down and let me buy us one for my 46th birthday, and it was everything I had remembered about my dads old Kamado.
    The week I got my Egg I gave away two Weber kettles, and a Brinkman water smoker, along with several bags of Kingsford Briquettes!
    I'm an Egg and Lump man for life now.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    GenesGrill,
    I grew up about 3 miles from the original Mothership and used to pass by it almost every day. I bought my first EGG (a small)in 1987 for $99. Ed used to run these little ads in the sports section of the Atlanta Journal and I saw that ad probably 50 times before I finally went and pulled the trigger.
    I had that small for a long time and cooked a lot of good memories on it. It even went through college with me, both in Missouri and Culinary School.
    It finally was broken during a move and I went out a couple of weeks later and bought a Large. Well another Large, a Small, and an XL later and it's still a big portion of my life.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    GenesGrill,
    My dad had a clay komodo he bought at the Subic Bay exchange in the Phillipines. It was a fixture on the back patio at home as I grew up. He called it a hibachi and never cooked anything other than steaks, burgers, dogs, and an occasional london broil on it. I started looking for one after I got married and we bought our first house. I never could find one in the few barbeque stores in the area. I happened across a Que conversation when out of town for training and the guy told me about the BGE. Found this site and forum and just had to have one.[p]The deal with the wife was she got this foofoo red chair and ottoman that no one was allowed to sit in and I got my "grill". Now of course her chair does not match the decor so it was traded with the mother in law for her foofoo chair that I use as clothes rack :>)......and our large BGE has a small for a friend. [p]BGE green always matches the patio decor.[p]Dennis

• KBuck
    KBuck Posts: 42
    Bobby-Q,[p]I had an ECB and loved it, but kept coming across that same tiny “worlds greatest smoker” ad in the AJC and yes it probably was 50 times I’d seen it before going any further. In the early 90 the inner-net wasn’t much use, so my “research” consisted of putting a wing in my mouth at Clairmont&BufordHwy. I drove off scheming a way to save for a small clay refurbished for $99. Half way home, still tasting the wings, I pulled a U-turn and went back for the buy.
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Kind of a long story. I read about them eons ago. (Pre-internet. Hmm, did we have dirt back then?) Was much intrigued but figured that A. They would be expensive and B. I didn't want to drop that kind of cash without seeing one first. So I put it out of my mind.[p]About 6 and a half years ago I was in the market for a new grill and was leaning toward a Portable Kitchen. My in-laws had one of the originals and I'd borrowed theirs a time or two, liked it and I was getting tired of Webers and Brinkmans. I heard there was a dealer down in Springfield, MO so we went down there one weekend to see about getting one. What I didn't know was that dealer also sold BGE and was the distributor for MO/AR.[p]We got down there and I asked about the Portable Kitchen and then the Eggs. "Where you from?" he asked me. When I told him he said "We've got a dealer there." and walked off. To say I was a might put off is an understatement. But I hung around and started talking to the other customers, especially about cooking during the winter. The wife and I left, not buying an Egg or the Portable Kitchen.[p]Kind of stewed about the whole deal for a week and the wife said let's go find the dealer here in Jeff. We did, he quoted me a price on a large and we left. I stewed about it some more and the wife said: "If it means I don't have to listen to you whine all winter that you can't cook out it'll be worth the money." So I went back, bought the Egg and the rest is history. One of the three best buys of my life: My wedding bands, my Egg, and my snow blower. (The order I put those in is purely political and subject to on the spot changes - grin!)[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    GenesGrill,[p] Seeing Naked Whiz and Nature Boy brag about theirs on another forum..[p] I get my XL BGE right after the Eggfest in San Franscisco next weekend. I can't wait to fire it up..[p]
  • GenesGrill,[p]I saw a Martha Stewart show about cooking with lump charcoal, and started using lump ~'98 (in a Weber); we moved to a house just up the road from the old Mothership, which was next to one of my favorite thrift stores - at first, I thought it was just charcoal, but when I stumbled in after a few months of restraint, I was amazed, and wound up getting a Large two years later (it took that long because we were saving, then spending, $$$ on our backyard/patio/deck - got the Egg as the crowning touch for the best backyard in ATL!)

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    GenesGrill,
    I have cooked at lot for a long time. I wanted a good smoker/grill and one day this January I heard Tom Fitzmorris (a local food critic) answering some question about the BGE on his radio show. He said they can do a lot of things, but you have to learn what they do well. I started lurking around this website and went out and bought an XL. Been very happy with it and havn't found anything yet that doesn't work well. However, I don't think I would do a deep fried turkey on it after reading the Lawn Ranger posts today.

• GenesGrill
    dhuffjr,
    Subic Bay PI.....remember it well from the late 70's when my ship used to pull in there. I bought a pachinko game and pappasan chair there........

• My family owns a farm in Wayne County next to Holmes!! We go there often and we have Amish neighbors that help out my parents when needed. We love the Amish country in Ohio and it helps to have the family history/farm there also.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    GenesGrill,
    I saw one in 1999 at a local patio/spa store. I loved the design; knew nothing about cooking outdoors (the only grill I ever owned was a six-buck Hibachi). The salesman was totally clueless about the BGE. I read the brochures and visited the Website. Jim and I decided that it wouldn't hurt to have such a versatile cooker for Y2K. We bought a Large; I found the Forum; we went to the 2000 Waldorf EggFest and met Nature Boy and many other fine Eggers, and the rest is history. Now we have a Large, a Small, and will soon get a Mini. The BGE is the best purchase we've ever made in the 20 years we've been married. That includes cars and houses.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Kelly Keefe, ohhhh, I see - you assume Gabe was not a "purchase" huh? Wait til that little "freebie of yours" starts consuming 3 gallon of milk a day!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    GenesGrill,
    6 years ago I overheard a heated argument going on in a parking lot at a local garden shop that was a BGE dealer (until the next month) Well - one fellow had driven over from Iowa (about 90 miles) to buy lump which he had called ahead about. In the meantime a local guy got there minutes before and bought all 3 bags - The Iowan begged for him to sell him one bag and the local refused and while it never came to blows it got very profane! That intrigued me and I started researching on this very board.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    GenesGrill,
    I was shopping for a fancy gasser and saw this funny looking green thing in the showroom. The salesman chuckled and mentioned something about a website and a cult....
    Paul

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    GenesGrill,[p]Nearly two years ago I was waiting for a repair at a small store. To blow time I wandered into other shops nearby. Saw an Egg in a BBQ store and asked about it. The shopkeeper didn't know much, but the concept struck me as outstanding. I saw the price, and although I wanted one I decided I would skip it. Too much of an extravagance. Afterall, I had my gasser. Stuck the literature in a drawer and peeked at it now and then.[p]What got me to purchase was a car accident about a month later. I walked away from it, but it was close. The accident changed my attitude on a number of things, and the Egg was one. I purchased a large as soon as my vehicle was repaired (couldn't have transported it in my cr@ppy loaner).[p]BTW, I didn't know about this board until I had been using my Egg for three months, so the board had no influence on my decision. Had lots of trial and error in those months. My skills and my enjoyment of the Egg accelerated after I found this board. The Eggfest at Waldorf really helped, too![p]DD
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    GenesGrill,[p]I was getting pool chemicals for an Easy set pool I did not want at a pool store. Went there at lunch with a co-worker. He saw them first and said, WOW look at these. My initial thought was there is NO WAY I would pay that much for a CHARCOAL grill. I was wrong.[p]
    E

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    KBuck,
    Yep, later that same year, like a couple of months later I got a refurbished Kitchen Aid stand mixer that to this day is still going strong.[p]That was a good year, culinarily speaking.