Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ditched my cast iron grate for a set of GrillGrates.

Options
Man, I loved my cast iron grate. 

Today its it's going to hit 60* here in NEPA. And I went out to the BGE to check everything, do a burn, etc. And the cast iron grate is all rusted, again. And it's in that pattern over the hot spot, where the seasoning always burns off. 

I started wire brushing it, again, and I was going to get the wire wheel and drill and goggles, and then I thought, screw this. Every freakin' year, sometimes twice or three times a year, I do this. And I got the freakin' thing specifically FOR those high temp grilling a that it doesn't hold up well to.

I went on Amazon looking for a porcelain coated cast iron grate that would fit, and the suggestion came up for the GrillGrates, which I've heard good things about and I know a couple kamado owners who use them and like them. So, goodbye, cast iron grate. Sorry to see you go, but your 19th century solution for a thousand year old problem has been eclipsed.

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    If your cast iron grates are getting so hot that the seasoning burns off you might want to keep an eye on the temps used with the GrillGrates.

You'll want to avoid doing this:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I seasoned my CI grate when I got it and have never needed to do so since.  How long was yours sitting unused?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I just sprang for the cast iron BGE grate, haven't seasoned yet (time) but am looking forward to using it
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    If your cast iron grates are getting so hot that the seasoning burns off you might want to keep an eye on the temps used with the GrillGrates.

You'll want to avoid doing this:

Yow!
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options

Ragtop99 said:
    I seasoned my CI grate when I got it and have never needed to do so since.  How long was yours sitting unused?
    Since around Christmas.

I've used it almost exclusively for high temp cooking of steaks. And the seasoning burns off where the hot spot is, opposite the bottom vent. And it always has. This is at 600*.

I've been using cast iron for 40 years, it's not like I can't reseason it. I just got tired of doing it. And this time the rust is all down between the rails, I decided the heck with it.

@HeavyG, I did read in the comments on the Amazon page that when the dome temp is 400*, the GrillGrates can be 700* or more! I have an infrared thermometer so I can learn to adjust my thinking.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Interesting. I've used CI grids in both eggs from day 1. They stay in the egg 99.9% of the time. They've seen L&S and screaming sear hot (well over 1K℉) & they still kick ass. 19th century solution to 1,000 yr old problem solved with grill grates?  Not sold with these personally. If it needs seared it either happens on the CI grids or a CI pan (on the egg). Grill Grates are fine I'm sure. I reseason the CI grids occasionally but, only as needed. No need to reinvent the wheel. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Yeah, be careful down there with aluminum.  Been there, done that.

For a hells sear, I just go caveman and toss it on the coals.  Warped a nice CI griddle getting it too close to the fire.  

High temp grillng, my CI sweet spot is standard direct setup, until it's IR'd at around 600.  Sometimes it's even raised direct at the felt line.  

Hope the Grill Grates work out.  CI isn't for everybody.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Interesting reading. I fell for the "get a CI plate setter" line. "No more need for a CI skillet"....yeah  OK. Folks that believe this must never use it as a plate setter. Mine is flat out crusty. Sure...I could spend 15 minutes wire wheeling it clean....and the some more time so rubbing it to get the black oily crap off of it...or I could just use a CI skillet...
    So tired of "sales pitches". I am very hesitant now to buy any gadgets for our Eggs. KA basket, stainless steel caps, fish grates etc....yeah ok....perhaps this is why I do most of my cooking on my RF anymore...stone age technology that simply works...
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    edited February 2016
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    "..So tired of "sales pitches". I am very hesitant now to buy any gadgets for our Eggs. KA basket, stainless steel caps, fish grates etc.."

Question re: the KAB:
    I just finished off my accessory purchases for the MM with a woo, 10" ceramic (to go along with a 13"/PS from BGE), 10" drip pan and KAB from CGS. Was wondering if the 'normal' MM size lump would be too small for the KAB's openings yet didn't care.
    Does the latter possibility with most assorted lump that one would burn reflect the above (negative?) comment? Maybe I read it wrong and still respect your opinion either way.
    Looking forward to grabbing the woo/lifting everything out to inspect/add lump if needed and grabbing the KAB to finish (picked up the Cobb Grill Grate as well).

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    "..So tired of "sales pitches". I am very hesitant now to buy any gadgets for our Eggs. KA basket, stainless steel caps, fish grates etc.."

Question re: the KAB:
    I just finished off my accessory purchases for the MM with a woo, 10" ceramic (to go along with a 13"/PS from BGE), 10" drip pan and KAB from CGS. Was wondering if the 'normal' MM size lump would be too small for the KAB's openings yet didn't care.
    Does the latter possibility with most assorted lump that one would burn reflect the above (negative?) comment? Maybe I read it wrong and still respect your opinion either way.
    Looking forward to grabbing the woo/lifting everything out to inspect/add lump if needed and grabbing the KAB to finish (picked up the Cobb Grill Grate as well).

I know nothing about the basket....have no plans of ever owning one. Have gotten by without it since 05 or so when we got our first Egg. To me it seems like it will waste a lot of lump. I keep all the small stuff in buckets. One of our XL'S is going to be a dedicated low and slow Egg. When using a FlameBoss the XL has 0 trouble holding 225* with nothing but small pieces of chunk.