Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

White smoke?

Options
So finally managed to get a cook in and I switched from maple leaf lump to Royal oak (blue bag) cause that's all I had on hand and it took almost 2 hours for the white smoke to dissipate before I could cook...is this the norm for RO? Seems like maple leaf was ready to go much sooner. Maybe I need a clean burn??? 

Whats your our usual ready to go burn in time.

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    @CANMAN1976 I use RO red bag 45 minutes to an hour its clear.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Denser. More VOCs per volume
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    I have used Basque's sugar maple and even RO (as RO) and as private branded lump.  At the end of the day, you've just got to wait it out-once the smoke smells good then it is good.
    BTW-I would not base any clean burn decision on the time for " good smoke" as there are many variables that contribute-and dealing with the time to good smoke in a short interval between cooks is not one to weigh too heavily.  But just an opinion, and we all know what those are worth.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I made the mistake of buying BBQ galore lump while in LA. I just wanted to try something besides RO. It's been an hour and a half, still waiting for clear smoke, I put my hand over the top and it is nasty!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Smart move is to fill up to the top of the rim, and the next five cooks won't requure any wait time. The VOCS will be long gone
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sad thing Is RO is 19.99 per 20 lb bag  and so is maple leaf....guess what I'll be getting...lol 
    Much faster burn in and a better less smokey taste.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).