Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chucks?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I recently purchased a BGE and since I'm in the learning stages, I have a question about dry vs. soaked wood chunks. I've heard that it really makes no difference if you soak your wood or leave dry.[p]What do you all think, I'm going to have some friends over for some baby backs today and want to impress them with nice smoky ribs.[p]Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving![p]Thanks![p]

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Stephen L, I'm sure there's someone somewhere who's tried woodchucks on the Egg, but personally I haven't, :)
    As for wood chunks, I think most feel that soaking isn't necessary with something you're grilling, i.e. steaks and chops, but it is beneficial for a longer cook, i.e. roasts, briskets and , yeah, ribs. Soaking gives the wood some smolder and will be more beneficial in the long run. Sometimes the typos on the forum are pretty good; I remember when I first came upon the forum a year or so ago there was a classic where someone said they 'couldn't resist peeing down the chimney of the Egg'. Of course it was 'peeking' that they couldn't refrain from, but I'll never forget that one!
    Cheers, enjoy the company here on the forum and at your rib cook out as well.
    BBQfan1

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Poor Gretl! I'll bet she's turning red & laughing all over again!!! :-)))

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Stephen L,[p]Welcome to the family and forum.[p]One of the nicest things about this forum is that we all seem to do things a bit differently, yet reach the same goals. With wood chunks, I think we are split 50/50 on soak or not. With wood chips, we seem to agree that soaking is required. The difference between using chips or chunks is chips will provide a initial strong smoke and then die off, where chunks provide a milder smoke that lasts longer into the cook.[p]Soaking wood involves two steps. The first is to well soak the wood (in warm water), and this takes some time. Dry wood absorbs water very slowly. The second (and more important) is to allow the wood to drain well so that you don't add water to the fire. The wood should be soaked, not soaking wet.[p]Meat absorbs smoke best when its surface temp is under 140°F. Smoke added early in the cook tends to penetrate deeply into the meal. Smoke added later in the cook tends to concentrate nearer the surface of the meal.[p]Smoke is a great spice to a meal. Cook them ribs![p]Spin

• FiveFalls
    Options
    Stephen L,
    If you are going to have a long cook (one hour or more )and want to keep the smoke coming I recommend soaking the chunks. Otherwise they could eventually flame-up causing a rise in the internal temp and the little flame flickering from the burning chunk can burn areas of the meat over them.