Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rendering Down Some Pork Fat

Options

My neighbor gave me some fat from a pig he had butchered. The pig was a free range pig. I cut up about half of what he gave me and I have it on my egg at 225°. Here is how it's looking so far.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Very nice gift. I'm supposing rendering the fat in an Egg will give it some smoke flavor. But I would caution, based on doing goose fat, that it might get too smokey. W. the goose fat, I ended up cooking w. about 1 Tbl. of smoked fat mixed w. 1 C. plain boil rendered fat.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I'm hoping to not pick up any smoke flavor. My LBGE I'm using is the one I use for breads and pizzas only. I also have a heavy foil cover.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You need a spoon? 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    You need a spoon? 

Thanks. Another few hours and then dust them with some rub and spread out on some foil at 350° till crispy. Should be tasty.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You should make sure he gives you the back fat and caul fat if you make pate'. 

If you don't, you oughta. Hog like that, local and free to feed? Dayum
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]