Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm tired of the anti-well done snobs

Options

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    NPHuskerFL said:no
    FWIW I do like my beef rare to med rare. My wife prefers hers well, well done. As much as I'd like to convert her like a butch lesbo I don't try because she loves her steak the way she likes it. PS... Girl Scout Cookies Still Suck! :tongue: 
    But how many of your steaks have you let over cook or get cold while cooking hers?
    No, I'm not bitter.
    No need to sweat the details.  Wilma likes her steak a bit north of medium.  I just put hers on a minute or two before mine.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

Lunch, wasn't even "sashimi grade"
    Um, I think "sashimi grade" isn't about quality, it's about having been frozen to a deep enough temperature that no parasites are viable.  Raw tuna that hasn't been frozen that deeply can have parasites in it, that can very happily start growing inside YOU.

If I don't know for sure, I cook tuna medium-rare to medium.
  • Eggscuses
    Options
     Now this was interesting! 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    My wife only eats well done and I understand the original posters concern about everyone feeling they need to comment on her preference.  I won't eat hamburger that isn't well done either but someplaces the wait staff always discourage this preference by making a comment on that they can't guarantee that it won't be dried out, I just ask if they can guarantee my health if I order it medium rare.  
    A little off topic rant but from what I understand a lot of the large chain restaurant's "chefs" basically plate items pre-cooked in a factory and just re-heated in the kitchen, might as well go eat tv dinners.  Apparently even hamburger comes frozen pre-cooked.  Makes the fast food patty flippers seem like they are doing more cooking.

Gerhard
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    NPHuskerFL said:no
    FWIW I do like my beef rare to med rare. My wife prefers hers well, well done. As much as I'd like to convert her like a butch lesbo I don't try because she loves her steak the way she likes it. PS... Girl Scout Cookies Still Suck! :tongue: 
    But how many of your steaks have you let over cook or get cold while cooking hers?
    No, I'm not bitter.

@buzzvol None. Easy obstacle. It allows me more time with the egg. It allows 1-2 more beers. And it keeps my bride happy. I'd say it's a pretty easy thing to do for her.  Truthfully most people overcook a well done steak. I know. I know. :confused: How is that possible?  A well done steak should still be juicy and full of flavor. It shouldn't be a charred hockey puck or dried out piece of jerky. And as far as mine goes it's simple timing.  I put mine on "approx" once hers is nearing med well. Bottom line each one of us likes different things. 
    I feel the same way @Hubwhen questioned w/ that..."you want it rare or med rare" followed by an ewe. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    My wife only eats well done and I understand the original posters concern about everyone feeling they need to comment on her preference.  I won't eat hamburger that isn't well done either but someplaces the wait staff always discourage this preference by making a comment on that they can't guarantee that it won't be dried out, I just ask if they can guarantee my health if I order it medium rare.  
    A little off topic rant but from what I understand a lot of the large chain restaurant's "chefs" basically plate items pre-cooked in a factory and just re-heated in the kitchen, might as well go eat tv dinners.  Apparently even hamburger comes frozen pre-cooked.  Makes the fast food patty flippers seem like they are doing more cooking.

Gerhard
    No one cares how you or anyone else likes to eat their food. However, when you say it's "bloody" you need to be corrected. It's not. That's all. I do feel many people don't eat beef mid rare because they are put off by the notion they are eating "bloody" meat. That is a shame IMO. I have a kid that doesn't want to eat much beef at all and not real rare, so I do understand the issue. I still feel it is at least partially rooted in ignorance of the process and just a visual hurdle of the mind. In the end, it's your choice, of course. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    As long as there are NO FORKS! in the pic I'm cool. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I was just being a smart ars.  The egg and the thermo pen have both helped greatly in this department. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'll cook a steak until it looks like Mickeys Nap Wings if my guest wants it that way. I want all of my guests to enjoy their meal. No butthurt here. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @Hub walked into this bar looking for a fight.  By citing his resume' and service to our country, I'd say there was alcohol involved prior to taking to the keyboard.  @Hub, you can have your steak any way that you like it!  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    gerhardk said:

Gerhard
    The server also has to cover themselves so you can't then try and return the plate to the kitchen saying it was dry and cooked incorrectly.

I had friends who worked at DIstrict Chophouse when I was in grad school, and they said the kitchen loved people to order steaks well done, the policy of "Save for Well-Done" that Bourdain describes in Kitchen Confidential was definitely in place; ordering it well done lets the kitchen charge you $30 for a steak that they'd have to toss otherwise.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Was raised eating "one step this side of mooing"....as my Dad used to call it. Ernestina won't touch anything like that. Started out everything had to be shoe leather. 141* is about as low as I can go on Tri Tips before either one of us is bitching. That's not to say I won't eat something on the rarer side. Trip to AZ my buddy made steaks. He doesn't use a thermometer. My steak was a bit on the cold side of rare....was drunk enough I didn't care....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @Hub walked into this bar looking for a fight.  By citing his resume' and service to our country, I'd say there was alcohol involved prior to taking to the keyboard.  @Hub, you can have your steak any way that you like it!  
    I just hope the drunk lawyer is nursing his hangover ok today.

He's probably having a well done steak and eggs breakfast. And a Bloody Mary.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    @Hub is getting his money's worth on comments this weekend!!!! Well I sure know how piss off everyone now if I ever need to! Just barge in and call your meat names! :)

My wife only wanted her steak well done. I am always in charge of making it and eventually got to a point where I slowly started making it less well done. She kept an open mind as I showed her research that it was not "blood" and that it actually tastes much better. Eventually she worked her way to medium rare and she said she has been missing out all her life! Now she gets into arguments with people and tries to convert them. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited February 2016
    Options
    1move said:
    Now she gets into arguments with people and tries to convert them. 

This is the part that is what bothers people, they want to be converted to your taste in meat about as much as your taste in God.

Gerhard
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This would have been better five pages ago, but what the heck:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I have no beef with the way anyone likes their beef.... Unless I serve you some Prime and ya nuke it... Then we fightin'

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited February 2016
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    1move said:
    Now she gets into arguments with people and tries to convert them. 

This is the part that is what bothers people, they want to be converted to your taste in meat about as much as your taste in God.

Gerhard
    @gerhardk I agree however it's only brought up when others say that their steak is too dry when they cook it and at our house it isn't. Well then we go down the pay of this thread and it always ends up being that it's because I have a BGE and that's why it tastes better. :)
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Thin mints and Samoas are AWESOME. If you disagree you are as crazy as the angry op who like his beef burnt because he thinks it's bloody.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Focker said:

Hopefully if they criticized, they at least posted a pic of the steak they grilled, and not a steakhouse chain.  A lot of Monday mornin' armchair quarterbackin' goin' on around  here.  

Cry me a river. Will a Chop do for now? since you didn't like my Ruth's Chris steak. Still way better than lines.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Do-si-dos and Trefoils for the win.  Given my accumulated laps of the sun, I limit myself to a box a day til I run out.  Fortunately I don't buy too many boxes, but when I do...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    Options
  • henapple
    Options
    J.jpg 312.3K
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I went to a steak house (bar & grill) in the mountains a couple of decades ago that had a sign on the wall (near the menu) that said something like " We can't guarantee the tenderness of your steak if you insist on ordering it well-done".
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    I have no beef with the way anyone likes their beef.... Unless I serve you some Prime and ya nuke it... Then we fightin'

I'm not sure what you mean by "nuke it".  I have re-heated cold leftover medium rare steaks and made them warm and juicy and still pink inside.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Seems like these classic threads show up on Friday and Saturday night. Could there be be [gasp] alcoholic beverages involved? 
  • FarmerTom
    Options

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• morrobayrich
    Options
    To each his own.  If you  like to eat barbecued shoe, more power to you.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options

Moo!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC