Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT post the best BBQ joints in your area

Options
figured an egghead might pass through St. John's county one day. This is from woodpeckers BBQ. Hole in the wall that has great food. They close when the my sell out of food and they do sell out.  Here is a sampler platter that I put in my own foil when I got home. Turkey, chicken, sausage, brisket, pulled pork, ribs, with double slaw and double Mac and cheese. All for $32+ a nice tip. They absolutely nailed the Alabama white sauce and their other sauces are up to par. If you're in the st Augustine area it is worth the trip
St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Q39 in the KC area and it's not even close. Forget the big names places that the tourists go to.  Here I had the chicken and sausage with fries. Their brisket is on par with franklins and their ribs and sausage are out of this world. Most places here are dry rub with sauce on the side. Q39 is as close to competition BBQ you can get. A little sweet, a little spicy, a tiny bit of glaze.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Not many Bbq joints in the great Central Valley CA. So I gotta go with my house!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • ckali7
    ckali7 Posts: 120
    Options
    Savannah: B's crackling
    Brunswick: Gary Lee's and Southern Soul
    Charleston: Swig and Swine
    Done! 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    ckali7 said:
    Savannah: B's crackling
    Brunswick: Gary Lee's and Southern Soul
    Charleston: Swig and Swine
    Done! 
    Where are you located?
  • Jhwilkin
    Options
    Lexington BBQ, Aka the honeymonk in my area. Although I prefer eastern NC style. Wilber's in Goldsboro-best in the state. 
    Concord, NC-LBGE
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Jhwilkin said:
    Lexington BBQ, Aka the honeymonk in my area. Although I prefer eastern NC style. Wilber's in Goldsboro-best in the state. 
    My opinion is Wilber's has really gone down hill. If you find yourself in the Greenville area try B's bbq. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

@bhedges1987

Thanks for the tip!  KC is a great weekend getaway for us in Omaha.  I'll have to remember that when I head down there next. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Ok, so who is going to compile the info on this thread to the Egghead Map? ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hell, I live in the middle of Texas with Franklins 50 miles to the South (yes we drive 50 miles for lunch or dinner here). 
    There is 10 of the top 20 in the nation in a 70 mile ring from me. 
    No where to start except Franklins and......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    B's BBQin Greenville NC the best!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Hell, I live in the middle of Texas with Franklins 50 miles to the South (yes we drive 50 miles for lunch or dinner here). 
    There is 10 of the top 20 in the nation in a 70 mile ring from me. 
    No where to start except Franklins and......
    I don't know if you have been to Valentina's, but I went recently while in Austin on the recommendation of some Eggheads on this forum. I wasn't able to go to Franklin's for comparison, but Valentina's brisket and sausage was some of the best food I have ever eaten. Period. I couldn't have been more impressed. Awesome guys too, they talked to me forever and let me look at their briskets and their Pitt. It was an awesome experience and I highly recommend everyone stopping by to give it a try. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The last time I was in Greenville, I didn't know B's existed. The last time I LIVED in Greenville, it DIDN'T exist! If I ever make it there again, I'll definitely hit Bs as well as the Skylight Inn just down the road in Ayden (that place WAS there when I was... but I didn't know it. Sigh).

As for Q in my area... you must be joking!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Southern Soul is walking distance
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    The last time I was in Greenville, I didn't know B's existed. The last time I LIVED in Greenville, it DIDN'T exist! If I ever make it there again, I'll definitely hit Bs as well as the Skylight Inn just down the road in Ayden (that place WAS there when I was... but I didn't know it. Sigh).

Not sure when you left but it has been there since the late 70's. Give it a try if you make it back- will warn you it's one of those places that sells till they are out. It's got the white eastern style slaw and it's all really good. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I went to Honey Monks in Lexington a couple months ago for the first time in a decade. It was awful. Won't make that mistake again. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

Not sure when you left but it has been there since the late 70's. Give it a try if you make it back- will warn you it's one of those places that sells till they are out. It's got the white eastern style slaw and it's all really good. 
    Yeah, I left in '69. I knew they closed when they ran out. And they have no phone so you can't call to find out. As for slaw, are you implying that there's ANOTHER type? :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I went to Honey Monks in Lexington a couple months ago for the first time in a decade. It was awful. Won't make that mistake again. 
    Wow! I've never been, but I thought it was supposed to be the holy grail for western NC style Q. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    My son attends ECU and I have yet to go to either B's or Skylight Inn but they are both on my list. The pharmacy in Ayden has some of the best chicken salad and pimento cheese I've ever had. Yes, a pharmacy; it has a small grill in it and they're always packed for lunch. 

Closer to home, in Shelby, is Bridges Bar-B-Que Lodge. They're an institution in this part of the state. Have stopped there many times on our way to camping in the foothills with the Scouts. Sit at the counter for a different dining experience if you ever get a chance.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    We got a Famous Dave's.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Does Sonny's count? They've got a lot of all you can eat platters ... =)
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    My son attends ECU and I have yet to go to either B's or Skylight Inn but they are both on my list. The pharmacy in Ayden has some of the best chicken salad and pimento cheese I've ever had. Yes, a pharmacy; it has a small grill in it and they're always packed for lunch. 

Closer to home, in Shelby, is Bridges Bar-B-Que Lodge. They're an institution in this part of the state. Have stopped there many times on our way to camping in the foothills with the Scouts. Sit at the counter for a different dining experience if you ever get a chance.
    Which brother? 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Does Sonny's count? They've got a lot of all you can eat platters ... =)
    I got denied admission to Sonny's once when they had all you can eat chicken every Sunday. I had been there the previous 3 Sundays with the same 3 friends and the 4 of us collectively were destroying any possible opportunity for profit...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hard to believe, but some of the best Q I've paid money for is just a few miles from my house in Morgantown, PA.
    http://stampedesmokinbbq.com/

It's seasonal though, doesn't open again until May.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Best BBQ joint in my neck of the woods (er suburbia) just happens to be my backyard, but then again, I may not be an impartial witness. :lol:

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Can't really recommend anything in Northern Virginia.  That's one of the reasons I make my own.  A couple of weeks ago, we took a detour to eat at the Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC.  Wow!  Some of the best BBQ we have ever eaten, and we have had a lot of pulled pork.  Highly recommended.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • NC_Egghead
    Options

NC_Egghead said: My son attends ECU and I have yet to go to either B's or Skylight Inn but they are both on my list. The pharmacy in Ayden has some of the best chicken salad and pimento cheese I've ever had. Yes, a pharmacy; it has a small grill in it and they're always packed for lunch. 

Closer to home, in Shelby, is Bridges Bar-B-Que Lodge. They're an institution in this part of the state. Have stopped there many times on our way to camping in the foothills with the Scouts. Sit at the counter for a different dining experience if you ever get a chance. Which brother? 
    @Wolfpack, if you mean which pharmacy in Ayden, it's Edwards, on 3rd Street. I'll get a quart of each every chance I get. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options

Which brother? 

@Wolfpack, if you mean which pharmacy in Ayden, it's Edwards, on 3rd Street. I'll get a quart of each every chance I get.  I like Red Bridges the best...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options

Which brother? 

@Wolfpack, if you mean which pharmacy in Ayden, it's Edwards, on 3rd Street. I'll get a quart of each every chance I get. 
    I like Red Bridges the best...
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Wow! I've never been, but I thought it was supposed to be the holy grail for western NC style Q. 
    It is supposed to be. I swear I'd eat pulled pork out of a can before I went back there.