Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enchiladas recipe?

Options
So I'm looking for a best ever enchiladas recipe. It's my girl's favorite meal and I wanna impress her next week. Does anyone have a go to? Appreciation for all responses in advance!

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have one. Do you have access to any fire roasted green chili's? It's a key ingrediate in mine.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Okay, ugly norwegian/german mutt from Minnesota here, but I lived in Albuquerque for five years and cooked/ate out with a vengeance.  I'll let @northGAcock do the green chile thing (I have about 1/4 of last years' bushel still in my freezer).  I'll give you my red chile enchilada recipe.

First, the sauce: heat two tablespoons of veggie oil in a pot, and stir in 1.5 Tbspns white flour, stir frequently until it turns tan.  Add two Tbspns of finely-diced white onion, along with no more than 1/4 tsp cumin (most recipes call for more, my tongue doesn't need much, adjust to your own taste).  Saute another 45 seconds or so, then add 1 to 3 Tblspns powdered red chile, Not CHILI POWDER.  It should be chile only, not the lawry's stuff that has added salt, garlic powder, etc.  You can grind your own.  Once fragrant, add a can of chicken broth, pinch of oregano, and salt, stir thoroughly, and turn heat to low/simmer.  Cook at least 20 minutes.

Second, the enchiladas:  fresh corn tortillas, and a fresh white Mexican cheese if you have any available in your area (if nothing else, grate a quarter-pound of Jack).  Heat a frypan with 1/4" or so of peanut oil, lard, or (not authentic but my favorite) bacon grease.  Once shimmering, and a corner of a corn tortilla immediately starts bubbling when dipped in, lay in a tortilla and constantly press down the center of the disk back into the oil (it will bubble up), flip after about 15 seconds and do the other side.  Lift out with tongs, shake to drain, and dip into the chile sauce, flip, and lift out/drain again.  Toss onto a flat plate or baking dish.
    Now, you can go two ways, rolled or stacked.  I almost always go stacked anymore:  sprinkle some of the grated cheese on top of the chile-soaked tortilla, then a VERY light sprinkle of more raw minced onion.  Immediately fry another tortilla, stack on top, repeat toppings, for 3 or 4 layers.  Top with the rest of the cheese and pop into a 400 oven for 15 minutes or so.  
    Serve, sprinkled with cilantro and/or green onions as desired.  

You can add beef, pork, chicken, chorizo or ???, but this is a vegetarian dish that I could live on.  Enjoy!  (and I think I've changed lunch plans for tomorrow...)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    White or traditional?  Chicken, beef, pork, ...? 
    My wife makes several variety. All of them kill. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • crabcakez
    Options
    I'm sure I could find some green chiles and roast them myself. Are there any particular ones that you use? I would prefer beef or pork but it doesn't really matter husker.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hatch Chile is best but, they're not in season so you'd probably have to get canned at the moment. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Hatch Chile is best but, they're not in season so you'd probably have to get canned at the moment.

Anahein or ancho will work in a pinch, roast to char skin, place in a ziploc for an hour or more while hot.  Overnight is ok
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Ancho is dried poblano. You should be able to get poblanos. They aren't as hot as Hatch. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Recipe got lost:

Enchiladas, Green Chile Sauce, Chicken, Pulled Pork, OR Turkey, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 Cups Turkey or Chicken, or Pulled Pork, cooked, chopped
    SAUCE:
    1-2 Onions, diced
    1-2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
    **OR**
    2 Tbs Garlic, Granulated
    6-8 Hatch Green Chiles, preferably fresh
    **OR**
    4 4 Ozs Cans Green Chiles
    1 6 Lbs 4 Ozs Can La Costena Tomatillos, Drained skin removed
    3 Medium Onions, Roasted
    8-10 Fresh Tomatillos, Roasted
    2-3 Whole Cubanelle Peppers, Roasted
    4 7 Ozs Cans Green Chile Salsa
    4 Tbs Green Chile, Dried, Ground
    1 Can Corona, Budweiser or other clear beer
    1 Tbs Crushed Chipotle Flakes
    2 Tbs Cumin
    1 19 Ozs Can Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
    2 Tbs Mexican Oregano
    1 Bunch Cilantro, Stems removed, chopped,  add at end
    1/2 Stick Butter, Add At end
    2 Tbs Sugar
    1 1/2 Cups Pico de Gallo, Red Salsa, at end of cook
    10-12 Corn Tortillas
    16 Ozs+ Queso Blanco, or other shredded cheese
    2-3 Cups White onions, Diced
    Meat
    Green Chile sauce
    Garnish:
    Fresh Cilantro, Chopped (Optional)
    Sour Cream
    Avocado Slices
    Sides:
    Mexican Rice
    Refried Beans

PROCEDURE:

1. The Basics:

2. Take the tomatillos, onions and cubanelle peppers and place on the BGE 350°F until they char 15 minutes or so, remove and cool.

3. Place in a Dutch oven that will fit on the BGE you are using, I used a 7Qt on my small BGE without a lid. Add tomatillos, both the charred ones and the ones from the can (drained). onions and cubanelle peppers all chopped.

4. Bring to a slight boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add all the rest of the seasonings for the sauce and simmer for 15 minutes. Pureè with a stick blender and then place on the BGE direct at 225°F for 3-4 hours with smoking wood of choice, I used pecan today.

5. Take the corn tortillas and briefly place in hot peanut oil, just to freshen up tortilla unless you have a source for fresh, and then spread some sauce on it..

6. Layer the bottom of a lasagne type pan with some of the sauce. 
    At this point you can either add the meat, poultry to the tortilla and roll or layer them flat in the pan. 
    If doing flat, place the tortilla on top of sauce, add meat, poultry, some fresh diced onions and cheese along with some green chiles layed flat.

7. If rolling the enchiladas, just add the meat, poultry, roll and place side by side, seam down in the pan. Cover with whole green chiles, fresh chile sauce, fresh onions diced and cheese.

8. Set BGE up 350-375 indirect and cover with foil. cook 45 minutes or so and then remove foil to brown up cheese.

9. Garnish with chopped cilantro, sour cream, avocado slices.

10. Serve wwith Mexican rice and refried beans.

Yield: 6 Quarts

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Poultry

Tips
    NOTE:This recipe is fun and you can play with it when doing the sauce.;  The sauce freezes well but when made into enchiladas, does not freeze well as the tortillas absorbs the moisture and becomes mush when defrosted and cooked.

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/04/11**