Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New knock off at Costco

Looks like a vision did not have a floor sample 

Comments

• The poor suckers that buy that will be purchasing a BGE when they realize the difference.
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Chillin@5 said:
    The poor suckers that buy that will be purchasing a BGE when they realize the difference.
    Why do you say that?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Chillin@5 said:
    The poor suckers that buy that will be purchasing a BGE when they realize the difference.
    You do realize that BGE's are not the original kamados right?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Interesting. I hope to never discover that they're just as good for half the price. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    warranty and customer service
    love Costco but there is a big difference between returning the whole unit and calling to get a part replaced

• HeavyG
    fruitguy said:
    warranty and customer service
    love Costco but there is a big difference between returning the whole unit and calling to get a part replaced

According to the Pit Boss site they offer a lifetime warranty on the ceramics and the user just pays for shipping which is similar to some other kamado manufacturers.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• To me it looks very similar to the vision brand grill that I own. Maybe they sold the company and pit boss is the new name?  Mine was also purchased at Costco and it works very well in my opinion. Still wanting a real BGE though
  • It does look almost identical to the vision. Its slightly larger and heavier. Vision, at least here in Orlando, have different models sold at Sams and Home Depot.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Sure beats the $1,200 BGE XL at my Sams Club without warranty 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Chillin@5 said:
    There's more competition than before with these types of cookers and every manufacturer has stepped up their game now that consumers know what to expect in terms of quality, form and function.

Consumers win in the end.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    It's all good boys. We're just all one big happy family of outdoor cooks. I love my BGE and KJJr. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I'm glad to see this as an option for people, at 600 I'd be happy to get one as a second cooker.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• I saw something similar at Home Depot and was surprised at the awesome look and design. Kinda funky but had an awesome image to the untrained eye or inexperienced cooker related to ceramic smokers.
    Austin, Tx
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    bgeaddikt said:
    I saw something similar at Home Depot and was surprised at the awesome look and design. Kinda funky but had an awesome image to the untrained eye or inexperienced cooker related to ceramic smokers.
    So it comes pre-broken? Is that a feature? 
  • Yes, standard on all models! Haha 
    Austin, Tx
  • yljkt
    bgeaddikt said:
    Yes, standard on all models! Haha 
    The chunk is on the right shelf and there's more debris in the ash drawer. Perfect. 
  • Looks like it has a penis.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks like it has a penis.

What were you looking down there for? 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited February 2016
    If something ever happens to my BGE I will be buying a Vision or whatever that is instead of another BGE as long as all my accessories will fit and work with it.  BGE should be ashamed that they dont offer all of the features of a Vision grill for 3 to 4 hundred dollars more. Love the BGE but the more I see of those Visions, the more I get pissed about not shopping around and falling for the big brand name.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    The ceramics look substantial, but with so many crooks, crannies, and thickness transitions, the opportunity for stress risers looks scary.  Is that a light right under the thermometer?  If so, that's a neat addition ... especially if it lights up the thermometer.

Don't like the thermometer ... too small, the entire cooking range is contained in a dial sweep of only half the face (the BGE dial is almost all the way around the face).

The band system looks interesting.  Stainless steel I hope and not simply chrome plated.  Looks like a molded in ceramic shelf to abut the top and bottom bands against.  The penis John mentions looks to be an alignment pin to force the top and bottom into alignment when the lid is closed.

The top vent looks easy to operate.  Looks almost like plastic ... must be an aluminum casting.

Over all?  Looks too gaudy for my taste.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    KingtUT said:
    If something ever happens to my BGE I will be buying a Vision or whatever that is instead of another BGE as long as all my accessories will fit and work with it.  BGE should be ashamed that they dont offer all of the features of a Vision grill for 3 to 4 hundred dollars more. Love the BGE but the more I see of those Visions, the more I get pissed about not shopping around and falling for the big brand name.

Where are you located? 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    The phallic piece is a shock absorber for the lid when it closes.

Lots of additional hardware with tha thing.  To much crap in my opinion.  I love my Eggs.  Give me a good solid cooker.  That is all I need.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • yljkt
    The metal "penis" sticking up is actually a small shock absorber so the lid doesn't slam shut according to the web site. Apparently these things can be had for $499.00 on sale. And it comes with alot of stuff. Hmmm...
  •  bgeaddikt said:
    That is quite the pro job on the gasket, eh?  What the heck happened there?  

Regardless, there are aspects of this thing that are interesting (that word again).  The Ash removal tray is intriguing, and it looks like there's a port for inserting a heating element?   

And I know the **** is a shock absorber, you clowns.  It was a joke.  A joke!  Sheesh. Though I can't wait until people complain about breaking their Vision Penises shock absorbers.  

But I agree with @Ozzie_Isaac - all of the corners are a concern.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Looks very intriguing in person, like a Mercedez of grills/smokers. Like a harley with 30 switches. My yamaha had ignition and lets go. In other words, if your picky and want everything detailed and purty, then get the vision. Not sure of the durability and response if something goes wrong from the company or cooking experience. But it did catch my eye
    Austin, Tx
  • Jeepster47
    edited February 2016
    It's a shock absorber?  Well move it to the negative column then ... geez.

• yljkt
     bgeaddikt said:
    That is quite the pro job on the gasket, eh?  What the heck happened there?  

Regardless, there are aspects of this thing that are interesting (that word again).  The Ash removal tray is intriguing, and it looks like there's a port for inserting a heating element?   

And I know the **** is a shock absorber, you clowns.  It was a joke.  A joke!  Sheesh. Though I can't wait until people complain about breaking their Vision Penises shock absorbers.  

But I agree with @Ozzie_Isaac - all of the corners are a concern.  
    Well the bottom of the grill is broken. Tough to seal with no ceramic under it lol....
  • Jeepster47
    yljkt said:

Well the bottom of the grill is broken. Tough to seal with no ceramic under it lol....
    @yljkt ... that's for the rod on the rotisserie ... no Joetisserie attachment needed.

• yljkt
    yljkt said:

@yljkt ... that's for the rod on the rotisserie ... no Joetisserie attachment needed.

Very innovative lol!
  • HeavyG
    Costco has a lot of regional variability in what is actually carried in each region/stores. Not sure if those Pit Boss kamados are going to appear nationwide or if this is a trial balloon in a few stores.

The thing that concerns me most about Costco stocking  some less known brand of kamado is if this will mean that they are going to no longer be hosting the Kamado Joe Roadshows.

Great pricing on Joes and lump at those. Would hate to see those go away.