Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mounting Egg in a bench

Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen some pics where eggs have been mounted in a bench like rig......[p]I`m just curious as to how the bottom of the Egg fits in......does it just "wedge" into the bottom of the bench or are there "cleats or feet" that the Egg sits in......
What about the top, what goes on up there......
Has anyone built one or have you just bought them from BGE????[p]Mop!!!

Comments

• Mop,
    If you go to the product information,and then product list.At the bottom of the page you'll see a link for tables,and then in the list of the tables you'll see a link for table details.Good luck

• Mop
    DirkR, thanks, I see now, there is not a hole cut in the bottom.....the base of the egg just sits on the lower shelf........I`m just wodering if you can get feet or cleats that will fit around the base to eliminate any shifting of the unit as I would think the lid is heavy enough to cause the unit to shift some when you open and close it......[p]Thanks Dirk...
    Mop.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    snowegg
    <p />Howdy Mop,
    Most of us use some kind of stone under the bottom of the egg, as it gets very hot during high temp cooks. I use a concrete paving stone. The circle cut in the table needs to be a bit larger that the diameter of the egg, as it will burn the wood at higher temps. I think I have heard of people constructing something to hold the egg from shifting, but opening and closing the lid won't nornmally cause it to shift. If it does, it is easy to nudge it back into place.[p]This is just what I have been doing.
    Have a great weekend.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Mop,
    The egg comes with a set of three feet. I have one of my eggs sitting on its feet on top of a fire proof concrete mat. The mat came from Lowes (stock number 117446). I have also seen the same product at other stores. Now the bottom shelf on my homemade table will not catch on fire. My table is about 1 inch smaller (front to back and side to side) than the BGE plans. I built it that way so that the table cover slips on and off a little eaiser. Best of luck with your table, and welcone to BGE family.
    Fireball

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />Mop,
    This is my set up and the EGGs are sitting on 2" concrete stepping stones. You can also use the 3 ceramic feet that came with your EGG. Do not allow the EGG to sit directly on the wood, that is asking for trouble.

• Mop
    Thank you all for responding.....I should point out at this time that I do not own a BGE as we speak......I ask these questions as part of my next smoker purchase.....As usual I reserch the life out of anything I`m considering to buy...this way when I get something I am usually not dissapointed with my purchase.....[p]Anywhoo!...so BGE does provide you with three feet then!...are they colour matched ceramic or no?
    Can you not just rest the Egg into the feet if they are mounted on the bottom shelf of the bench or is that STILL to close to the wood for the amout of heat generated??????
    Mop

• JJ
    Mop,
    They are color matched and yes you can rest the EGG just on the feet with no resulting problems.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Table1.jpg
    <p />Mop, appears the you have had some pretty godd advice so far - check out the link - if my FAQ section, there are a few sets of plans including some very detailed ones by the WiseOne - look towards the bottom of the page under table plans. Good luck!

[ul][li]Table Plans[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    minicorian.jpg
    <p />Mop,
    If you look close at the mini egg you can see the little green feet it's sitting on.
    YB

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Nature Boy, in case you plan to go ahead and cut a hole for your small here's an idea for consideration as it is what I did with great success. So both my large and my small would both be resting so that only the lid + 2" would be above the table top I constructed a wooden box if you will to sit the little one on to raise it. That box then was the carcass for a drawer to hold many tools and smaller eggessories. I used metal drawer slides. Email me if you have any questions as I even varmint proofed it from the inside with caulking and in order to make my drawer deeper, I used alumium flashing for the bottom inside of a board. PS don't just love it when somebody offers a suggestion when you NEVER even asked for one! 8^)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    YB,[p]That looks like an expensive storage locker to the right of your mini. Does it have any other uses?[p]Carl T

• Mop
    JJ, where did you get that red one.......thats not a BGE is it?
    Mop

• JJ
    Mop,
    That is a Kamado that BGE carried many years ago when they were then the Pachinko House. It is made of fire clay and the cracks occured when I allowed the temp to get beyond 350*. It is now known as my Rand McNally EGG. I still use it for low and slo and it does a great job.

• Mop, I built a very handy table for my large BGE modified from BGE's table plans. I oversized the table some to allow for 2nd egg in the future, but in the meantime, I use the extra space as a prep area. I built the framing out of pressure treated lumber but for the table top and shelf I used 1x4 mahogany fastened with stainless steel screws. The top can be used safely as a cutting board (don't let any food come into contact with the pressure treated), and I spaced the slats on the bottom shelf to allow for easy cleanout of the egg. Throw away those little green feet as soon as you open the box, they're useless. I set my egg direcly on the wood of the lower shelf and in over 2 years of service (both low & slow and high temp use) have yet to see the slightest sign of any charring of the wood, however, if you want to be on the safe side, I would suggest a round paving stone as some of the photo's have shown. Good luck.
  • Mop
    TOROLNSTND,Thanks Dude.....Is the bottom of the egg coated with enamel or raw ceramic?
    Those little feet I though would have been the cats arse to put the bottom of the egg on?.....
    Is there anyway you can post a pic of your setup?[p]Mop

• Mop,[p] My table can be seen in my visitor profile:[p]MikeO's Profile[p]Variations are apparently infinite . . .[p]MikeO
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RRP,
    Dang...just now saw your post! Thanks for the ideas. I will be building a new table on a small patio on the side of the garage.... with a roll-out awning 10 feet over the patio. Hope to have a lot of work space. Maybe even tiled like JJ's if I get ambitious. Good idea about the varmit proofing. That grease smells shweet to them critters. The drawers would be awesome also. What us the flashing for?[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ