Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - No longer will anyone on this forum confuse CGW and CGS again

Options
Nice guy, and I wish him all the best in his future endeavors. 

The Time Has Come
To all of our local customers.

I apologize for the short notice but I received the news this morning 2/26/16.  It is with an extremely heavy heart and sadness that I write this email.  Effective March 1st 2016 the door to Ceramic Grillworks will be closed.    If you are able please come by tomorrow for one last visit 2/27/16 to say hi or goodbye and stock up on some products.

It isn't very often that you hear people say "I really love my job" and when you do you always question how true that statement really is. 

6 years ago I stumbled into this business, a business that stemmed from a hobby that turned into a passion that led to Ceramic Grillworks, and I can truly tell you with conviction that I loved what I did.  I've met some interesting people on this journey, most of you it was a one and done, some of you I've seen occasionally and a few of you I can now call close personal friends.

Regardless of a one time shopper or frequent visitor, I would like to thank all of you for allowing me to assist you in your purchase of your ceramic grill and for supporting my business.  Only time will tell if our paths will ever cross again, but until then may your fires never go out.

Best Wishes
Franco
Ceramic Grillworks
Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Never have been a small business owner but I hate to see small businesses go under.  That said, regrettably, the hand-writing for this has been around for a while.  That doesn't make it any easier for those directly impacted.
    I do wish him and his fellow employees well and hope they land on their feet soon.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    See he does respond to folks' issues with product problems. So to the two tier CGW haters and the ones waiting "on the free replacement  don't hold your breath. News flash businesses don't just magically dissolve. Responding to customers wants & needs is paramount. Pissing off forum members probably isn't great advertising in this tight knit community either. How about we play a game ....List all the thread links praising CGW
    ....List all the thread links with poor customer service and problematic product 
    Let's see which one outweighs the other. 
    And....go
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Guess my XL replacement 2 tier swing rack will never come now.  Ha!  (I wasn't holding my breath after at least 2 years of waiting).  Like has been stated, I hate to see small businesses close but I can understand why this particular business is closing from first hand experience.
    XL BGE
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I love my swing rack that I purchased for my LBGE....

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    My thoughts are that Franco was put into a bad spot between his supplier (manufacturer) and his customer base. Small business owners cannot afford a big financial hit with faulty production. He had a good idea that now other manufactures are running/producing. variance of this idea (typical in the market place). Fabricators simply look at these types of production runs as more of a nuisance than anything else, they no doubt left no wiggle room for him to recover. This is simply my opinion from my view in general.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I like his farewell statement.  Hopefully he takes some lessons learned from this and excels next time.  Can't leave customers hanging.

Phoenix 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I like my 2 tier swing rack on my small.  Its a good product.  I know there were issues with the XL version, but the small version is nice.
    Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I guess all the issues were a hoax then. My bad. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac Ya exactly :grin: 
    But, honestly I kinda wanted the two tier for the LG & MM awhile back until the warping with high heat issue surfaced and then the lack of customer service in many cases.  The idea of it is cool. I'm sure it became overwhelming for him. And agree...it's sad he's lost his business. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Hopefully he lands on his feet and learns from it. And who knows perhaps he'll come back better with new products. I'm not opposed to second chances. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good idea, but poor implementation and quality control.

Add that to dodgy customer service in todays landscape and you are in for trouble.

Seems most business owners take a few times to get it right.  Hopefully, Franco takes these hard learned lessons and starts a better company.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I don't wish failure on anyone.  Pretty sad.  I wish him the best in the future.
  • scaryangel
    Options
    Sounds like some people had problems with their swing racks.  I love my large two tiered swing rack. I use it for most cooks. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Glad he failed seemed like a POS. I remember when he had told a poster here he couldn't fill the warranty claim for their large rack that warped because they were out of stock then like 2 days later someone posted a picture of their new rack they just received. Glad they weren't around when I was buying all my accessories.
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    Bought a 2 tiered swing rack as a present for someone and wanted to get one for myself and never got the chance. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    So is CGW back and open for business??? :confused: I do like the two tier "concept" design. 

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    So is CGW back and open for business??? :confused: I do like the two tier "concept" design. 

I don't believe he ever had an issue taking money for an order.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options

How I read "By Appointment Only" = running it out of the garage (no longer a retail location). No question that retail is tough business with all the "show-rooming" and Amazon Prime/online discounting. Maybe he's still trying to right the ship.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!