Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

170 vs 185

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
Fist timer. Notice many of you pull your turkey off the fire at as little as 170 degrees. Notice too that most info (like BGE manual) calls for at least 180. Would really appreciate what you all think and why. (Would hate to kill my Thanksgving guests--and me too for that matter!)

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Roy Wilson,
    You should use the manual as the firestarter for the first fire you lite. After that chack here for the correct answers. 180 is too high to pull it off. Pulling it at 165 and letting it rest up to 170 is the goal(or atleast mine). It will usually rise a little as it rests. I did a bird to 178 once and it was still quite juicy so the temp after rest should be 168-180 I guess.[p]Tim

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Tim M,
    I only do my birds at 250-300. I pull them out at 160 degrees breast temp. Because the bird was done at lower temps, I've never had any problems due to cold regions left raw or undercooked. Overall, the bird (this year a 20lb free range turkey) is more moist than any I've ever had! 175-180 is way to long in my opinion.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Huck,[p]I agree, but I know others like things I don't and some may like a firmer piece of meat and 175- 180 would yield that. I just pulled my 2 6 lb'ers at 162 deg and while resting the temps went to 168. Perfect![p]Tim
  • Charly
    Charly Posts: 23
    Options
    Roy Wilson,
    I agree with Tim,chunk the BGE manual.It specifies to put the thermometer in either the thigh or breast and pull when the temp reaches 180.Personally,I have had great results measuring in the breast and removing at around 160.We usually let it rest for a least 30 minutes and have yet been disappointed.I hope that helps.

• Roy Wilson,
    I used the BGEGG Forum, and compromised at 165, with thermometer in breast. It was awesome. The juice was running off of the cutting board, and we had to carve over the sink! I didn't get the skin quite browned enough for picture quality, but I had a near riot on my hands from my guests that wanted to eat! [p]Thank you FORUM!!!!