Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snowy Egg

Tim M
Tim M Posts: 2,410
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
snowegg.jpg
<p />I had to update my snow-egg picture. This is the first "real" snow since 1996 and I am loving this. I still paln to cook 2 racks of ribs on this large green guy in 3 hours. They say we could get 10-12 inches by dark so we'll test Humptey in the snow tonight. How about you NB - you OK up there? Spin, it must be coming your way too.[p]Tim

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Tim M,[p]It started snowing around 1:30AM. It changed over to hail about two hours ago. Eight inches of snow. I'm getting ready to make some wings in celebration of having a "snow" day![p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Stylin and smylin. Dropped off the kids at my mother in law's in Chantilly. They can play with their neices and nephews. The drive over there was a blast!! I love driving in the snow.[p]I can't measure cuz it's blowin, but at least 8 inches now, and still coming down. I too plan on getting humpty senior cranking tonight. Pork chops and chicken.[p]Have fun with the ribs! This is what I call prime Qing weather. Something appealing about being the only person in a 60 mile radius who is cooking outside. I guess you are 61 miles away from me!! [p]Who else is performing foul weather cooking???[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Spin,
    Yaba Daba Dooo! Smoke rises through the snow up and down the east!![p]You mean sleet I hope??? If it is hail, you might just hear some thunder! Enjoy the cooking, Nanook.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Tim M,[p]Ya'll just keep that stuff up there and don't even think about sending it down our way :~) We have just thawed out from the ice storm and today is a heat wave. Sunny skies and 35* outside at this time. Snow and sleet is in our forecast over the next few days so I'm going to get my air conditioner checked as they are seldom if ever right in their predictions anymore.[p]As for outdoor cooking, I think I'm going to stay inside by the fireplace for a few more days and just eat out. I know, I know, Bob is a wuss you're thinking but, at least he is a warm wuss :~)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Nature Boy, I am basking in sunshine and puffy clouds and temperatures of 28 degrees F..."Daves Marinate" marinated P-Chops tonight under my 500 watt halogen lamp on the patio. Your stuff is heading our way this weekend. :-([p]C~W[p]
  • Grumpa
    Char-Woody,[p]Dang ole buddy, 17 seconds that time. Watch where you're going :~)

• Nature Boy
    Char-Woody,
    I doubt our stuff is gonna come your way! There is a bunch of moisture and instability in the west now. Is that what you are expecting?? If it is, look out! That radar looks nasty in both the extreme west and extreme east now.[p]What is "Daves Marinate"??[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Tim M,[p]Great picture Tim, kinda makes me miss the snow. NOT. Last night here in S. IL we had a balmy 10 degrees with about a 30 mile an hour wind, nice and brisk. Well, I fired up the egg (no snow to knock off like you have) and grilled some chicken. Not much but just enough to cut the BGE craving for a few days. I have plans to do a low and slow Boston Butt (pulled pork, here I come) this weekend and if time permits, maybe some beef jerkey. Knock the snow off of that puppy and get after it. Happy cooking and if the forecasts hold true, that low and slow butt and the jerkey will be done in 10 degree weather as well, we'll have to see how good the weather men are.[p]Troy
  • Ed G.
    Ed G. Posts: 24
    Tim M,
    Sorry guy's... couldn't pass this one up, I too plan to smoke ribs today, because the weather is 74 here in So. Ca. I'm glad I live so far away so you can't throw snow balls at me.[p]Truthfully, it sounds like a blast smoking in all that great snow and fresh cold air. Your the lucky one's!!!!

• Char-Woody
    Nature Boy, [p]I blew it again..It says on the bottle "refrigerate after opening" but I took it out of the fridge just for you. Heeeee. [p]Substitute a L for the V in Dave and it comes out "Dale's Steak Seasonings" and good also for pork and fish!! The Lone Ranger1 sent me a sample to try out.. I retaliated and sent him some of JCA's disappearing mustard.
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Ed G.,
    My wife is in San Diego visiting her sister for 2 weeks. Are you near there? She said it was a bit cloudy, and I understand the rain is not too far north of you today! Amazing how southern Cal tends to duck from under those weather systems coming off the ocean!! We will be thinking about you in that balmy weather while the snow swirls around our smoking eggs!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Bob, Dang if I didn't smell "smoke" a awhile ago..:-) That was close!!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bob,
    I got 5 inches at my house last night,150 miles east of you.
    YB

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Tim M,
    Sorry to disappoint but after 3 winters in Duluth MN a few years ago, I think the only function of frozen water is in a beer chest or chilling some Canadian whiskey.[p]Great picture though.[p]JimW

• Grumpa
    YB,[p]Glad I live 150 miles to the west then hehe. [p]Seriously, I'd rather have the snow than the ice anyday. I'll bet 5 inches made for a pretty setting. I wonder if Bryan is cooking under his roof?

• YB
    Bob,
    My brother lives in Duluth and got hit pretty hard with the ice storm also,i hope things get cleaned up quick for you guys.
    YB

• Ed G.
    Ed G. Posts: 24
    Nature Boy,
    I'm in Newport Beach, 60 miles north from S.D. and its a little cooler down there. True, we are expecting rain but that's not standing in the way of me and Mr Egg. He's rarin to go! [p]Enjoy your day with your egg too!!!!![p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Tim M,
    No snow here just a bit cool. Down to 25* tonight, but burgers on the small.

• Tim M
    snowegg2.jpg
    <p />Ed G.,[p]Well you better toss yours on - I just did. Here I am with my winter grilling tools - a shovel!! 11" of snow and they say 2-3 more to come. It don't get much better than this - wish I had a PBR.[p]Tim
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Tim M,
    Mint Julep is what you need.

• YB
    Tim M,
    That looks great,wish i was there.
    YB

• Tim M,[p]Are you gonna flip those ribs with that thing?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]I stand corrected. No thunder at all:). Everything is developing a decent coating of ice. I unpacked the kerosene heater, power is flickering :{.[p]Spin

• Tim M
    JJ,[p]You know - that does sound good. I happen to have a little simple sugar & mint in the frig. I sure did learn something at Eggtoberfest! Thank you for teaching![p]Tim
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Tim M,[p]I had a "snow day" today, too, here in NJ. I didn't have to go to work or grad school. Smokin' Todd and I are sitting around having "a few" and are getting ready to cook some burgers and sausages.[p]Life is definitely good.[p]Cornfed
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, I'm surprised that you have time to take pictures of the egg - or have you already had your jeep out playing in the snow?

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    Bob,
    Didn't get to cook last night. Got home too late. But snow slid off the roof just fine and not nary a flake on the Eggster. It was pretty out though.[p]Bryan

• Grumpa
    Bryan,[p]You have got to visit us here more often! Great to hear from you and that the roof worked out in the snow. It's starting to flurry here and I have a butt in the egg at this time and all is well under my roof. You need to get some smoke blowing accross that snow, of course that would probably just draw the neighbors over, huh?[p]Stay warm over there!

• Tim M
    Gfw,
    Are you kidding? I have been out 3 times today - pulled one lady off the road too. Yehawww as Nature Boy would say - I have had fun and had ribs. Man - it don't get much better. I also found www.wine.com -- yehawww, wine online - dang good day!!!![p]Tim

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Tim M,[p]We dont have all the snow you do, but we have he cold up here in Louisville, KY. It is supposed to be 6 tonight with a wind chill of 20 below zero.[p]Tonight we did steaks in the egg. We sold smoked/thawed them first. We had a minor mishap wirth that as the egg got too hot and stayed hot thus cooking the filts as it thawed them. This occured because my 13 year old dog got lost in the neighborhood and we neglected the egg and meat as we searched for him. He got found and all is well. The steaks got a bit over done, but the scallp stuffing and the blue cheese topping saved them.[p]Anyway, egged food during the dead of winter is a wonderful thing. Dont let the elements stop you , folks. The BGE can handle it, and even a mistake in the egg is better than most anything indoors.[p]Fritz