Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGGcellent Breakfast

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
Sadly the last time I was on the forum was last July. Had to put life on hold for 6 months, but am back using my Eggs now. This was a breakfast I made President's Day when the air temps were -9F. I really can't imagine doing it on any other kind of grill but a kamado. I made two recipes from Chris Grove's The Kamado Smoker & Grill Cookbook: Grilled Stuffed French Toast and Classic Breakfast Fatty. I used one Egg under the control on my CyberQ WiFi to smoke the fatty at 225 for several hours. On a cold day like this I really appreciated the pit controllers. All I had to do was fire up the Egg for the fatty, let the CyberQ get it to temp, add the fatty and then monitor things from the warmth of the Kitchen-3 trips total out to that Egg. I used my DigiQ on the Egg I was griddle grilling the French toast on. I clipped the temp probe to the back edge to the CI griddle grate and it go the Egg warmed up for me. 3 trips here too: Light it, grill batch 1, grill batch 2. Onto the pictures:

The one pound Italian sausage fatty was rubbed with Dizzy Pig Raging River spice rub and went on the Egg which had been stabilized at 225. The entire cook from start to finish was under control of the CyberQ WiFi. I used the CyberCook software to monitor things from the warmth of my Kitchen on my iPad & iPhone.

The Italian bread was cut lengthwise, but not through. The filling was made from Cream Cheese, marscapone cheese and confectioners sugar. The bread was brushed on both faces with the cheese mixture. It was brushed on one side with raspberry jam.

The custard for the French toast used: Vanilla extract, cinnamon, eggs, Kosher salt and milk. The bread was sliced into 1 1/2" wide pieces and the cut end was pinned shut with a bamboo skewer. The slices were then dipped in the custard.

The DigiQ had the Egg had been stabilized at 375 by the DigiQ. YIf you look carefully you can see the clip for the pit temperature probe attached to the back off the griddle grate. The French toast was griddle about two minutes per side until done.

The fatty has reached an internal temp of 170 and is done. It was pulled and rested for 5 minutes before slicing.

Time to eat11 I am embarrassed to say this was my first fatty and I regret being this late to the party. It was moist and had great flavor from the sausage and smoke. The outside was crispy and had great flavor from the rub. The French toast was as good as any I have had. The cheese and raspberry really put it over the top.

So a hearty breakfast on a bitter cold day. As I mentioned I can't imagine pulling this off as easily (or at all) on any other type grill but a kamado.

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments