Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for 40 on a small??

Options
Any conceivable ideas of something I can cook on Small for a group of 40 people? Even an appetizer. My wife signed me up at a potluck and said if bring the egg which is usually fun, but geez that is a lot of people. 
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Standing by to see this. 
    Phoenix 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Do you have an adjustable rig or another way of doing multiple levels? 

Maybe be something like fajitas, roast chicken made into something?

Greensboro, NC
  • C130
    C130 Posts: 56
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Looks like a good excuse to get a large :bawling: 
    Scott
    Magnolia, TX
    LBGE
    Mini Max
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Pulled pork - ? make sliders and cut them in half?. 

Or a series of pizzas.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Pulled pork empanadas. Raised direct you can probably jam 8-10 on a small and probably like. 6-8 minute cook time. Get the frozen Goya ones and you can make 40 if you have pork available in under an hour.
  • outrageous
    Options
    I have cooked 6 pork tenderloins on my small. Just stack on top and keep them rotated. Slice and serve on small rolls with different sauce.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Pulled pork on kings hawaiian rolls. 

Little Rock, AR

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You could do pita bread pizzas so you don't have to mess with dough. Just melt the cheese! They will come off quick.

You could probably Wok up plenty for 40 on site.

If you have a Sous Vide that will open a TON of options up.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Start a couple of days ahead and have a good microwave.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    DON'T DO IT
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Put the small by a Lang Stick Burner
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pick a dish with a grilled or smoked ingredient that you can assemble with non-grilled/egged ingredients that ramps up to 40 people.  Or buy a $45 steel grill.
    I'll be watching this post, like the idea of pork tenderloins. Or maybe do something with those small little appy size weeniers, and some kind of dipping sauce.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You can do Cuban sandwich stuffed pickles. It's a crap ton of work but worth it. Do all the prep work beforehand and you can cook the 40+ pickles there. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    If I'm reading your post right, you plan on taking the Egg somewhere to cook?  Poppers or the Pita Pizzas Grim suggested.  

On second thought this looks like the perfect opportunity to pick up a large. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken. Remove meat. Make chicken salad. Serve on Kings Hawaiin rolls.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Location, location, location.....you need more real estate.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Rambo
    Rambo Posts: 43
    Options
    Maybe call on The Lord... He's been known to feed thousands with a couple fish and bread. 

I Love Animals. They Taste Great. 

Large Green Egg - Traeger Texas Pro - Weber kettle Grill for life.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Start with a Jumbo Joe.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Smoke a bunch of naked fatties the day before. Take them whole and cold with you. Cut them in half inch segments and grill them hot and fast back to temp like little burgers. Then serve on Hawaiian rolls with a touch of sauce and maybe some cheese melted on them during the grilling. You could do all kinds of toppings if you wanted to get creative.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    A few ideas: 1) a pork shoulder and then shred and make mini tacos 2) grill up some italian sausages, brats or polish sausages and slice cooked sausages diagonally, you can get four good sized pieces from each link.  Make mini sliders or just serve them over kraut for the polish and brats and over roasted green peppers with the italians. 3) get the raised grid and youll work in batches but chicken wings rolled in baking powder courtesy of this site is always a hit 4) get the two packs of pork backstrap tenderloins, soak in soy, molasses, green onion and hoisin sauce for twondays, roast six of them, slice up amd serve over a bed of rice or rice vinegar dressed kale and watch your guests go crazy and lastly: 5) mini gyro sticks.  You blend lamb and beef in food processor, add garlic, evoo, oregano, salt and pepper, go light on spices.   Form the paste around thick skewers and serve grilled ones over a bed of dark lettuce, sliced tomato, onion, black greek olives, cucumbers and feta.  Add some plain yogurt too.  Its more involved but i did this three timea and it never failed to be a hit

Good luck

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Quesadillas are an option. Make everything ahead of time and just slap it on the grill to get some marks and melt cheese. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We did pulled pork with smoked Gouda using Carolina mustard sauce and sweet spicy sweet pickles on Hawaiian rolls for an event. We made about 60 or them. It was a pre super bowl party, there were about 100 or so folks in attendance, Everybody brought something. Our's were gone in ten minutes after final load taken from the grill. Cook and prep them the day before, then at the function, put them on indirect to melt the cheese, pull and serve. Killer. Did mine on a MM loaded 8 at a time, really could have done 10, but I had already prepped. 3-4 mins at 300F is all you need. 1 hour tops for total cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Find a small muffin tin that you could make fit or cut to fit. Then you can do wontons in those
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would prep a bunch of KA-BOBS ahead of time in throw away tupperware containers. Find some of the smaller skewers or cut the longer ones in half with a cleaver at an angle to keep a point.
    You don't need much on each skewer.
    Do some chicken and do some veggie for the tree hungers.lol
    I see your in Texas. Hit Krogers and get a couple flat iron steaks.
    Cut them across the grain into strips. They are excellent cooked this way...
    Marinate in some ginger teriyaki bottle sauce for beef and chicken and some basic balsamic or Italian dressing for the veggies.
    Squash, zucchini and mushrooms are good for veggies.
    If you have them all prepped and skewed ahead of time you will be the hit of the party. 
    Cook them hot and fast. This way you can cook and visit and still enjoy the party.

Another easy option is grilled veggies. I like to use a basket for large amounts.
    I do marinated mushrooms first, added the zucchini, squash and cooked a little longer, then added the asparagus last because it was thin. larger asparagus can be cut in half to cook faster and better fit basket. Veggies just had olive oil, salt and pepper.

Good luck but have fun...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    quick cooks like beef teriyaki and pineapple skewers, teriyaki on a stick takes a minute on a hot grill. just have everything marinated ahead of time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    green lightning shrimp is quick and good too, skip the skewers and get a grill basket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Keep it simple. Throw on a bunch of hot dogs with some smoke for flavor. Quick, cheap and easy........
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    How about Kristi's Chicken Bombs?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX