Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Haters

Options
It seems like everybody who doesn't have a BGE are haters when I post food or actually smoke products for them. They all say that I cheat cause I use a BGE and its basiclly a oven. I always get " you don't stand by the fire all night to monitor the heat" line. What a bunch of crap. Sorry just venting. 

Comments

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    I'm a transplant from Oregon living in south Texas,around here everyone has the same big steel type bbq pit.until I bought my large egg a year ago I never smoked anything in my life,a few of my friends have ate what comes off the egg and all agree it's as good as anything they can do on there big steel pits.and I don't have to slave over the pit for hours on end.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    It's just envy! I hate to be so direct to the point but it really is. I know exactly how you feel because I also get comments along the lines of "all you do is just put it on the grill and the BGE does the rest" or "it's just because you use charcoal" amongst many others and my favourite "it's the BBQ and not you, you just flip it a couple of times"

Its the fact that you invest so much time and make it look easy, yes the egg does help but it is easier to screw up on the egg if you have no idea what you are doing.

I know when I go to their house they don't attempt to cook on the BBQ or if they do they make sure they get my opinion no matter what it is.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Yeah, great food in an efficient manner with less hassle. You are such a moron (-:
    Stillwater, MN
  • schafe98
    Options
    That's just the jealousy talkin' man.
    Vacaville, CA

LBGE, Weber Summit, UDS, Weber Classic, Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited February 2016
    Options

Another thing that gets brought up is that it's a lot of extra work and time to get the lump going. Then when you tell them is just a few minutes to fire it up and by the time you finish any food prep work its ready to go, they have another reason to hate the Egg.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    AG6 said:
    It seems like everybody who doesn't have a BGE are haters when I post food or actually smoke products for them. They all say that I cheat cause I use a BGE and its basiclly a oven. I always get " you don't stand by the fire all night to monitor the heat" line. What a bunch of crap. Sorry just venting. 
    Interesting, I've never had a non-egger throw negative comments at me about my BGE.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I haven't either.  But bbq doesn't have the same Johnson swinging culture here in new Orleans as, say, Texas.
    Options
    I haven't either.  But bbq doesn't have the same Johnson swinging culture here in new Orleans as, say, Texas.

I've had a few Texans accuse me of cheating before but all of their arguments are very thin.  I chuckle in their general direction.

And an egg can't stand up to a real TX draft smoker, but that's not what these backyard BBQ yahoos are using, which is why it's funny.  By definition, if you have to tend the fire all night, you're not producing consistent heat/smoke.
    NOLA
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Remember this: the food either tastes good or it doesn't. Everything else is just posturing.
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    There's an old saying, "Work smarter not harder." We're just the smarter ones. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Must be a regional thing like you say. I've not run into many folks in my area that dis the Egg/kamados. Some good natured ribbing amongst the various aficionados of different cooker types but no "haters".

What I've found more annoying are the folks that think the Egg is the ne plus ultra of kamados or other types of outdoor cookers.

If folks think Eggs are pricey and "the best" they haven't seen Komodo Kamados.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    cajunrph said:
    There's an old saying, "Work smarter not harder." We're just the smarter ones. 
    But saying that makes you just like them. I have multiple eggs and still use them but if I have time my vertical run as a stick burner produces better results than the egg. I have to add 1 small split an hour and there is no fussing with vents it stays wide open all the time. I can also cook 20 racks of ribs for probably $2 worth of wood and get a consistent smoke ring every time. It takes maybe a minute an hour to open the door and put a piece of wood on top. Like someone said above the egg is good at most things but not the best at any. Not bashing eggs at all they put out good BBQ but there are other options out there.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a neighbor who sells Bubba Keg at his place of business. He referees to my egg(s) as inferior cookers. He hasn't turned down any vitals while over as yet.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    There is a very simple remedy for these types of people: stop sharing your cue with them.  
    John is on to something here.  I would do this or slap the rib out of their mouth on the ones sampling the cue.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    You would think I cheated on my wife around here. Since getting the shirley I keep getting concerned questions like "Well what about the Green Eggs"  "You aren't going to forget about your eggs are you"  "You'll only use that thing when you are doing BIG cooks, right?"

What's funny about the OP is that most smokers are as set and forget as Green Eggs. Pretty much every single cooker outside of stick burners has just as much set and forget (or fan control) as a green egg. All the insulated verticals, hell if you know how to set it up, you can get 8 hours on a weber kettle!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jonnymack
    Options
    Yeah if someone complained about my BGE then they can feel free to not eat my food. And they can get the hell out of my house.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I thought this was a post about BGE owners who hated other types of cookers.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Gotta admit that I have not gotten any negative comments.  Everyone enjoys the output and is appreciative of the chance to consume whatever offered.
    Of course, Q is not the holy grail in these parts.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    I think the "haters" come in with all hobbies where people buy their toys......BGE's are expensive and most regular cookers look at buyers of something like that and wonder what it is we see in that product to make us pay that much more for something than they are willing.  Because they dont necessarily see it they try to dismiss it.  the other side of that coin is people who would love to own an egg and are not in a financial position to own one and they lash out because of their frustration.  

it's no different than if you play music and you see people react to others playing and owning Les Paul's.

of fishermen buying GLoomis rods instead of something more common and cheaper.

women buying Kate Spade purses.

running into haters is something that is never going to go away completely....it's not a new concept but you have to realize that it's because you own a highly sought after expensive brand.  it comes with the territory.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Everyone is fascinated with my BGE and they ask lots of questions about it. All good, no haters except for my stbxw but then she hates anything that might bring me happiness..... 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    No haters for me either.  Just those that are pissed I didn't bring enough.  Lol.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2016
    Options

I had a guy rip on me about my egg, on an ATV/outdoor site I frequent. He had a Vision Kamado cooker. They are a decent product but not the egg by comparison.

Others chimed in saying the egg is the Cadillac of the Kamados, while other Vision owners talked about the various concerns with them, ie having to duct tape the ash basket cause it causes extra air flow etc.

He still was pissed at me about it. He bashed all my posts when I was making BBQ, sausages, meat sticks, bacon. I don't know why he was so mad at me. Ive never met the guy.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have helped my brother in law do BBQ competitions and he uses a large smoker and a UDS that he likes to use just briquettes for a fuel source and then add wood chunks like I do with my egg.  He has done quite well and got a grand reserve with it last year.  The food was great I had off of it, but not really much better then what I have made before on the egg.  I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain and have done a 10+ brisket cook on it and didn't have to do much to it after I got it going.  The egg makes things easier, but like others have said. there are a lot of smokers/cookers out there that are set it and forget it, like pellet smokers or electric smokers.  Of course some of the best BBQ I have had come from the old stick burning stand alone pits that have been seasoned over the years.    I would love to have a larger smoker, but can't justify it tell I have a need for it.

If they don't like it, don't share your food with them and if you like it, that's all that matters.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

BBQ isn't much of a thing here in phoenix or where I came from.  In fact, nobody I know even owns a smoker of any sort.

Phoenix