Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Pure Charcoal OT

Options

If you don't like RO you could always give this a try.

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/crcolapure4

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Yeah but for the price of a whole bag of RO you would only get one piece of that charcoal.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Yeah but for the price of a whole bag of RO you would only get one piece of that charcoal.

Plus the Royal Oak comes with stones. Buy enough bags and you can build your own kiln and save even more money.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

If you don't like RO you could always give this a try.

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/crcolapure4

Wow. That's pretty interesting. I love how Japanese culture makes every job a passion for perfection.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Cool process- would be interested to hear @stlcharcoal take on this one

why don't we typically see this level of carbonization in production charcoal in the US? I assume one main difference in the process is we use wood scraps?
    Greensboro, NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That was oddly satisfying to watch.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    @stlcharcoal   Enlighten us further on this topic. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Three letters.........   E     P    A    (or DNR)   See the smoke?  That's why.

Also, see the one guy have to monitor & adjust that little kiln for four days to end up with *maybe* a pallet's worth of charcoal??  You're looking at hundreds of dollars a bag easy for that small of a load because of the manual labor involved.  No loaders, conveyors, afterburners, manifolds, workman's comp insurance, government oversight, etc in that hut.

Cool stuff, but it would be ungodly expensive to produce here in any kind of quantity.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @stlcharcoal ... would you guess that this true Binchotan or the Royal Oak of Binchotan?

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Style-Charcoal-Bincho-Zumi/dp/B00131T8BC

Not a bad price ... $230 for 20 pounds ... with free shipping.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I draw the line at $10/lb
  • Mikee
    Options

That is Japanese Style not the real thing.

Try this website. Under $8 a pound. http://korin.com/Grillware_2/binchotan_accessories_2

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @Mikee ... you forgot to add in $24.74 shipping and handling for a box.  But, even with that, it is under @theyolksonyou 's price point of less than $10 a pound.

• Mikee
    Options

@jeepster47 This price was not even close to my range for lump so I didn't bother to check the shipping cost. They are located in NY. Shipping/handling cost to PA is $18.53.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I draw the line at $10/lb
    that seems reasonable.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Also, see the one guy have to monitor & adjust that little kiln for four days to end up with *maybe* a pallet's worth of charcoal??  You're looking at hundreds of dollars a bag easy for that small of a load because of the manual labor involved.  No loaders, conveyors, afterburners, manifolds, workman's comp insurance, government oversight, etc in that hut.

Cool stuff, but it would be ungodly expensive to produce here in any kind of quantity.
    So you make charcoal without smoke?  Do EPA regulations actually prevent you from removing all the VOCs from charcoal?  Do tell!!!

Seriously, we have technology.
    Options

So you make charcoal without smoke?  Do EPA regulations actually prevent you from removing all the VOCs from charcoal?  Do tell!!!

I'd be very surprised if Japan has significantly different environmental rules than the US.

Given how densely populated most of the country is I'd actually be surprised if they weren't more stringent in many areas.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @HeavyG ... you'd be surprised then. 

As pertains to personal space ... the person, the house, auto, street in front ... they were, on average, head and shoulders ahead of the States for cleanliness and order.  Never saw a Bubba house with yard cars and a washing machine on the front porch.  But, as to the government enacting stringent California style regs ... not apparent from the environmental conditions we saw on a daily basis.

Although the image of Japan is one of over crowding, once you get away from the rail lines, most of the countryside is not that populated.  It would be easy to set up a small kiln type operation with few complaints from the neighbors.  And, because of the long tradition of charcoal cooking and heating in the home, much would be overlooked.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

You can't release any white smoke / particulate when kilning.  The smoke has to be burned above 1570F.  This constant pull on the kiln causes it to burn faster.  You can't slow burn like they're doing.  Plus with that hot burn at the end, they are sacrificing a ton of charcoal to get the rest like that (burning  charcoal to make charcoal).

Not saying you *couldn't* do it here at all, but it wouldn't be able to do it in any kind of volume nor for any less of a price point.  This would have to be a backyard, low volume production by someone that definitely wasn't trying to make a living producing it. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    @HeavyG ... you'd be surprised then. 

As pertains to personal space ... the person, the house, auto, street in front ... they were, on average, head and shoulders ahead of the States for cleanliness and order.  Never saw a Bubba house with yard cars and a washing machine on the front porch.  But, as to the government enacting stringent California style regs ... not apparent from the environmental conditions we saw on a daily basis.

Although the image of Japan is one of over crowding, once you get away from the rail lines, most of the countryside is not that populated.  It would be easy to set up a small kiln type operation with few complaints from the neighbors.  And, because of the long tradition of charcoal cooking and heating in the home, much would be overlooked.
    I lived in Japan for four years so I'm quite familiar with the country.

Yes, much of the country is fairly rural and the population density isn't all that high in many parts. Even so, Japan is a fairly compact country that is smaller in area than California yet has about 3+ times the population of Cali. So, there is Japan rural and there is US rural. :)

I would agree that given Japan's reverence for traditional skills/activities that binchotan production would likely get a pass from most emissions rules.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @HeavyG ... where in Japan?

• HeavyG
    Options
    @HeavyG ... where in Japan?
    Mostly around Atsugi & Sagamihara.

• HeavyG
    Options
    While reading about something else today I took a tangent and came across this Aussie fellow whose hobby is using primitive technology - https://primitivetechnology.wordpress.com/

He posted a video a few days ago showing the making of charcoal that was very interesting and quite simple:

https://youtu.be/GzLvqCTvOQY

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pretty cool clip! @HeavyG He's lucky he's not trying to market that stuff...some folks in this crowd would bi+ch and moan that the pieces were too small. :lol: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Oh oh, I know what @Carolina Q will be doing tomorrow!

Neat video ... the carbon content sounded quite high.  I wouldn't have guessed that his process would have yielded such good lump.

Japan ... looks like you lived in the city.  We were country bumpkins.  Lived in Tarumi-Ku about 15km west-south-west of Kobe along Osaka Bay.