Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Reheated

Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I may have to cook a couple 'o butts ahead of time for an event this Saturday. If I cook it ahead of time, what is the preferred procedure in terms of storing and reheating it at the event site? Does the pork dry out? Do you need to add liquid before serving, etc?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    meinbmw,
    The one time I did this, I put the pulled pork in foil pans, covered with foil, and put in the fridge about 9:30 am. The wife (yes, the wife who dropped 2 cell phones into porta potties in 8 days, lol) then at 5:30 pm popped the trays into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and said everything turned out great.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    meinbmw,[p] If I am cooking ahead I usually pull it, sauce it and put it Gallon sized Zip Lock or better yet Gallon Sized Vacuum Bags.[p] The later allows you to warm them up by boiling the bag. The former can be boiled but it must be done with great care. Steaming either bag will work great too. Don't have a steamer big enough. Use a large pot and collander. Put the bag in the Collander, the collander sits in the pot and cover it with the pots lid. Viola' instant steamer.[p] All else fails Nuke'em..
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    meinbmw, call me the Coca-Cola guy but I have had great luck using a crock pot with say 3 to 4 pounds of cold pulled pork and pour in one 12 oz can of regular Coca-Cola. It can't be the diet stuff, nor any flavored Coke and heaven fordid NEVER pepsi!!! It sounds strange so don't tell your guests but be prepared to accept the accolades. There is no after-taste it just simply works wonders. Then offer sauce on the side.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    RRP,
    DUH!!![p]Crockpot!!! Why did I not think of that. Brain farts happen when you get old I guess.[p]Thanks for the tip RRP.