Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to wait before starting the cook

Options
I was reading well know BGE cook book and they state; "Allow the fire to burn for at least 7 hours before grilling."
7 hours really. (This is for a Pulled Pork) I know I usually don't wait long enough but 7 hours, I could be almost done cooking. Please advise. Love learning.

Just made a a Grilled Chipotle Chicken with mango salsa and a White BBQ sauce. Might be the best meal I have ever made. Love my Egg!
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    The answer is until the temp is stable and the smoke is clear.  I don't know where seven hours comes in.  For low and slow, especially one I am being fussy about, I will probably let it work stable for forty five minutes to an hour before I start.  Other cooks, eh twenty minutes or so.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I start the fire with a cube. Let it burn for 15 min, put  plate setter in. Shut vents to your desired temp. Let it get up to temp and rest there for about 20 min. All in all from time of starting my fire it takes about 45-60 min. 7 hours is crazy. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    That's ludicrous 

old lump? You can cook right away

new lump? EHEN THE SMOKE SMELLS GOOD, IT IS GOOD. 

New lump has a lot of VOCs in the smoke and will smell like petro chemicals. When that has blown off and it smells neutral or like nice wood smoke, you are good to go
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    I would like to see the citation on that seven hour statement.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Two beers. Three if its lite beer.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    When the smoke is clean. Depends on the lump, usually 45 mins or so.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    The answer is until the temp is stable and the smoke is clear.  

^Boom.

I usually give it at least an hour for something low and slow. Want to make sure it's stable with nice clean smoke.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I light the fire, then go in to prep the food. When the food is done, it goes on the grill in time to be ready at lunch/dinner time. If I'm in a rush, it probably goes on a little early.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.