Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Concrete Countertops- Kitchen-OT

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    FATC1TY said:
    What's the cost per square ft roughly ?

im having granite installed soon, very good price for custom stone and installer its only 35 a square ft cut and installed. 

I like the concrete stuff though but don't have desire to do it myself. I also have around 75 sq ft to do as well and two islands.  Too much work!

looking forward to finished pics 
    It is nowhere near that. Closer to the $12 a square foot range. Best quote I got was $32 a square for granite and that didn't include removal of the old top which was a beatch to remove (tile). Only thing I would do differently next time would be renting a handheld concrete mixer. The mix was very dry and too much for most drills-- burnt up 2 myself.  I renovated my whole kitchen myself for half the price of granite alone. This included some new custom cabinets on one side, supplies to remove wall, new crown molding, primer, paint, the forms and kit, Kraus sink and concrete. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    @Chubbs Thanks for the info.  I am thinking of doing this in the men's room at work. I have been pricing SS sink stations and this looks like it might do the job at a reasonable price.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Chubbs
    LRW said:
    @Chubbs Thanks for the info.  I am thinking of doing this in the men's room at work. I have been pricing SS sink stations and this looks like it might do the job at a reasonable price.
    No problem. It is geared towards the DIYer. Nice for contractors too. Gone are the days are pouring in melamine forms in a shop and hauling them to a site. Cool product and they also do pool forms. Just FYi
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Nice info. Might look into it for my outdoor kitchen. I can build something with some prefab cabinets and some frame work. Then these. Would be killer etched and stained!

hope they turn out great for you. 

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • LRW
    Looking forward to see the finished pictures.
    My Foodtography

• Chubbs
    Removed the forms this AM. Few area to patch with slurry mix but I kind of like the look of the pin holes. Might leave it. So far so good and well worth the investment
  • LRW
    Looking good
    My Foodtography

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I'm digging this!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chubbs
    I'm digging this!  
    Thanks brother. I have a micro topping to add to fill in the pin holes then a little more sanding and a day or two later will seal. Should be done by Sunday. Would be done quicker but have to travel for work again. Will post pics once all complete
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Excellent job.
    The next time I do counter top's it going to be concrete.
  • Chubbs
    GregW said:
    Excellent job.
    The next time I do counter top's it going to be concrete.
    Thanks bud. Have a backsplash up next. Going to be tough. Old plaster walls and old tile took big hunks out when I took it down. Going to be a fun one
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    This is cool! Can't wait to see them finished!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    @Chubbs--- great job, counter is really looking good.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• Chubbs
    edited February 2016
    jarc said:
    @Chubbs--- great job, counter is really looking good.
    Thanks. It's getting there. Wish I could knock it out by Wednesday like I had hoped by this thing called work keeps getting in the way
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Grabbing the popcorn and waiting for the grand finale. Looking good so far. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,718
    It's looking great!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited February 2016
    Fantastic. We looked into concrete installed by someone but ended up with soapstone. I really like it. Good luck with the back splash. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Chubbs
    jlsm said:
    Fantastic. We looked into concrete installed by someone but ended up with soapstone. Really interested in the final shots and the sanding experience. 

Sanding concrete seems strange. Surprisingly it behaves like wood when using the diamond sanding pads in their kit. The kit comes with 60, 150, and 300 grit. I only used the 60 in a few rough area where some sand showed through. sing it all over would remove too much material and show the aggregate. I lightly went over it with 150 grit and 300 grit. It is velvety smooth right now but I am applying a micro topping mix later this week. This will get rid of the sand shining through in a few spots, fill the few pinholes on the edge profile, and cover up the few trowel marks left in a small area. Then I will post final pics. I cant imagine what it would cost for someone to install for you. This was 1,000 pounds of concrete and my back felt like it was 10,000 pounds by the end of the night.
  • Chubbs
    Starting to look like stone. Sanded it with 150, 220, 300, and 400 grit today (by hand) and starting to seal. Have to clean up the inner sink lip but getting there. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looks really good- can't wait to see it finished. 

Also interested in the egg top- 

thanks for for sharing your progress

Greensboro, NC
  • Chubbs
    Wolfpack said:
    Looks really good- can't wait to see it finished. 

Also interested in the egg top- 

thanks for for sharing your progress

Thanks brother. Going to be a bit on my table build. Got to put in a backsplash and new cabinet doors. But I will document it. 
  • Chubbs
    Here is a view to show the shine on the countertops. I am not even going to apply the countershine product. This is plenty gloss for us. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That looks really good @chubbs

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,163
    Nice job......Getting close to finishing it I see.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • LRW
    @Chubbs any updated pictures from this project?
    My Foodtography

• Chubbs
    LRW said:
    Sorry for delay. Getting there slowly but surely. Installed backsplash this AM
  • LRW
    Looks great
    My Foodtography

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Chubbs said:
    LRW said:
    Looks great.  What did you use for the back splash?  Mastic directly over the existing drywall?
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs said:
    LRW said:
    Looks great.  What did you use for the back splash?  Mastic directly over the existing drywall?
    Yep. Grouted it today with sanded grout. The forms for the counters are awesome. The backsplash sits roght
    on top of forms. Perfectly straight. Easy. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    That looks really great @chubbs !!    Very nice job

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.