Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chinese Style Char Siu Baby Backs

Options
cmac610
cmac610 Posts: 152
Did one of my favorite Asian flavor profiles in the Egg the other day, Char Siu ribs. Cut them in individual bones, marinated them overnight and cooked at 225 for about 3 hours before finishing them with a little coat of honey/soy and hitting them with a little heat at the end to set. Also did a couple of Char Siu pork loin, but really prefer ribs or even better, strips of pork butt. The fat content really helps to make these great.

Craig aka Cmac Cooks
Amesbury, MA
#BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Wowza... That looks and sounds fantastic.. Your last pic is food network worthy.. Interesting twist to cooking baby backs..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    Oh wow. Those look great. At what internal temp do you pull them, or do you go solely by cooking time?

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    You have a recipe for the marinade?   These look great!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • cmac610
    Options
    Oh wow. Those look great. At what internal temp do you pull them, or do you go solely by cooking time?
    @Wolfie51sb For small ribs like baby backs, I go by general time, but mainly by the pullback of the meat on the bone. And with single cut bones, they're also easy to grab just one (or two) for a quick taste as well!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Oh man those are right up my alley. Any chance you could share the recipe? Please! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • cmac610
    Options

Mayberry said:
    You have a recipe for the marinade?   These look great!
    @Mayberry There are a ton of classic Char Siu recipes out there, but I used Meathead's as a base then made a couple of my own "tweaks".

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/chinatown_char_siu_ribs.html

Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • cmac610
    Options
    Oh man those are right up my alley. Any chance you could share the recipe? Please! 
    @GATraveller See my response above...you'll love 'em!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    Perfect.    Thank you!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Those look outstanding! Eggcellent cook.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great.  If you want to keep from the plate Setter getting all messy, wrap it in foil.  That's what I do or turn it over after a steak cook and burn it off.  My guess that is what you do.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I've never tried cutting the ribs up like that. 
    Great looking cook.
  • cmac610
    Options
    Looks great.  If you want to keep from the plate Setter getting all messy, wrap it in foil.  That's what I do or turn it over after a steak cook and burn it off.  My guess that is what you do.
    Thanks @Ladeback69 I did that for the first few months I had my Egg, but have got a little lazy recently. Seems with most cooks, it's just as easy to scrape and burn anyway. With my long, messy cooks, I usually wrap and have a water pan as well.
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • cmac610
    Options
    GregW said:
    Great looking cook.
    @GregW I don't usually section my ribs before cooking either, but for these and say beef short ribs, I love being able to have the marinade and/or rub on all the surface area.
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yum, yum, and yum! Right on. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    GregW said:
    Great looking cook.
    @GregW I don't usually section my ribs before cooking either, but for these and say beef short ribs, I love being able to have the marinade and/or rub on all the surface area.
    It sounds like a good idea to get more flavor in.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Wow that looks great. Bookmarked
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Outstanding!  I'll be giving these a go soon too.  Bookmarked.  
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    Great Post, thanks for putting it up. I always have wondered where they got ahold of those short little ribs! Now I know, I'm gotta give them a try!

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Love char Sui on egg
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks good.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome thanks! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA