Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt at Brisket

Options
Would like to attempt to smoke brisket this weekend.  Looking for a recipe, tricks and tips to smoke brisket.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    Jobug
    i smoked a brisket for the first time last weekend.i did everything that I probably shouldn't have but it came out to be the best brisket"or as good as the best" I've ever ate.heres what I did.i bought a cheap brisket at Walmart "29 dollars" it was loaded with fat so I carved it up and got rid of the excess,then I cut it in half as it was to big for just the two of us. I rubbed it down with store bought brisket seasoning and let it sit over night.
    i used best one lump in my large egg. I put on my plate setter legs up put the rack on and when it came up to 225 I layed it directly on the rack.then I inserted my thermometer,I let it smoke for 11 hours ar 225 without raising the lid once. Finally I took a look and the internal meat temp was 195,it looked good to me so I took it out and let it rest for 25 minutes.  It was freakin awesome. I live in south Texas and had a couple of the neighborhood bbq pros come taste it. Both gave me the nod of approval and both are thinking of buying an egg.  Love this thing. It's about impossible to make a wrong move cooking on them. 
    Good luck. But I don't think you will need it!!!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Here's my tip ... before you put the brisket on the grate, put 3 chunks of wood right in the middle (touching each other) of the grate where the brisket will sit.

When you set the brisket down, it will create a 'volcano' looking mound right in the center of the brisket.

The reason you do this is that this will eliminate any puddles of 'drippings' in the middle allowing your rub to set properly.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Here are a few observations that may be of help:

1.  A good trim of the hard fat ala Franklin.

2.  Rub of your choice.

3.  Air gapped drip pan.

4.  Stable fire at your desired cook temp with plenty of lump.  I plan for about 1 hr/lb at around 270-280*F on the calibrated does thermo.  Fat side down and point to the back.

5.  Waiting for the "feel" in the thickest part of the flat to declare victory.  And not worrying if some of the flat doesn't probe as it should.

6.  Paying no attention to the point.

7.  Giving the cow around a 15-20 min rest if you FTC (stop the carryover cook).

8.  Recognizing that the cow drives the cook.

9.  Enjoying and adapting to the cook as it evolves.

10.  Slice against the grain, on demand.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    All good advice above.  I could had make sure you have a stabilized fire before putting it on and don't get to excited if the temp drops a little.  It will come back.  Try to do a full packet if you can.  Nothing wrong with choice if it has good marbling.  Go by feel not temp, when it gets to195 start checking for tenderness.

Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Go for it.  I cooked my first brisket last weekend.  Weather was terrible, but with the help of the good folks here, it turned out great.  The A. Franklin videos are a great help in getting it prepped.  But keep in mind, he is cooking on an offset, wood fired cooker.  Bit different than us.  If you want to take the time, here is a link to the thread I had going last weekend.  Lots of good help.  
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1191913/brisket-help-please-2#latest

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• jojobugay
    Options
    Just place 10lb brisket in LBGE at 250 dome temp. Crossing my fingers. 

• OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    Good Luck...
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Be as flexible as the brisket needs to be. Best advice I can give. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Briskest are the most fun to cook. Start probing at 190F, no resistance, it is done. I cook at 225F about 70 min/lb.
    administer adult beverages as needed.
    Life is good.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jojobugay
    Options
    Brisket has been in the Egg for 13 hours with a current internal temp at 198. When do I need to pull it and wrap it in foil?  I don't want to over cook it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    When a probe goes in the thickest part of the flat with no resistance. AKA probes like buttah.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    Options
    Also-once you pull it give it at least a 15-20 minute rest on a cooling rack to stop the carry-over cooking.  Then you can either slice on demand or FTC til time to inhale.
    Don't worry if there are parts of the flat that may not probe "like buttah" as sometimes they never get with the program.  The thickest part (as mentioned above) is the key.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jojobugay
    Options
    So don't wrap it in foil and place it in a cooler?  Not planning on eating it for another 2 hours. Also, rookie question what is FTC?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    FTC= Foil, Towels and Cooler.  The reason to not immediately FTC is to ensure you stop the carry-over cooking by letting it rest.
  • jojobugay
    Options
    Thank you for your explanation lousubcap.  I had a recommendation that wait until the internal temp is at 210 before pulling.  So go by the 'probe like buttah' recommendation?
  • admiral21
    admiral21 Posts: 25
    edited February 2016
    Options
    definitely dont cook it to 210.  Check the tenderness in the thick of the flat, let it rest for 15 minutes, then wrapped and hold in a cooler until it's time to serve.

Some briskets are done at 195 some are done at 205.  Just depends on when it gets really tender.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Pay NO ATTENTION to the temperature other than to start checking for the "feel".  The feel drives the finish-line.  
  • jojobugay
    Options
    Pulled it from the egg and let it sit on tray for 15 mins. Now going to FTC. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Lookin' good.  Patience...as the smell is quite enticing.
  • jojobugay
    Options
    I am hoping that it is tender when I serve it on an hour. Will definitely take photos and let you guys know how it turns out. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @jojobugay - At the risk of over-kill, you may want to give the below Franklin video a look before time to slice and dice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU
    Definitely takes the mystery out of the process.

• jojobugay
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap I will definitely watch the video.
  • jojobugay
    Options

Flat end somewhat dry but the point is very tender. Is this common?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    My cop-out answer is"every cook is a journey unto its own".  That said, it is not uncommon for the thinest end of the flat to turn out on the dry side.  I generally foil protect it for the first several hours of the cook but that doesn't guarantee a different outcome.  As long as the bulk of the flat and the point are "there" then enjoy.
    Cook the next one and don't be surprised if it is different.  About the largest variable that you can influence is the incoming quality of the brisket.  The higher the quality the wider the window for success as it is more forgiving.  If you can get prime grade then go for it.  But CAB or choice will turn out great cooks-just a little more attention to the finish.
    Personally I would stay away from select grade but if that is all you can find then you will get some great eats-just the yield will likely not be as much of the "goodness" as the higher grades.  All above personal opinion and we all know what those are worth.
    Regardless, enjoy the eats-grab that point and savor.
  • jojobugay
    Options
    Thank you everyone and appreciate you taking time to give me tips and tricks for my first brisket. Overall very happy with the outcome and the family enjoyed the tender point. It's a work in progress and look forward to my next brisket. Enjoy your weekend!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    For a first attempt I'd say you rocked it!  Nice work!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle