Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Special Eats When Far From Home?

Options

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    We are going to Slippery Rock & should get there around 3.  After I get my toy, it's turn & burn back to Michigan.  After reading a number of opinions about the nastiness of scrapple, I'll pass.
    Scrapple is not nasty.  It is a pork sausage. It has a soft texture that is off-putting to some people - although you can crisp it up easily.  Made from pork, buckwheat and/or cornmeal and spiced normally with a variety of common spices (various combinations often using thyme sage savory allspice nutmeg cloves marjoram).  Flavor profile is well within what you would expect from a German heritage food.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    We are going to Slippery Rock & should get there around 3.  After I get my toy, it's turn & burn back to Michigan.  After reading a number of opinions about the nastiness of scrapple, I'll pass.
    Scrapple is not nasty.  It is a pork sausage. It has a soft texture that is off-putting to some people - although you can crisp it up easily.  Made from pork, buckwheat and/or cornmeal and spiced normally with a variety of common spices (various combinations often using thyme sage savory allspice nutmeg cloves marjoram).  Flavor profile is well within what you would expect from a German heritage food.
    Sounds like goetta, one of The Spouse's favorite breakfasts.  She comes from an German family.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    if you havnt tried scrapple give it a try, every one should try it once, once was good enough for me =)
    I'm not from there, but I lived in the Philadelphia area for 16 years or so, and I LOVED scrapple!  :)  Especially Habbersett's. You sure don't want to read the label, though -- you might see what's actually in that stuff... <shudder>  Tastes good, though, at least to me.
    poster said:
    Im kinda excited to try a sonic dog in a couple weeks. never been, but see the commercials everyday. They look good, are they? 
    There's a sonic in the little town where I live now, but I've never been there. Don't feel like eating in my car, anymore.  I think they just remodeled, though, and have some tables inside.  Might try it.
  • Theophan
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I'm boycotting google. Wtf is scrapple?
    If you cook grits or polenta (a.k.a., corn meal mush), put it in a loaf pan and cool it, it gets solid.  You can then slice it and fry it, and we had that for breakfast sometimes when I was a boy.

Scrapple is the same idea, but with sausage-like pork stuff mixed in and cooked with the polenta/corn meal.  They don't use the best parts of the hog for scrapple, though.  <cough>  Reading the label is pretty unpleasant.  I like the way it tastes, though, cooked properly (crispy on the outside, soft on the inside).

I can't get Habbersett's scrapple where I live in NC, but I buy Rapa every now and again, and it's pretty good.

One thing they have in PA that I like and don't see most other places is "Lebanon Bologna."  It comes in two styles, sweet and the other kind, I forget what it's called.  It doesn't look like the pink stuff most of us know as bologna at all.  And it doesn't taste like it, either.  Smoky, a little sour, really good.  In the Lebanon area they just call it "bologna," and might not even be sure what you mean by that pink stuff.  :)
  • jtcBoynton
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sounds like goetta, one of The Spouse's favorite breakfasts.  She comes from an German family.
    I understand it is the same.  Name changed (I think the Goetta got its name from the butcher that first made it in Cincinnati).  Slight differences of spice combinations which seem to reflect what was available.  They are based on Knipp. Knipp uses oats which were plentiful in Germany and the New World versions often used the widely available corn.  Edit:  I think Goetta is normally made with the traditional oats like Knipp. Scrapple will be made with buckwheat and/or cornmeal.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    So scrapple > spam? If I ever see it I will try it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I hear Nola loves Chick Fil A...
    They're not terrible.  I just don't dig chicken sandwiches.  And they supported hate groups, so I just don't give them my money, just like I don't give any groups that support terrorism or hate money.
    Hate groups??? I can think of no group that hates more than all of the leftist groups. Those who want to destroy Family and even FREE Speech.    Just because others don't think the way they do, they call it hate. Poppycock!!! There may be some right-wing extremist that are get sick and tired of having the left tell them what to do... but much less so than all of those groups on the left. I could write a dissertation on this but this is not the place or time.

Also there is threat of the buffalo :)

That's a baked Idaho fully loaded with buffalo crap, my friend.

Through its family-controlled nonprofit arm, Chick-fil-A profits have funded such groups as Eagle Forum, Exodus International, Family Research Council, and Focus on the Family. These groups proudly and aggressively work against the rights of LGBT people, advocating their criminalization, psychological abuse, and death. Chick-fil-A has not disputed any of these facts. The "5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A" are well documented, showing the funneling of Chick-fil-A profits to anti-gay causes and even a hate group, as determined by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Options
    When traveling, I try to avoid anything available at home. We use Yelp to find really cool places to eat with a local following. My Beautiful Wife and I have used Yelp, for several years, around the world, and have not been disappointed yet. 
    We have found the coolest places that most people typically just drive by. I would recommend this app to those  that travel extensively, and just can't stomach FF/Hotel Room/TV for another night.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    I hear Nola loves Chick Fil A...
    They're not terrible.  I just don't dig chicken sandwiches.  And they supported hate groups, so I just don't give them my money, just like I don't give any groups that support terrorism or hate money.
    Hate groups??? I can think of no group that hates more than all of the leftist groups. Those who want to destroy Family and even FREE Speech.    Just because others don't think the way they do, they call it hate. Poppycock!!! There may be some right-wing extremist that are get sick and tired of having the left tell them what to do... but much less so than all of those groups on the left. I could write a dissertation on this but this is not the place or time.

Also there is threat of the buffalo :)

That's a baked Idaho fully loaded with buffalo crap, my friend.

Through its family-controlled nonprofit arm, Chick-fil-A profits have funded such groups as Eagle Forum, Exodus International, Family Research Council, and Focus on the Family. These groups proudly and aggressively work against the rights of LGBT people, advocating their criminalization, psychological abuse, and death. Chick-fil-A has not disputed any of these facts. The "5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A" are well documented, showing the funneling of Chick-fil-A profits to anti-gay causes and even a hate group, as determined by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Must you pollute every discussion with your ultra liberal political crap?  Siting the Southern Poverty Law Center (an ultra liberal activist organization) for your proof is a bit biased.  Anyway, we're just talking food here. Why don't you "Feel the Bern" someplace else?
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    Sorry, but SPLC is the worst of all hate groups. They spew hate at anything they do not agree with.  Just sayin'... 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    henapple said:
    Sonic... I love the onion rings 

I shouldn't have hated on the Sonic onion rings.  When I tried them they had an odd sweetness to the batter that just didn't work for me but I'm sure some peeps love them. 

The Varsity can be hit or miss, but when their onion rings are fresh they are onion rang bliss.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Theophan
    Options
    Hate groups???  ... I could write a dissertation on this but this is not the place or time.
    ... such groups as ... advocating their criminalization, psychological abuse, and death.
    There are many hugely important issues in the world that are well worth discussing.  But this forum is about food and the Big Green Egg.

Can we please try to refrain from commenting on ANY side on topics that are not only completely off-topic for this forum, but the discussion of which is notorious for causing bitter division between people?

This particular issue is important, and we all probably have our own opinions, but this has exactly nothing to do with the Big Green Egg, and one way to try to combat hatred in this world is to try to get along, ourselves, maybe even to love each other, despite our different opinions on some important things.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Bojangles when I head down to the beach. Best FF fried chicken.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone I may be a little late on this but if you are still in Slippery Rock, check out the brewery on the Main Street.  Very good food and craft beers as well.  

If if you can make it further north, try out Pirmanti's in Grove City (Exit 113 on 79N).  Turn left over interstate and it will be on your left.  Less than 1/4 mile.

It's the joint that made the Pittsburgh style sandwich famous - but not the original restaurant.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I hate chik filet.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I'm a bit surprised at the amount of people on here with usually excellent taste in food that default to crappy fast food when away from home.  That's one of the best opportunities to try new things and have new experiences.

I'm am disappoint in most of you. 
    I agree 100%. We go on long road trips once or twice a year and look forward to trying out local restaurants wherever we go. We use Yelp and Trip Advisor to find good places and have rarely been disappointed.  We have eaten at a few chain places but it is usually ones that serve some healthy options.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,184
    Options
    Asking on the forum yields solid responses. I trust you guys/gals over tripadvisor
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Chick Filet 

@nolaegghead can eat nuggets
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Any trip to Texas or Florida (or really anywhere in the South) includes a trip to Whataburger.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    When traveling, I do try to get food that is not available around here.  
    @Fred19Flintstone when I am up in your part of the country I try to get some fried perch and walleye. Maybe some Blue Moon ice cream for old times sake.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Shake Shack
    Greensboro, NC
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    On our homeward leg now.  Here's Wilma & Pebbles at supper tonight.

Flint, Michigan
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    If you head to KCMO, a stop at Sheridan's Frozen Custard is a MUST!!! They are also in Duncanville, TX. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone.... You hateful, homophobic, transphobic, conservative bigot.  :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Fred19Flintstone.... You hateful, homophobic, transphobic, conservative bigot.  :D
    I'm also apparently a hate enabler.  You know, to keep my hands lily white and unsullied.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I hate hate
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    where should I eat in Dallas next week?  i'll be there for 3 nights.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    Sorry, but SPLC is the worst of all hate groups. They spew hate at anything they do not agree with.  Just sayin'... 
    I really enjoy having a conversation with an intellectual conservative.  Sadly, you don't fit the bill.  Sorry buddy.  Good luck and all that.