Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket - yes/no?

Options
2»

Comments

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    I have two . One in large Egg and older style in my Acorn . Would not light up without one . Should I or should I not would never be a question if you tried one out .
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    So my local Egg dealer here has the Kick Ash baskets on sale...

Buy or pass?

I keep my egg clean, and rearrange the lump and clean out the ash before every cook.  I never throw away any lump, no matter how small, and never have any trouble getting or maintaining temps.  My only concern is that the basket will waste some lump, granted it will just be the very small pieces.  OTOH, it looks pretty easy and could save some time in getting the ash cleared out...

Any opinions on this?
    I love my KAB, it makes pulling out the unused lump so much easier.
    I highly recommend you consider this especially if you like cleaning out your ash on every use or very frequently.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    What's so cool about this thread?-- a year ago, the answers were opposite, but now that people are buying it and using it, they love it. It's a great product, and mine from two years ago is still holding strong!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    One in the MM no need for the large , I have the high que for that.
    Seattle, WA
  • ambergirl
    Options
    I love mine. The KAB and my adjustable rig rarely leave my Egg.
    Woodbury, MN. Large BGE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I had a couple of other high air flow grates before I got the KAB. For me, the KAB works considerably better for both air flow and getting the lump clean before the next fire. My biggest pet peeve was when the fire grate would slide while stirring the used lump and dump it into the ash collection area. That's the biggest reason I like the KAB. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I love you be mine. 
    Dyersburg, TN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I hear @JohnInCarolina is a yuge fan of the KAB...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    How many yes votes do you need?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just so you have another opinion...  I'm a gadget junkie, and I haven't bought one of these yet.  I'm tempted with all the good reviews, but frankly, I haven't had any airflow problems in my LBGE.  I stir the old coal to let the ashes drop and dump new lump.

Tonight, I was doing some baked potatoes and then some reverse sear chops, and I realized I wasn't even checking the the temp.  I was just going on timing and vent settings and everything was fine.

I suspect the KAB is a great piece of kit, but once you know your egg, you really don't need very much.
    NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have one. I bought it for tailgating to allow the egg to cool down faster. Otherwise, I see no need for it over the expanded steel grate I use. I actually like the expanded one better because less pieces fall through. All I need to do is tap the bottom of the grate and ashes fall right through. 

On the other hand, the KAB is really nice for when you need to cool your egg down quickly.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Get one!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    yes, I like mine.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes...........  One of my favorite add ons!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • timmyd18
    Options
    Yes!! It's the first accessory I recommend to friends who get an egg after seeing mine
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I was late to the party getting mine for the LBGE a month or so ago.  I have enjoyed it.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
    I hear @JohnInCarolina is a yuge fan of the KAB...
    I just don't see the *need* for it.  I get why people want one and like them, but I've never felt that cleaning my Egg out is all that difficult.  But to each his own.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Egg_Specter
    Egg_Specter Posts: 20
    edited February 2016
    Options
    YES - advantages of the KAB: better airflow & economy
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    Depends on what size you have. I think they are ok for smaller eggs but a waste on the XL. 
    Funny. I did not have one on my large, then got my XL and the holes very so big that the KA was perfect for saving alot of lump.  Either way, great investment and just easier for managing lump.  No difference in performance of the egg for me.

Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • A5firearms
    Options
    Yes
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Just as others have stated, the main reason for me purchasing this was to be able to remove the hot coals and allow the egg to cool faster. I'm sure there are other benefits to it as well but that is what sold me on it. I only wish it was made of stainless. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Yes I have them in both larges, small and medium. Like them very much.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer