Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about cooking a lot of butt ahead of time

Options
kbutler84
kbutler84 Posts: 140
edited February 2016 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked about cooking as part of a benefit that will host roughly 450 people. I would be one of many serving samples of a dish. If I was thinking of serving pulled pork sliders (or even mini sliders if I can find small enough buns), how could I cook the park ahead of time and ensure a quality product? I was thinking I could smoke the butts a day or two ahead of time, and the use a food saver and freeze them. Then on the day (of night before) of the benefit put them all in a coupe ice chests with a sous vide to reheat them. 

Would there be a better way? Or is this a disaster in the making?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    450 people- that is a lot of servings.  If you are cooking a couple of days ahead of time there is really no reason to freeze.  No harm in freezing but it will increase the time to reheat.  

I have seen the Martin's party rolls that come 24 to a pack that are pretty small. 

Martins Enriched Party Potato Rolls 15 oz
    Another option is King's Hawaiian dinner rolls.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• kbutler84
    Options
    Yeah, I guess freezing is not totally necessary. I have a large egg and may have access to another large. Not sure how many butts I can squeeze into one egg - 2 or 3? I'm thinking is need to smoke around 15 or so to have enough  to make mini sliders for that many people. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are saucing I would get a couple croc pots to keep it hot at the event. If you are a Costco member they have large packs of the mini Hawaiian rolls they would be good with pork. With 1 egg you will be cooking for days straight.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Where are you located maybe someone local can help you out?
  • kbutler84
    Options
    I've got a couple friends and a brother in law that could help out. I'm not even sure if I can do it though. Would require rearranging a vacation that was already planned.