Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

all this planking

bbqwizard
bbqwizard Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With all the talk this week on planking, I think I'll do up some fish myself this weekend. Have any of you planked tuna steak? For some reason just not a big fan of salmon. Love to fish it, just not eat it.[p]phillip

Comments

• bbqwizard,
    How about Cedar Planked Garlic Shrimp with Asiago Gratin? I wrote this recipe in the winter and it sure has been a hit. This has to be one of the easiest planking recipes and you can reuse the plank over and over. Cook indirect with the plate setter.[p]Ingredients:
    10-12 colossal raw shrimp
    One lemon, sliced thinly
    One small wedge of lemon
    2 tbs (30 ml) olive oil
    2 –3 cloves chopped garlic
    ½ tsp (2 ml) pepper flakes
    ½ tsp (2 ml) fresh ground pepper
    2 tbs (30 ml) melted butter
    ¼ cup (65 ml) chopped fresh parsley
    ¼ cup (65 ml) grated asiago cheese
    ¼ cup (65 ml) fine bread crumbs [p]Directions:
    Shell and thoroughly rinse shrimp, leaving tails on. Pat dry
    Preheat lemon lined cedar plank indirectly at 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes
    Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat
    Add garlic, red pepper, and ground pepper to olive oil. Sauté 30 seconds
    Add butter, chopped parsley and shrimp. Cook for 2-3 minutes
    Add ½ the asiago cheese and all the bread crumbs to the pan and toss to coat
    Immediately pour the mixture onto the preheated lemon lined cedar plank
    Sprinkle the remaining asiago cheese over the shrimp mixture
    Cook indirectly with lid closed for (approximately) 10-15 minutes at 400°F (200°C)
    To serve: squeeze a small wedge of lemon over surface if desired
    Serve on the plank.[p]Enjoy,
    Steve
    Team Cedar Grilling

[ul][li]Cedar Grilling Recipes[/ul]
  • bbqwizard
    Steve Adams (recipe),
    sounds great! thanks for the recipe.[p]phillip

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    bbqwizard,[p]I never EVER liked Salmon until I had it planked from the egg!!!
  • SmokinBoB,
    any specific guidelines...do's and don'ts re: use of planks?
    for example, after an hour soak...do you put salmon right on the plank?...or wait 5 mins or so?...and how many mins at what temp?..thanks

• bbqwizard,
    while i like planked fish, i really think tuna is best served with a hot fast sear over direct heat, leaving it very rare in the middle. .. brush it with some lemon buerre blanc or a lot of cracked pepper. . .keep it simple. . .IMHO. .. HTH

• Gordon,
    Here is a link to The Art of Planking that should simplify planking in very easy steps. Time and temperature for basic salmon fillets would be about 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. When there is a white goo oozing out of the salmon, that will be your indicator that it is just about ready. Have a sprayer on hand to extinquish the flames. I pull the plank at about 110-115 degrees (thickest part)as it still continues to cook on the plank. If you don't burn your planks you can reuse them many times. I sometimes run them through in the dishwasher with no soap then sterilize them in the Egg at about 300 degrees for ten minutes. I have planks that have been used a dozen times or so. I have a great finishing sauce for salmon called 'I Dream of Drizzle' if anyone is interested.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Team Cedar Grilling

[ul][li]The Art of Planking[/ul]
  • bbqwizard
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I totally agree! that is what I usually do. rare is the only way to go IMO.[p]phillip