Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IR Thermometers

Options
Going to purchase an instant-read non contact IR thermometer to use when grilling or when cooking on an outdoor griddle. Any recommendations or watch outs ?? Thanks in advance........... 

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    What he said...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I use that one all the time and really like it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've got an earlier version of this one when it was on sale for like $59, but they also threw in a probe with wire which makes it act like a Thermapen as well. I use my IR for checking my pizza stone, but also like today I was re-seasoning a CI skillet and I check the temperature so as to not burn the oil.
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irfs.html
    These are also handy tools if you have a cat! Chasing that red laser dot gives your cat a real work out!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TNHokie69
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    I like my Fluke personally.   Thermoworks is a great company too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I bought a cheap one on Amazon when they had it on a daily deal. It's definitely not calibrated and says it's not accurate in the paperwork. Shows my arm temp as 88 degrees. But I don't need really accurate for my uses. I use it for skillet, pizza stone, and fryer temp. Does a good job on those. Definitely a handy tool to have around. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bettysnephew
    Options
    Be aware that certain surface types can be very misleading on IR temperatures. Generally dark, matte surfaces give fairly accurate readings but highly polished light colored ones can be quite a way off. Most of our grill stuff will be close enough if it has been used a while but a brand new white pizza stone might be off a little. Shiny metallic objects  are an issue, think one of those highly finished All Clad stainless steel frying pans. I recently purchased a new espresso machine and the copper boiler is giving false readings on the IR. Better quality guns have a correction factor that can be plugged in as emissivity to compensate for these factors but most times it is not a big deal unless you put your fingers on the frying pan that reads much cooler than it actually is.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Toxarch ... I bought a Costco inexpensive IR gun.  The offset readings would have been acceptable, but the scatter caused me great pain.  When I started to think about taking three readings in a row and averaging the results, the gun went back to Costco.  Bought a Fluke IR gun and have never looked back ... love repeatably ... it's a very calming attribute.  And, as bettysnephew points out, emissivity can be dialed in for different surfaces to increase the accuracy.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I bought this one from Lowes a couple of years ago.

It has worked very well but as @bettysnephew mentioned, it doesn't work well on light smooth reflective surfaces like a stainless griddle.  Honestly I don't use it much for grilling other than out of curiosity. I'm not using it like a dome or grate level thermometer to guide my cooking. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    @Toxarch ... I bought a Costco inexpensive IR gun.  The offset readings would have been acceptable, but the scatter caused me great pain.  When I started to think about taking three readings in a row and averaging the results, the gun went back to Costco.  Bought a Fluke IR gun and have never looked back ... love repeatably ... it's a very calming attribute.  And, as bettysnephew points out, emissivity can be dialed in for different surfaces to increase the accuracy.

Realistically, how useful is the ability to vary the emissivity setting?

I have a Fluke that is about 10 years old and does not have that feature so I have never actually played with one that does.

If one takes a reading on a surface using the "lowest" emissivity setting and then reads the same surface at the "highest" emissivity setting how many degrees difference will there likely be?

Also, if one looks at the tables of emissivity of various surfaces those factors also vary on expected target temperature.

For instance, cast iron with an oxidized surface at 200°C has a emissivity factor of 0.64 while at an expected surface temperature of 600°C the emissivity factor is 0.78. Unoxidized cast iron at an expected temperature of 100*C has an emissivity factor of 0.21.

My guess is that trying to correct for the "real" emissivity factor for most surfaces/uses becomes a fools errand absent any ability to actually use a contact surface probe to provide some confirmation of any applied factor.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I use the Thermoworks IR GUN.

I only use it to temp my pizza stones or to temp my Grill Grates. 

They are on sale right now too. 
    http://thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Outside of using one for cooking there is always the game of having the kitty chase the red dot, but dogs don't care. Also there's using it to check for drafty windows and doors. Then there is the most frequent use of taking up space in a kitchen drawer. Just the same it's like other nonessential tools - nice to have if you want it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Realistically, how useful is the ability to vary the emissivity setting?

I have a Fluke that is about 10 years old and does not have that feature so I have never actually played with one that does.

If one takes a reading on a surface using the "lowest" emissivity setting and then reads the same surface at the "highest" emissivity setting how many degrees difference will there likely be?

Also, if one looks at the tables of emissivity of various surfaces those factors also vary on expected target temperature.

For instance, cast iron with an oxidized surface at 200°C has a emissivity factor of 0.64 while at an expected surface temperature of 600°C the emissivity factor is 0.78. Unoxidized cast iron at an expected temperature of 100*C has an emissivity factor of 0.21.

My guess is that trying to correct for the "real" emissivity factor for most surfaces/uses becomes a fools errand absent any ability to actually use a contact surface probe to provide some confirmation of any applied factor.

i use one at work with the settings, i could be checking temps on black iron pipe one day and shiny stainless tanks the next. if i need to get exact temps i have to heat a similar piece to a known temp and adjust settings from that =) i dont see a need for it for cooking though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There are lots of manufacturers of these gadgets. And a lot of them are crap (not accurate or reliable). But, this is coming from someone that relies on accurate measurements. 
    FWIW ThermoWorks makes a quality unit also. (I own several Thermapens and Thermoworks products ARE quality made). 
    For me I rely on quality test instruments and at work or play I use this (I'm definitely a Fluke guy at work for commercial and industrial). Very reasonably priced.  It is balls on dead accurate.  http://www.cornel1801.com/video/Cousin-Vinny/lovevideo.html   :lol: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Great company and good price

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html

What they said. I don't use it a lot, but it's nice to have when I need it.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a few of them, my favorite is the Dewalt.  You can dial in the coefficient of emmissivity, I don't.  They're best for relative temp measurements. 

For example, after running your car at the track, look at the temp across the tread.  If the center is hotter than the edges, you have too much air pressure.  The opposite, not enough air pressure.  Or look at your griddle or CI pan.  Find the hot spots.  Cool spots. 

Options
    I have a few of them, my favorite is the Dewalt.  You can dial in the coefficient of emmissivity, I don't.  They're best for relative temp measurements. 

For example, after running your car at the track, look at the temp across the tread.  If the center is hotter than the edges, you have too much air pressure.  The opposite, not enough air pressure.  Or look at your griddle or CI pan.  Find the hot spots.  Cool spots. 

That's pretty much what I use mine for - relative differences.

I've got a few of these things and they all read within a few degrees of each other. I have no idea which one is "spot on". If I need the "real" temperature I'll get a surface contact thermocouple.

For home users trying to find the correct emissivity setting to get a "real" temp is going to be like a dog chasing its tail.

Something else folks should keep in mind is that the area of the surface being measured varies greatly on the distance from the surface. The IR thermometer is not taking a tiny spot reading on what the laser (if you even have on on your unit) is hitting. The laser is just showing the likely center of a circle in which the unit is deriving an average temp. Some units are more tightly focused than others. Many units will have that ratio printed somewhere on them (10:1, 12:1, 20:1, whatever).

Given all the variables involved in trying to obtain an "exact" temp reading I think I'd be content if a unit just would say "Cold, Not so Cold, Warmish, Warm, Really Warm, Getting Hot, Hot, Very Hot, Really Effing Hot, Lava".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    So much for compact @nolaegghead :lol: 
    FWIW IR temp guns are accurate yes. But, for surface temp on CI, Steel, Smooth shiny ceramic and SS the reflection can and does give squirrely readings. For surface temperature a surface thermistor is better suited. But, for this crowd and its purposes an IR gun is sufficient. Right tool for the job. Testing tire temp is workable and would give accurate readings. Carey, try filling with NO2 & you'll be lower on temp due to minimal expansion and contraction with varying outdoor and friction temps. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I've actually considered getting a nitrogen (N2) generator for tires, but the damn things are so expensive I'm just gonna live with regular air.  I'm a nut job about tire pressure.  I have a real time display of it in my car....notice stuff like tires on the east side are higher from the sun, etc. 
    Options
    So much for compact @nolaegghead :lol: 
    FWIW IR temp guns are accurate yes. But, for surface temp on CI, Steel, Smooth shiny ceramic and SS the reflection can and does give squirrely readings. For surface temperature a surface thermistor is better suited. But, for this crowd and its purposes an IR gun is sufficient. Right tool for the job. Testing tire temp is workable and would give accurate readings. Carey, try filling with NO2 & you'll be lower on temp due to minimal expansion and contraction with varying outdoor and friction temps. 

What are the effects of using pure nitrogen to inflate tires?

• Nitrogen is a gas and is still affected by changes in ambient temperature (about one psi for every 10° Fahrenheit). Nitrogen filled tires will require pressure be added during the fall/winter months as ambient temperatures and tire pressures drop. Nitrogen is good but can't change the laws of physics.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Pure nitrogen is dry nitrogen.  O2 degrades and leaks through the rubber faster than N2.  You get less pressure change with temp with N2 vs air.
    Options
    @nolaegghead I filled mine using my tanks of NO2. Pretty decent difference in overall wear etc. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    pretty sure this would hook up to a guinness tap and also used to nitropurge an ipa =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The "normal" air in your tires is only 20% oxygen.  Over time the oxygen leaks out ... that results in the remaining air naturally becoming a more concentrated mixture of Nitrogen.  Thus, I always save the old air when I sell a vehicle and put it in the new Jeep.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Why do you have NO2 tanks?  I can't imagine what you'd use that for....
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @nolaegghead HVAC/R... Dry nitrogen to pressure test and leak check refrigerant systems (no moisture so it's ideal for that reason). Also technically while brazing roughly 4psi of dry nitrogen should be running through the system for the prevention of oxidation of the dehydrated refrigerant copper lines (dry nitrogen is an inert gas thus non reactive).  Also use to purge refrigerant systems, blow out drains, etc. I use it A LOT (4 full tanks on hand as I type :) ). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL oh, gotchya.  I was confused because I call it N2.  NO2 in my circles is very poisonous.

Yeah, when I installed my HVAC at the house I ran nitrogen through the lines as I silver solder braising.  Keeps that carbon soot out.  Although I did, just to play it safe, put oversized filters on the high and low lines.
    Options
    Ya didn't mean to put that. Correct N2
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Pure nitrogen is dry nitrogen.  O2 degrades and leaks through the rubber faster than N2.  You get less pressure change with temp with N2 vs air.
    Consumer Reports did a test a while back and found that tires filled with air only lost about 1 psi more than the same tires filled with nitrogen over the course of one year. I don't find that to be significant but I'm sure there are some folks that would.

The Ideal Gas Law would disagree about the differences in the change of pressure vis a vis temps between nitrogen and air.

For 99.9% of car drivers nitrogen has no significant advantages in tires over air.

Nitrogen does offer some small advantages and if you can get your tires filled for free (like I can at Costco and my dealer)  then why not. If one has to pay extra for it like a lot of places try to charge then...