Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Qusetions on PS WOO or extender

Options

Guys,

Need some insight from experts.  I have a large BGE, w/ a plate setter.  Have been loving the egg for 5 years now, but I see a lot of talk about a woo or grill extender.  I think this would make my BGE life and cooking experience better, but I just don't know enough about them to make a purchase, which I'm ready to do with the right insight.  I assume I still want to use my plate setter, but can someone tell me exactly the setup I should get?  I cook everything from ribs, pork butts, pizza, stir fry, etc.  I try and do steaks the reverse sear method but never seem to get it right.  I thank you in advance for some guidance here.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Why not both? The Woo is excellent for not only raised cooks (Spatchcock chicken) but you can now remove the plate setter mid-cook without having to handle it directly when reverse searing a steak.

As as as a grill extender, that will give you additional realty in your egg.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have the PSWoo2 and extender from the ceramic grill store.  Here's a link:
    http://ceramicgrillstore.com/pswoo2-stock-grid-combo/  Great set-up.  
    Scroll around the CGS web site and you can find details about the PSWoo 2 and the extender package.  If you still have ?? then give Tom a call and he will help sort it out.  Their web site can be a bit of a pain to navigate.
    The above gets you a fixed (in height) second grid, affords the use of the PS and makes shifting from indirect to direct quite easy.  
    Hope this helps.  
    Edit:  If you don't anticipate a need for the second cooking level, then just go with the PSWoo2-definitely the way to utilize the PS.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I have never used the grill extender, so I dont know, but I have a Woo for the large BGE.

For indirect, i use the woo, platesetter, and 16" circle drip pan from ceramic grill store.

1)  Works great because all three of those you can set in or lift out of the grill in one piece.  Works great to add lump or to heat the grill up for reverse sear.

2)  Increases your direct grilling area since the 16" pan fits perfectly in the platesetter and fills in some of the area that receives direct heat.

3) Grilling Direct - raises your grate up to the felt line to make it easier over the hot coals.

Overall, I use the Woo on almost every cook (probably except pizza and havent done stir fry).  I prefer indirect cooking and finishing with a sear on most meats.  It is easier, and you have more control with less maintenance while it cooks.  Then remove everything, open your vents, and put just the grate back on to get the desired amount of char.  

I would highly recommend the Woo/Platesetter/16" drip pan combo for large BGE owners that do a lot of indirect cooking.

Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • Bullhalsey
    Options
    Thanks for your insight guys, I just ordered the PSWOO2 cast iron grid combo with the extender.  Very helpful.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Thanks for your insight guys, I just ordered the PSWOO2 cast iron grid combo with the extender.  Very helpful.
    Excellent decision!!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You will like it....  I like mine!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I had the platesetter already, opted for oval stone 2 grids and the extender. Good luck
    Seattle, WA
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    Is there just one size for the woo?  I have an XL egg.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Jcl5150 ... the XL doesn't have a plate setter Woo.  With the XL, you use the Woo with a 17.5" diameter indirect stone.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    Options
    @Jcl5150 ... the XL doesn't have a plate setter Woo.  With the XL, you use the Woo with a 17.5" diameter indirect stone.
    So if I already have a plate setter I wouldn't need the stone, just the rig itself?
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Jcl5150 ... can't answer that question.  I know the Mini-Max plate setter will fit into the 0.75 Woo (with instructions from Harry Houdini), but can't remember anyone commenting on the XL combination.  Give Tom (or Terri) a call at CGS tomorrow.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max