Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pigtail Meat flipper

Does anyone use this?  I had one for a couple years.  Now I can't find it.  I liked it for turning a grate load of boneless skinless chicken breasts in short order.  I might buy another one if I can't find it soon.  The only downside I have had when using it is that if the food is stuck to the grate in any way and you try to turn it using the pigtail. . . it can gouge the meat as a chunk comes out of the meat as the rest of it stays stuck to the grid.  

Any other pros/cons you have experienced or can think of?

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Use mine all the time. Really like them...
    Great for wings and stuff and easy to do a quick clean in-between flips.
    I like to bump with the flap part of the hook to make sure food is not stuck.
    A little grab with the hook and you can roll smaller things like wings and not really even stick them.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I use mine a ton. lt's not for everything. But steaks, chops, and chicken it's my go to
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I really like mine! I think it's the best tool for flipping chicken parts. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• I have one and have never used it, maybe I should give it a try if I can figure out where I put it. Otherwise PM me your address and I will ship it to you.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I love mine.......just had to track down one for a southpaw.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited February 2016
    I've had mine for 4 years. Still in the package (gift)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I was thinking this would work well for chicken wings.  

For this use, is it better to get the the 12" or the 19"?  Thanks

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    blasting said:

I was thinking this would work well for chicken wings.  

For this use, is it better to get the the 12" or the 19"?  Thanks

Get the longer one.  12" will still leave you with some singed hair and the longer one isn't so long it's awkward or anything.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I use both my short and long ones in the kitchen as well as on my eggs! I will never be without them! BTW I even flip pancakes with mine though it takes some practice to learn to how do it. Also for you left handed folks - the company makes them for you as well, but few retail stores or internet stores stock them. Instead write to Pigtailflipper.com
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    @RRP
    I would like a you tube video of the pigtail pancake flipping.  :-)  I can't visualize the mechanics of it.  My pancakes are roughly 10 inches in diameter.  Were all other utensils in the dishwasher when you decided to try that?  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • I have one, I use it a lot it worth the money. I have the long one, I like to cook
    steaks caveman
  • I love mine.......just had to track down one for a southpaw.  

What??  There's a southpaw version?  That changes everything.  The righty version doesn't work well for me.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    After reading about @RRP using the flipper for pancakes I gave it a try.   Works really well.  It only works if the bottom is done.

I have a southpaw version as well.

I use mine for bacon and most big proteins (steaks, chops, etc). on the grill.  

For wings I still go with long handled tongs.

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • I use one all the time.....My dad made it from an old stainless steel whip antenna.....actually, he made a bunch of them from that one antenna...lol
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    @smak
    Sweet pancake flipping!  I will try that when I acquire another one.

@Brisket_Fanatic
    I think you should keep it and try it out!  Amazon has a 19" and 12" combo for 19.99.  I will just order if i can't find mine.  I appreciate the offer.

Grand Rapids MI
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    We have a couple we made out of 1/4 stainless steel rod, heated and bent the pigtails and welded to end of old golf clubs. Perfect when cooking a large amount of food for fundraiser or charity events. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I have both the long and short versions. The short one gets used a lot. Haven't really used the long one much, since the short one works so well. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It would be cool to make one. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdwcUynZ3Yo

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I use mine all the time. Great tool.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• RRP
    kl8ton said:
    @smak
    Sweet pancake flipping!  I will try that when I acquire another one.

I know it sounds strange and maybe it is because I have years of practice doing it, but once the bottom side has firmed up and browned then I hook them underneath and do a quick flip. Don't think it over too long or you might tear them but by that time the tops have already started to skim over so it's not as sloppy or as difficult as it may first sound!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'm going to try it on pancakes next Saturday.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    For some reason I have always wanted one of those but never tried one. I need more Q gear like a pencil to the eye but hey
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    I use mine for every cook, it's will be your go-to device once you get used to it. Just my 2cw.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Next to BGE the best thing ever invented for BBQ..........I use mine all the time even in the Kitchen turning bacon and whatever!!!!!!!
  • Just got one today and made some steaks with it. New favorite egg tool!
    LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Next to BGE the best thing ever invented for BBQ..........I use mine all the time even in the Kitchen turning bacon and whatever!!!!!!!
    Welcome to the Forum @Quadrafire !!
  • Use it several times a week.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• My wife got me one along with other gadgets a couple of years ago.  It sat in the package forever, I couldn't really see any benefit to it.  Until I finally used it.  As with others, it's now my go to flipper.  Give the meat a little shove to make sure it's not stuck and with a simple hook and flip, it's turned.  About the only use my flipper gets now is for burgers.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Very informative thread ... thanks for posting.  Have always used it for steak and chops, but will now try it out on other foods.  Although pancakes is probably pushing it for my skill set.

How do you store your pigtail?  With the crappy weather we have, nothing hangs out on the egg.  Everything is inside the basement in plastic tubs.  The pigtail point is dangerously sharp and thin at the same time.  I still have the plastic tubing that came with tool and put it on before storing with the rest of the grill tools.  Is that like plastic slip covers on the sofa?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    Tom,
    Maybe for the first month I always put the tubing protectors back on but one day I asked myself why. I pitched them and have never looked back. I have yet to hurt myself as I reach for the handle not the point. Surely you're not going to pass on the pancake challenge are you! =)