Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic Storage

Options
I need to get a garlic keeper for my daughter.  I have a small cheap terracotta one that seems to work OK,  As I did some research, there are many opinions. Most say to look for an unglazed interior and a glazed exterior.  The outside prevents moisture from coming in and the inside absorbs any additional moisture.  Holes at the bottom not top help air circulation so they say. Not a big purchase but want to get something that will work well for her. 

Is anyone a garlic expert? Terracotta / Ceramic - Glazing, etc.  I never knew this could be so complicated.
Milton, GA.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Can't help you with the terra-cotta, but I've used one for 20 years that is made of plastic, holds one head, sits in the cupboard, has air holes in the bottom and looks just like a huge head of garlic. BTW the lid screws on and I have never had a head go bad!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    We keep cloves in small paper bag, top closed with clip.  It's in spice cabinet and keeps them fresh for quite a while.
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Garlic never stays around long enough to go bad in our house :)

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I just leave it in the mesh bag and stick that in a cool dark space.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mine stays out in the open on a small shelf on the countertop. Definitely cool, but not dark. I usually have at least a couple there. Once in a while, I have to toss part of a head because it dried up, but not often. I always meant to buy a ceramic keeper, but it's just one more thing to clutter up the joint so I haven't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Mine stays out in the open on a small shelf on the countertop. Definitely cool, but not dark. I usually have at least a couple there. Once in a while, I have to toss part of a head because it dried up, but not often. I always meant to buy a ceramic keeper, but it's just one more thing to clutter up the joint so I haven't.
    Same here.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    We have a set of Onion and Garlic canisters that stay on the counter.  And we go through both long before they go bad. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    We have one of these, it works really well, and we have more wall space than counter space:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YGAWVA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1455410693&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=garlic+bag+storage

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks all.  I am just going to pick one from the net and not worry about it.  I am overthinking this. @acn those bags look really cool.
    Milton, GA.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I always store it in the cheap plastic bag I grab at the grocery store and then into my fridge it goes, loosely wrapped in the corner.  Occasionally I will find it trying to sprout some growth, but I've never had one go bad.  I have many more problems with onions and potatoes.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Sorry this is a bit off topic but did you guys now if you take apart the garlic so it is not in its head shape but individual pieces and toss it into a small pot or cup and shake it around it peals the garlic rather quick. Best way to clean garlic
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    1move said:
    Sorry this is a bit off topic but did you guys now if you take apart the garlic so it is not in its head shape but individual pieces and toss it into a small pot or cup and shake it around it peals the garlic rather quick. Best way to clean garlic
    I have heard that before and I have seen a YouTube video of someone doing it, but I have yet to have it work for me. I was thinking about it more after my failure, and I think of I cut the bottoms off it may work for me.   I do not know, just a hypothesis.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    1move said:
    Yeah it works if metal bowls pretty well. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man I just leave mine in a bowl on counter. Never thought to do anything else. Ours never lasts long though 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I keep mine in a saucer with the ginger on the counter.  Never had a problem with the garlic. Ginger goes bad once in a while because I don't use it as often. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Mine rest in this house in my pantry.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    3 tier hanging basket, garlic and shallots on top, citrus/fruit middle, potatoes onions on bottom
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    3 tier hanging basket, garlic and shallots on top, citrus/fruit middle, potatoes onions on bottom
    I find that shallots, onions and potatoes keep better in the fridge. Then again, this is your house. Never mind. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    I find that shallots, onions and potatoes keep better in the fridge. Then again, this is your house. Never mind. =)

its been an odd year, theres 4 apple trees in bloom in my kitchen =)  that usually does not happen til things warm up

001.jpg 460.2K
    002.jpg 415.1K
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @fishlessman are your potatoes turning green?
    Options
    @fishlessman are your potatoes turning green?
    no, they get soft after a few weeks but i dont usually have them around that long. i also very rarely buy thin skinned either, mostly just have russets on hand. days are still short up here and the kitchen is rarely over 55 degrees. the doors are usually shut to keep the living room and bedrooms warm =) that settler commercial always makes me chuckle
    fukahwee maine