Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt & Pepper. Has it became cliche?

13»

Comments

• ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
      I agree with a lot of the responses, simple S&P, maybe a little Lawry's Seasoned Pepper, Montreal. Not to say I never use other seasonings but back to the basics is where I've headed. It took me a while with my ribs to get where I wanted to be texture wise etc, but I couldn't find the just the right rub for my tastes, after 9 months of too many "can't quite get it" I realized before my "Egg" I used to just used S&P, Lawry's, some garlic, then maybe add sauce on some, let the rest alone and put several kinds out for guests on the side. I'm back too that and now I'm done trying to figure out what was in that rub that is leaving an aftertaste I don't like. Much simpler too. Great Post, lot of interesting reading coming out it! Thanks.

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Meaning no offense to Mr Franklin but given his current popularity I am quite sure whatever he advocates will be seen as the right rub. I use salt, pepper, a bit of garlic but usually quite a good amount of paprika in most things I do. Add some brown sugar for pork. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    gmac said:
    Meaning no offense to Mr Franklin 
    That was certainly not my intent either. Quite the contrary. Honestly just wanted everyone's opinion on the S&P only that gets shot out like a bullet as soon as someone asks a question. Just looking at most of the responses, almost no one is using only S&P. Or so they say. The mystery continues my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814

I watched his videos and have done salt and pepper only with good success. For me, I know our Canadian brisket just doesn't cut it for fat content compared to what he (and many of you) can get. Until I can get that level of fat, I really don't know if it actually matters. Not saying it's bad but there is room for improvement. 
    I agree that it isn't likely the number one go to rub for most, there's a little secret something we all like to add. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • For the last several years when someone asks what seasoning I use or am using during a cook,my reply is salt,pepper and stuff.I then wink at them and smile.I like to change up every so often.Sometimes simple,sometimes complex.S&P  is fine sometimes but other times I like to experiment.I tend to stay pretty simple with beef cuts.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Isn't it really because what we taste really only falls into 5 categories , salt being one, salt, sweet , sour , bitter and Unami 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I think most spices lose a significant amount of flavor at grill temps for any length of time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Legume said:
    I think most spices lose a significant amount of flavor at grill temps for any length of time.
    I agree, and with the exception of salt, I will layer flavor throughout a cook, much like having several "dumps" when doing chili
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Well, P can mean lots of things.
    It could be the standard black pepper.
    It could be course grind or cracked.
    It could be ground cayenne or a whole myriad of other peppers, red or other colors.
    There are even variety's of S, Himalayan Pink for example.
    Then one can always interpret S as something in the sweet vein of crystal delights.
    Now, I have to admit, I like to add a little G & O, a little white to yellow powder combo is nice.
    But when it comes to seasoning my eggs (the kind with a yolk), my preference is the good ole regular salt & black pepper.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2016
    Just because A-A-Ron says S&P it's been deemed "the way"?  BS!  Beef needs little to nothing to bring out its sexiness. Use whatever the eff you want. I've said this about beef for ever and a day!  Works on some pork equally.  In fact my best babybacks were a simple very coarse kosher and cracked medley pepper. Wanna make it pop? Use Weed Yo!  In your face A-A-Ron!

https://youtu.be/2RRS4k-7YJs
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The only thing I use on a steak is S&P, nothing else is needed…..I enjoy the different flavors that rubs and blends bring to pork, chicken, lamb, large cuts of beef and fish.  Sometimes I use commercial rubs, sometimes I just add different seasonings that I have on hand.   For me each cook is an adventure, I'm usually not looking to replicate previous cooks.  On a separate note, Thank you SGH for your posts, I've learned a lot from your sharing of information and the other experienced cooks here.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited February 2016
    Beef, pulled pork and ribs, I use salt, pepper and sugar, 2:2:1. The variations come in the sauces I make. For chicken, I use a variety, from Mickey's coffee to some fancy rubs out of BBQ cookbooks and an herb-garlic mix I make out of the garden each fall. We like the taste of smoked egged meat too much to flavor the entire cut with a strong profile. I experimented with DP and other rubs for some time and switched back to SPS a year ago. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    salt on steak only, pretty much everything else gets spice, vinegar, and citrus =) steak gets seasalt or kosher, i use iodized for regular cooking to keep iodine levels up. i like tons of fresh garlic, but have powdered on hand to fry with, no deepfryng with fresh etc. have to keep the spice rack full. with rubs i only buy it for ribs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Brisket and beef ribs get 2:1:1 Pepper:salt:garlic. Everything else depends on what I'm after. Pork is usually an off the shelf rub with some extra brown sugar thrown in.

My "top secret" chicken rub that people seem to like is just a 1:1 of Tony's and garlic powder.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby