Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini max

Options
what is a good over all price for a mini max. Is it a set manufacturers price. I have a large and thinking of adding a mini. Will I need the plate setter. I already own a XL so I'm just looking around. My closest dealer is 80 miles away so I'm looking for a round figure before I call or make the trip. 

Comments

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I bought mine for $405.00 and it came with the plate setter from Ace Turner Jax beach.  I would definitely buy a plate setter it is in my opinion the must have piece of equipment for the Egg. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Danny71 said:
    what is a good over all price for a mini max. Is it a set manufacturers price. I have a large and thinking of adding a mini. Will I need the plate setter. I already own a XL so I'm just looking around. My closest dealer is 80 miles away so I'm looking for a round figure before I call or make the trip. 
    Your title said "Mini max" and your body of post states "adding a mini"?
    2 different products.
    mimauler price of $405.00 including platesetter for a Mini Max would be a great price...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I paid $550.00 for mine. It came with a plate setter, nest, ash tool, and a bag of BGE Lump charcoal. I bought a small outdoor table, a large 15x15 ceramic tile and a KAB. Those added up to an additional $90.00. I use an old webber grill cover modified to fit the MiniMax. You can find a durable quality type cover easily for under $20.00.
    I use my old fire place ash bucket to store ashes after each cook. It has a cost of around $20.00. Total setup, toys and maintenance $680.00. It is easy to spend more, but I have not done so, yet.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    I paid $538 for mine, a month ago, they all come with a Nest w/Handles now. The investment went up when I added a Stainless rolling cart, a CI grate, a Woo, a Wok, a KAB, a Chimney Cap & Adapter from Ceramic Grill...

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Any where between $500 and $550 is a good deal.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    At the Lodge factory store, they had it for $498 if my memory is right.  That was without any extras though
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    At the Lodge factory store, they had it for $498 if my memory is right.  That was without any extras though
    Which location?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Danny71
    Danny71 Posts: 108
    Options
    Well photo egg I'm not grammar correct for sure but I really want a mini max to complete my XL. Was asking around to get a round about price to get a ball park figure. Since I posted I called the closest place to me and a mini max is $598. With that said there is a 10% discount this month. And plate setter is $41 so basically I'm getting the plate setter for free and paying $590. Give or take a few dollars. Thanks for the responses. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @mimauler You got a killer deal bud!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Danny71 said:
    Well photo egg I'm not grammar correct for sure but I really want a mini max to complete my XL. Was asking around to get a round about price to get a ball park figure. Since I posted I called the closest place to me and a mini max is $598. With that said there is a 10% discount this month. And plate setter is $41 so basically I'm getting the plate setter for free and paying $590. Give or take a few dollars. Thanks for the responses. 
    Not trying to be a grammar corrector. Mine sucks.lol
    Thanks for clarifying. 
    Also really helps if you give us a general lcation of where you live.
    Others might have local tips and be more willing to chime in if they know you are local to them.
    Prices vary by locations as shipping charges play a major role with heavy items.
    Also finding a local dealer that might be hosting an Eggfest is a great way to get a discount on an Egg that has been a demo for 1 day.
    Good luck.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pricing is subjective. I've seen $420-$599 w/ PS
    $420 is the best :wink: 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Just jumping in here late in the thread, but for kicks and giggles you might want to price out a Small by comparison. It as well as the old Mini are quickly becoming the forgotten step children as people clammer for the new child being the Maxi-Mini. Dealers sense the ability to keep the price high for the M/M as they know sooner or later someone will come along. After all the Maxi-Mini while cute and new and popular is still basically just the Small with a chopped off base and a new carrier. The grate size is the same as for grilling capacity, but the M/M holds less lump. Just sayin - not looking to start a range war! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Danny71
    Options
    I'm tickled at all the responses. I definitely don't want a war among us. The grammar correction statement wasn't rude if it came across that way. I'm about 75 miles north of Roanoke va. I have also looked at the small but like the carrier for the mini max. For ease of transport. Lord knows your not gonna take the XL for a camping trip or river cook out. Again thank each and everyone of you for the input 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Pricing is subjective. I've seen $420-$599 w/ PS
    $420 is the best :wink: 

$420 is only in Denver though.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Danny71 said:
    I'm tickled at all the responses. I definitely don't want a war among us. The grammar correction statement wasn't rude if it came across that way. I'm about 75 miles north of Roanoke va. I have also looked at the small but like the carrier for the mini max. For ease of transport. Lord knows your not gonna take the XL for a camping trip or river cook out. Again thank each and everyone of you for the input 
    Danny,
    I think you already plan to buy a M/M so I'm just adding this follow up for others who might be on the fence whether to shell out for the M/M or consider the less expensive older style Small which has the same size grate and larger lump capacity.

You mention portability. I use a thing called a Pot Lifter that I paid $25 for and I can carry my Small like a duffle bag by myself with no strain to my back. Think about it - a hunched over two handed carry is a strain on the back for one person, but if you have 2 people then a M/M is an easy carry. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    RRP said:
    Danny71 said:
    Danny,
    I think you already plan to buy a M/M so I'm just adding this follow up for others who might be on the fence whether to shell out for the M/M or consider the less expensive older style Small which has the same size grate and larger lump capacity.

You mention portability. I use a thing called a Pot Lifter that I paid $25 for and I can carry my Small like a duffle bag by myself with no strain to my back. Think about it - a hunched over two handed carry is a strain on the back for one person, but if you have 2 people then a M/M is an easy carry. 

I agree that the MM is best to have two people when moving.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As one who has had a Mini Max for a long time I highly recommend NOT buying a platesetter. Go with a Ceramic Stone and Mini Max Woo
    http://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/075-mini-max-woo.html
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Danny71
    Options
    Okay I really like the pot lifter it looks like genius idea. I commend you on the out of the box thinking. The small is a way better deal with extra room for lump. Any body have a idea on the length of cook between the small and mini max let's say at 250f with the same lump. Anyone!!! Thanks 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The length of cook doesn't matter. I have done a 6lb should in the mini it went 8 hours at 250-300 and had lump left. The MM will go 12 hour range at 250 easily. Don't listen to Ron @RRP who the **** wants to bring out a pot lifter to transport their grill? If you want more charcoal space check outt the Kamado Joe jr it comes with a carrier also and is the same size as the small egg and comes with indirect cooking and raised all in one package. The small BGE is a deal cause it's crap it has **** airflow and doesn't offer anything special. If you want denim advice ask Ron.
  • Lit
    Options
    Mickey said:
    As one who has had a Mini Max for a long time I highly recommend NOT buying a platesetter. Go with a Ceramic Stone and Mini Max Woo
    http://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/075-mini-max-woo.html
    I cook pizzas in all my eggs which means I either need 2 stones or a platesetter and a stone. Not sure why I would want 2 stones so I get platesetter a for all my eggs. Do you not cook pizzas? I have never understood this advice.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wow, @Lit someone pissed in your cheerios today.

@RRP is an incredibly helpful member who was offering a solution that works for him.
  • Lit
    Options
    Wow, @Lit somebody pissed in your cheerios today.

@RRP is an incredibly helpful member who was offering a solution that works for him.
    The small is 80 lbs how do you strap that on your back by yourself? Sorry Ron has annoyed the crap out of me for a long time he posts useless crap day after day.  
  • fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Well this thread took an interesting turn. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Lit
    Options
    How is this pic of the small easier to carry than a MM that is lighter and has handles? It's like a handicapped person took over Rons handle and is posting this.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Lit said:

The small is 80 lbs how do you strap that on your back by yourself? Sorry Ron has annoyed the crap out of me for a long time he posts useless crap day after day.  
    Pot calling the kettle black on that one.

Ron is very meticulous.  I do not doubt he is abe to carry it by himself if he says he can.
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:

Ron is very meticulous.  I do not doubt he is abe to carry it by himself if he says he can.
    So squatting down and strapping 80 lbs on your back from behind is easier than carrying 70 lbs with handles in front of you? And did you call me black? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:

So squatting down and strapping 80 lbs on your back from behind is easier than carrying 70 lbs with handles in front of you? And did you call me black? 
    No, not easier,  just an option.

And perhaps :)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I can't speak to the mini max because I don't have one. But for what it's worth I love my small. I also have a mini and love it too. I don't carry the small around very much but when I do I can move it by myself. Although the max does look like it would be a little easier. 

Sorry, didn't mean to get in the middle of anyone's pissing match. Just giving my opinion. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Lit
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I can't speak to the mini max because I don't have one. But for what it's worth I love my small. I also have a mini and love it too. I don't carry the small around very much but when I do I can move it by myself. Although the max does look like it would be a little easier. 

Sorry, didn't mean to get in the middle of anyone's pissing match. Just giving my opinion. 
    I used to transport my small around just took the guts out and carried. My small had really bad air flow especially if the platesetter was in. It wouldn't get over 500 with the platesetter in and that took 45 minutes. The MM has better airflow and a carrier but I had a KJ Jr. that I sold after I got my MM and it was the best of the small and MM and it came accessories with original purchase. If I could do it again I would keep the KJ jr it was better and cheaper.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @lit - this is a prime example of where 2 stones are better than the PS and a stone.  I've got the woo and stones for my small and it's no problem to 650-700.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.